BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Does anyone have any hints on how to 'make your own roe'? I have tried the roe sacks, and they stay on but I seem to have more success with roe itself, I just have no idea how I should be attaching it to the hook. Is there a special way to attach it?

By the way...great site. I have learned a lot from all you people. I have been fishing all my life, but I still consider myself a novice and this forum has been spot on for valuable info.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Use a bait loop knot to your hooks Skunkaroo...

What I do is pierce the roe with the hook, slide it up a bit, twist it, pierce it again, then again, and again, as many times as necessary to get a good grip on it with the hook...be sure to pick your spots to put the hook through, ie: the tougher skein part is best...then take your bait loop and pull it over the hook and snug it up to the roe just tightly enough that it keeps the roe from sliding down the hook...when done right you can get a great many drifts out of one piece...

Some pieces will not work so well, they'll just fall apart, but when you get the hang of it, you'll begin to maximize your usage...

As for making your own roe, there are a lot of good recipe's out there, most require some practice to perfect...but all will work fine even if you don't have the process down to an art...if you are looking for a new one to try, give the Brine cure recipe on the pro cure bottle a try...depending on your soaking time and drying process you can adjust for the firmness of your roe...

Hope that helps...

:cheers:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Welcome to the site.
In regards to your question, you can tie your hook on with a bait loop knot. Hold the hook with your left hand between you thumb and forefinger with the eye facing out and the hook end up. Slip the line through the eye and secure it on the hook shaft with your thumb and forefinger. Make a loop with the tag end, bringing the tag end back towards the eye. Hold it with your thumb and forefinger. Wrap the tag end 5-8 times (depending on your leader size, the thicker the leader the less wraps) around the hook shaft starting from the bend and ending at the eye. Bring the tag end back around and through the loop. Lubricate the knot (spit!) and pull on both the tag and line until tight. Bring the knot up to the eye and that's your bait knot! This enables you to slide the line through the eye to slip in the roe and then cinch it tight. When putting the roe in the knot make sure you get some solid "scane" (spelling?) in there to keep the roe together while you fish.
It's a bit tricky to tighten the knot but you'll get it. I use my teeth to tighten the tag end.

I hope this helps, I'm sure the more experienced roe fisherman on this site can give you a better picture. 8)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I believe the spelling you are looking for is "skein"..Slightly drying this side will help firm up the membrane a little just prior to any curing being done and it will stay on the hook a bit longer....Another easy method is to use the bait loop method, then put 10 wraps of "spider line" around the roe to help hold it on...This works well for lightly cured or no cure,fresh roe..............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
956 Posts
vanislealoha said:
Here's a link to a video of the egg loop knot if you don't know how to tie it.

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/movies/bigmqloop.mpg
When tying your bait loops, keep in mind, the shorter the section is for your first set of wraps, the higher chance of your line cutting thru your skein. Be sure to allow your self enough wraps on your first set, so that it holds your skein firm, yet not too firm that it will slice through upon increased tension to your line. The firmness of your skeins, as others have mentioned, is key. I have found that roe cured more on the wet-side for salmon and a little more on the drier side for steelhead works best for me.

When I am doing my wraps, my first set of wraps are generally double the amount of my last set. Depending on the size of hooks I am using, I will tie, 8/4, 10/5, 12/6. Everyone has their own styles, so play with it and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
fishortho said:
I believe the spelling you are looking for is "skein"..Slightly drying this side will help firm up the membrane a little just prior to any curing being done and it will stay on the hook a bit longer....Another easy method is to use the bait loop method, then put 10 wraps of "spider line" around the roe to help hold it on...This works well for lightly cured or no cure,fresh roe..............Ortho 8)
I'll second that method of using spiderthread works good for keeping big chunks bait tight to the hook.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Good points on the #of wraps, Thrasher...I had forgotten how important that is. You definitely want those extra wraps up top for a better hold on the roe. As a minor addition to keeping you roe in the loop. Ultragreen Maxima will not cut thru the roe as fast as fleurocarbon leader does..............Ortho 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.