BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried building there own rod dryer. I had a couple of wacky idea's; take apart a sewing machine for the motor and the foot/speed control, build the rod cradle(straight forward) and voila! Any other wacky ideas floating around??

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
my buddy had built one (not sure what he used for a motor) but he encased the motor in a open faced box, lined with tin foil with a light bulb inside.( no not a grow box). seemed to work allright.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, I built one a number of years ago. I put a rotisserie motor from a BBQ on a stand in a box. The box is really crude, but effective. I made it out of 2x2s. The box is 12 inches square by 10 feet long with plywood ends. I wrapped the 2x2s in heavy, clear construction plastic which I taped with Tuck Tape (house wrap tape - the red stuff). Both plywood ends have an 8 inch hole cut in the middle with a furnace filter stapled over the hole for ventilation but to keep the dust out. There is no heat lamp or anything because I was afraid the plastic would melt. I'm never in that much of a hurry, so I just let it dry au naturel.

dryflyguy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Oh yeah, I put hinges on one side of the box to gain access. I remember forgetting that when I built it the first time. I thought (without thinking) that I could access it through one of the ends. Yeah, right, try putting a nine foot long rod with wet epoxy inside a 12 inch square rectangle and not mess up the epoxy... So, I took it apart and modified it so I could lift the top panel and set the motor, the V-blocks (covered in felt) and the rod in all at once. I run the extension cord out the end under the furnace filter. Works beautifully.

dryflyguy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guy's! Just gotta put the thoughts onto paper and maybe, just maybe I'll have one made by the weekend. I'll keep ya posted!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts