BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha. I live on Vancouver Island and recently started fly fishing up near Merrit. I bought a #7 weight rod for trout fishing but I think a lower weight rod may be better and I can keep my #7 for fishing pinks and steelhed and maybe get a #8 for salmon.

What beginning quiver of rods, of two or three, can be used to fish trout, small salmon (pinks and coho), steelhead, and larger salmon (Chinooks and Tyees)?

How much should you spend on these rods to get decent quality. What are some recommended rods?

Aloha

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've personally got three rods, a 5-weight for trout, a 7-weight for pinks, most steelhead, or larger trout in big rivers, and a 9 weight that still hasn't seen the water. Hopefully I'll be able to get away and try for some coho this fall with it.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i use my 5weight for trout and pinks 8 weight for salmon in rivers as there are normally big springs in the waters at the same time

and i got a spey rod for squamish chum, springs and steelies

HOOK

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have a 5wt for trout, 7wt for pinks if I know there are no chum around ,8wt for salmon and steelhead and a 14' 9/10wt spey for spring and big water.

As far as brands go there are many the best thing you can do is go to a good fly shop and try a few brands and buy the best you can afford. If you are just starting out I would suggest you start with a good 5wt(TFO,Sage,Loop) and a 8wt in the same brands as the 5wt. Those two rods will cover virtually all species quite well unless you plan on going after big springs.

Centerpin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.