BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
407 Posts
Definitely take your gear! A 7-8 weight for bones & jacks, and a 10-11 weight for permit and tarpon. Do you plan on renting a vehicle? If so, a short drive south of Playa del Carmen is the resort community of Puerto Adventurous ( probably about a 15 minute drive). When you pull off the highway into the area you will see a lagoon on your right hand side with multi-million dollar shacks. This lagoon holds some very large tarpon year round and some nice snook in season. I had great success on red tarpon bunnies with a fast sink tip, long quick strips of 12-16 inches and those badboys pull hard, there is some 100+ pound poons in there so be ready. Watch for them surfacing as they have a bladder and show themselves regularly. Once you are done there you can continue in to where the lagoon meets the salt, there is a small flat on the left that holds some nice bones, large jacks and some monster cuda. Walk the beach and watch for tailing fish, also keep an eye out close to shore I have hooked bones within 5 feet of shore on that flat just sitting on the turtle grass. Gotchas, clousers and any other shrimp and crab patterns in tan, olive and light pinks work well on a floating line and short strips 2-4 inches. Keep an eye out for small needle like baitfish, the jacks are usually not to far away, if you find some, the jacks usually come flying in to attack them right at shore and hit like freight trains and are very aggresive. Flat booties are a necessity for the area as there is some very sharp coral arroud, good polarized glasses will be your best friends on the flats also. Another great spot are the beaches south of Tulum, north of Tulum there are many beaches that fishing is not permitted, however south there are some very nice beaches with less or even no crowds at all and easy access, miles and miles to explore. You can fish pretty much from Tulum right to Boca Paila and on to Ascension bay (grand slam capital of the world). You can get a guide for arround $300-450.00 a day, but with a little exploring there is some great DIY to be had. A great resource for the area is www.locogringo.com, on this site there is a map room with aerial photos from Puerto Morales all the way to Punta Allen, you will see the spots and flats I am refering to. If you have any more questions P.M. me.

Bill

· Registered
407 Posts
No liscense is required to angle from shore, only if you are fishing from a boat. Also keep in mind that the first 20 metres from the ocean in Mexico
is considered public land so you are able to fish where ever you want to go as long as there is access.

· Registered
22 Posts
Deifinately lots of fishing opporutunity there. You can also hop on the ferry to Cancun and catch a cab to any of the lagoons and shore fish or hire a boat to run you out to other lagoons. 7-8 wt rod with small bait patterns got us into several bonefish. Take some bug spray in case the no see ums are bad.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
hmm.....

My buddy is planning on getting married there in march, I was flip flopping on saying no go but sounds like I I may have to re-consider!

PG Billy can I PM you for more details if we decide to go?

pat

· Registered
407 Posts
Thats what he must have ment Ortho, the mexican version of the fast cat from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.