BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for opinions on using roe as is, or tied in roe bags for jacks and coho. Advantages and disadvantages. This is in regards to the Chilliwack/Vedder and the Chehalis rivers.
Thanks
Gord

· Registered
1,702 Posts
roe has a super nice presentation in slow water, and gives off tons of scent, but roe bags are awsome in low water and stay on the hook alot longer, u can also make ur eggs super tough so they dont pop, same bait for like 15 casts. I like my roe bags to be natural looking cus i use them in clear low conditions. but u can dye roe any colour u want.

· Registered
691 Posts
i use roe as is cause of the time to make bags.Usually i'll make a few bags when i cure my roe and save them for the early morning bite as i'm too lazy to re-tie chunks on in the morning...being darker out.

scruffy

· Registered
1,165 Posts
I find the just roe works better for the coho so that is what I use. For steelhead I have had far better success with roe bags then with just roe. In fact I have yet to catch a steelhead with just roe and have caught plenty of them using roe bags. The big advantage to roe bags is they last way longer and your hands stay clean :thumbup: . Also when winter steelheading you want your hands to stay dry so they don't freeze.

· Registered
124 Posts
scruffy said:
i use roe as is cause of the time to make bags.Usually i'll make a few bags when i cure my roe and save them for the early morning bite as i'm too lazy to re-tie chunks on in the morning...being darker out.

scruffy

Its WAY quicker to tie bags, then to waste time on the water re baiting all the roe that people lose. JM2C

· Registered
691 Posts
Its WAY quicker to tie bags, then to waste time on the water re baiting all the roe that people lose. JM2C
[/quote]i agree with you about the bags and i do use them but i guess it all depends on the roe and how its kepted on the hook i usually get atleast 6-8 cast on roe before i rebait...i know bags last way longer but how fresh is it after as compared to a new chunk. :2cents:

scruffy

· Registered
1,266 Posts
ambler said:
I came online tonight planning to ask this very question. I'm going to make up some bags for the Stamp, in case I make it over there....
Ummmmm.... Unless you're planning your trip for AFTER November 1, and intending to hunt below The Bucket Only, leave the roe and bags at home. The system is under a Bait Ban until then, and only opens below the Bucket after Nov. 1 (as per the last several years BTW).
Hate to see you wander back home carrying a Ticket, and not your rod :wallbash:

And BTW, we can keep wild coho here (IF you can catch them that is ;D)

Cheers,
Nog

· Registered
12 Posts
I prefer skeined roe over bags but when it gets cold I go to bags since they last much longer and I can keep my hands drier. I think it's good to generate a supply of both since there are times that one is perferred and you can never have too much good bait on hand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.