BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been going to Rivers Inlet for the past four years I believe,and cant wait to go up there again this year.
We always go up there third week of August,and fishing is great, even me who is a rookie at this type of fishing but with a great nose for finding fish LOL had no problem finding fish.
Now my goal would be this year to spend more time Trying to get a spring,I know its a litlle late for them but guys get them every time we go up there at the same time of the year.
Now we troll around with a cut plug hearing like everyone else with no downriggers,I know they are hard to catch up there and usually hard work is awarded with a beautiful specimen,but could any one point me in right direction here.

We been fishing the usual spots known to hold springs and doing a slow stop and go troll at least one day out of the three we were up there but nothing but one lost between me and my buddy.
Couse this is all still new for me I kinda get the feeling i'm doing something wrong all the time,if you can feel for me here.

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have fished Hakai Pass and Rivers inlet for several years. Many late season kings are picked up right next to kelp beds. You really need to work these areas hard. Mooch at different depths and speeds.
Its a pain because you have to check your bait often, but it usually pays off in the end.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chadt I'll give my hardest this year to get one i hope.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I assume you're tired of landing coho and would really like a spring or two?

Are you with a guide or is it DIY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah tired of landing those 15 lb footballs LOL,no guide just do it yourself the way i like the most.No finder or any other gear,just the good old way of lurking around and looking for any sign of fish.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You have to get deeper to get to the springs.

I haven't fished Rivers Inlet, but at the places on the WCVI I've been to, in late August it is always a challenge to get the gear down to the springs with the downrigger before the Coho hit it.

I have a used Cannon electric downrigger I'll sell for $250 if you are interested.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never seen anyone use riggers up there,are they legal?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
down-rig … angling with a downrigger is
permitted, provided the fishing line is
attached to the downrigger by a quickrelease
mechanism.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
"All Species: Jun 1-Sept 15: Rivers Inlet Special Management Zone – in those waters of Rivers Inlet inside a line between fishing boundary signs located at Rutherford Point and McAllister Point: no person shall angle with a fishing line or downrigger line which is attached to a weight that is greater than 168 grams (6 ounces) or an attracting device that is not affixed directly to a hook."

Wow, I knew about special zones, especially the one at the mouth of the Campbell River but never dreamed there were other zones. Are these zones usually on inside waters and in place where salmon stack up waiting to head up there natal stream?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I knew something was up LOL,Hey BGM,yes i'm cerious I have been up there four years now never seen downriggers on any of the boats,I guess thats why its a bigger challenge to get a spring,or i'm wrong???

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I belive they call it power trolling,they use 5 ounce weights,the current is not very strong inside the inlet,so it catches fish just fine, coho at least.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I think the jet divers and dipsy divers etc. are legal but require more current to dig deeper to be effective somthing more atune to the Skeena river fishery where they use them a lot. Just good old mooching rigs is what they use I guess. Hakai Hammer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts