BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of heading up to Roche for the weekend and one know what the lakes been like the last week, and what the camping situation is up there, never been before....also any news of the lake has turned??

· Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I went to Roche this exact time last year and fishing was great. I think we lucked out on the weather though as I was in shorts and t-shirt untill dusk.

The road is usually well maintained. I've seen plenty of cars up there.

I camped in the resort site and the first sites as well. Both are nice...I like the first sites though, more spaced out, more of a camping feeling.

G

·
Haven't been there in a while but I've never had a problem driving cars up that road. I would imagine fishing should be good around now..

· Registered
10 Posts
There are several lakes in the area which are quite nice. Black Lake (turnoff is just before the first campsites) has some nice Brook Trout, and it a beautiful lake. I would say it would be very difficult to get in with a car. But a 2wd suv/truck can do it...just need a bit of clearance.

I think the fee was like $10 or something, cant remember.

· Registered
1,437 Posts
This may help you .........

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/roche_lk/roche_lk.pdf

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/rochlk.html#parkmap

Easy to find if you know where to look.

I have fished (many times) .... Roche, Ernest (not the lake to try to get to if rainy and wet), Frisken, John Frank, and Black Lakes. Frisken and John Frank are worth checking out ....... Ernest is very good too but you better wait for a dry spell to get in and out safely. Just my suggestion. Black Lake and Horseshoe are okay ..... easy to get too ....... therefore you can expect quantity and size in relation to the location.

All the lake are within the Roche Lake Provincial Park System. BCFS campsite at Ernest doesn't cost anything ....... please leave as you find it ............ take the garbage with you ......... or no more info. from me.

Now GOFISH

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well spent two disappointing days at Roche....very slow fishing by everyone I talked to with a few people getting lucky with a nice one, but all in all never got skunked but with all the kicking I did in my tube for what I caught I sure feel skunked....Hope to give the lake another try later in the year since the first time there was nothing to brag about.....the lake was very windy making it even harder to fish from the tube, I would recommend a boat forsure next time.....

I used all different kinds of flys to try to get some action, a few guys caught some on green wolly's and balck micro leachs....

· Registered
2 Posts
Just arrived back from Roche. Two days of extremely windy weather. We only fished Saturday - the kids found it way to cold. Got skunked but I sure enjoyed the maiden voyage in my new lund boat though. :D I don't think the lake has finished turning yet, the water is still very murky. The road to Roche was like pavement - even a corvette could get in there. Would have been good fishing if the wind held up. Didn't matter though we still had a great weekend. ............. TIGHT LINES

· Registered
10 Posts
Definately windy up there. I was up on sunday for the day and hit a few nice fish, but couldnt land the big ones. Landed two about 1lb each. SUPER windy though. There were a few brave ones in belly boats, we opted to rent a boat for the day.

· Registered
54 Posts
Matthewj,

How much for the boat rental? That was out of the lodge? I'm heading up next Monday. Hopefully the wind will have tired it self out and stopped. Or at least the huricane winds decreased to a nice light breeze.

Thanks for the info.

B-Daddy

· Registered
13 Posts
Roche

Have fished Roche many times, usually twice a year. Roche is generally a great interior lake. It tough to fish from belly boat, because you limit you range. Boat is way better, you will need an anchor. A car is just fine to get to the resort, but if you want to try any of the surrounding lakes a 4x4 is definetely reccommended

Fishing the South end of the lake I find is best (to the left of the resort is best) in and around Monster bay & the area just before Carl's Flats (the no motor area) at the back.

Choronimids (bead head) for sure this time of year till mid June and be patient. Wind can pick up quick and make it difficult to fish so find a cove or bay that is sheltered.

I prefer to camp on the West side of the lake (Forestry West Camping Area) as it is closer to the area's I like to fish. Also just a short boat ride to the Resort for fresh ice. Got to keep the beer cold!!!!

http://www.rochelake.com/

Check out the link to the resort web-site it has maps. Click on the Photo's tab and it has maps of Roche Lake and all the surrounding lakes and side roads.

Good Luck,
Nickers

G

·
Roach Lake Bets

Try a full sink slime line with #8 to 10 Black Docs when windy up there with a slow oar troll with the odd turn here and there from boat launch side to electric motor only bay. Also, Damselfly Nymphs if hatching.Good Luck

· Registered
1 Posts
Roche lake

I was up to Roche lake 2 weeks ago and didn't get skunked but the fishing was pretty slow. I caught a few nice fish on various flies. Tried everything except my boots to get the first one. I fish from a pontoon boat so am kinda limited to distance. I finally found that they were deeper than i had been told (20' +). I worked a Doc Spratley into shore and out to deep water on the fast drop offs. The regulars said it was an unusual season and that the fishing was generally much better. I was a little disappointed since this was my first time there but will try again either later this year or next. [/b]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.