BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need all 12 guides on my rod redone (10'6" baitcast). The current guides are not ceramic and looks like a metal (brass color). 10 of the 12 guides have numerous tiny indentations (I have only used Monofilament line) that fray the main line as I reel in. The indentations look like small knife cuts into the metal, I was told at a tackle shop that it was caused by the fishing line. I was asked if I have ever used braided line and said "No", as I have only used mono. I was given a price quote of $3 per guide and $5 per guide for labor = $96 for the entire rod. Wow!!! it is a $139 rod to start with, I can't see paying that much to fix it. Can this job be done by myself?? Are there special tools needed?? Anyone know of a place to get such a job done that may be cheaper? Any info sure would be appreciated. I have no idea that this sport would cost so much, lol. I sure will be able to fill up my Christmas list this year, lol.

Kingfisher

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
You can check out a guy named Russ Goodwin...he built my sage...I don't know what his shop is called now? I think it's Stryker Rod and Reel repair???? That or it's still called R&A Custom Rod building and Reel Repair....Look up both and see what they can do for prices...I lost the ceramic insert on my rod tip a while back and my mono cut through it as well....this does happen, and you will start to have your line snap on you periodically if you don't fix it...I don't think you'll really get a price much better than the one you've quoted, but shop it a round somewhat, you might be surprised...
Let us know what you find,
Rib

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I just finished building my sixth fly rod this year. this definitely is a job you can do yourself, but the price per guide would not change much and the frustration of learning how to place and wrap the guides might not be worth the $5.00 per. It would take about 10 to 15 minutes per guide if you know what you are doing, so I think $20 to $30 per hour is not asking too much. In the long run it might just be more satisfying to buy a upgraded rod, save the repair project for a time when you feel like doing it yourself and get on with fishing now. Oh yeah, mono will wear into steel guides over time.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Not that difficult to do..I have built many rods over the years and find it very satisfying. But to spend that money on a $139.00 rod???Waste of money if you ask me.....You still end up with a $139.00 rod in the end.....
What kind of rod is it???

·
Banned
187 Posts
send it in for warranty, I hade a HMX that did that and sent it in, and then they stoped producing them so I got a 150$ rebate and upgraded my rod.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Cohokid,

HMX.......... is that model made by Fenwick?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info guys. I found Stryker Rod and Reel online and the website looks good. I was quoted $8 per guide (installed) and Stryker is $7 per guide. I will have to make a decision now on fixing what I have or buying a new rod. I will also check with Hub sports where I bought the rod 2 years ago and see if it is covered under a warranty.

Kingfisher

1 - 8 of 8 Posts