BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My family takes a trip every year to the charlottes. We have been going there for the past three years but theres one problem..we never seem to hook into any large fish(im talking 35+lbs). We're doing everything right it just seems that the big ones are in the open water and not in the channel. Now i have heard many great things about rivers inlet. I hear that in the peak of the chinook run the average is 40 lbs. Now my question is will we catch as many fish at Rivers Inlet appossed to the queen charlottes. I would also like to know if it is accessible by boat? And how long this boat trip might take and where you leave from?
Thanks,
DSFC

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you find a way to capture salmon runs, perfect timing and guaranteed catches, please let me know... for me, I have been to Langara and around Denby island and have done well for numbers, but my biggest fish were caught in the Hakai Pass (just north of Rivers Inlet). Rivers Inlet has also been good to me and I have seen big fish caught there, but I think that it really comes down to good timing and sh!thouse luck. If you are fishing earlier than the last week of July, then I would stick north... first two weeks of August should be prime for the Tyees and a good number of Ho's in the Hakai/Rivers Inlet. (we had a group of 18 at the Hakai Aug 2-5 last year and there were 10 in the 40s, 6 in the 50's and 2 in the 60's... that's the best I have seen on a single trip).

·
Registered
770 Posts
dsfc said:
Hello,
My family takes a trip every year to the charlottes. We have been going there for the past three years but theres one problem..we never seem to hook into any large fish(im talking 35+lbs). We're doing everything right it just seems that the big ones are in the open water and not in the channel. Now i have heard many great things about rivers inlet. I hear that in the peak of the chinook run the average is 40 lbs. Now my question is will we catch as many fish at Rivers Inlet appossed to the queen charlottes. I would also like to know if it is accessible by boat? And how long this boat trip might take and where you leave from?
Thanks,
DSFC
What time of year are you going to the Charlottes? If you're at the wrong time of year for the location for "big fish" --that's why you're not doing any better than 35. Or, if others are getting the larger fish---then you need to get an experienced guide for the location who has fished there a minimum of 2 seasons and preferably more, and if you want big fish---be prepared to forgo quantity..you're hunting for hogs.

As for River's Inlet vs the Queen Charlottes---it's Queen Charlottes all the way hands down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we head down to the charlottes around july 1st or mid-july. It's not that we aren't doing anything wrong, my family owns a 20' jet boat and we cannot get out to marble island and other places. Don't get me wrong, we have hooked into some big fish numerous occasions. We fish the skidegate channel and rennel sound on the charlottes. We have fished rennel sound once and my dad hooked into a HOG. The guides around us in other boats said it must have been a halibut or a ginormous chinnok because the damn fish spooled us. But i appreciate your reply and hopefully this summer i hook into a 40+.
Thanks,
DSFC

·
Registered
117 Posts
You need to fish the top of graham island. If your there in late july then you will be into many larger fish, just fish Bird rock 1or 2 or go about 10-15kms off shore and find 300 feet of water and fish at 150- 170 feet and you will do just fine. Use a lime green flasher and a anchovey in head gear. about 36inch leader from flasher for a slow roll ;)

Steelie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey thanks for the info..isn't bird rock up my peregrine lodge in naden harbour?I think i saw mark pendlington fishing bird 1. I believe there are a few islands known as bird island...BIRD 1, BIRD 2 and BIRD 3 am i correct??

·
Registered
117 Posts
there is no bird 3 and yes Mark fishes there every year. Mark was up there the summer i was up at QCL, i had several conversations with him while he was up. The area is awesome and the best fishing in the world by far!!

Steelie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts