BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Trying to tye some roe sacks up for the upcoming steelhead season, however I am having some issues. Anyone have any tips or tricks for getting them made up. Or does anyone know of any websites that one could learn exactely how to make them. Anyway let me know.

Thanx Fyr

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
hey firefighter....
You'll want some "magic thread" or something similar so you don't have to tie any knots...this stuff works great as all you have to do is wrap it a few times around the top of the roe bag, pull it tight, and then wrap it a few times more...I find it holds up quite well...
vary the size of the bags as well, I find sometimes, like with the vedder these days, you'll want to have some larger roe bags to suit the conditions, so mixing up the amount of eggs you put in each sack is a good idea...
hope that helps,
rib

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Hey fyrfyter77, welcome to the site. All you need is the roe sack mesh, your choice of colour, and some
spider thread . Place 3 to 6 salted or procured eggs in mesh then wrap the thread around a few times then
snap off. trim the excess mesh and repeat. Run your hook throu the mesh just under the spider thread then
pull the bait loop out and around the sack and sinch up to the top. you may only need a half dozen a day
as this method holds together pritty good cast after cast.
Good luck and seasons greatings...Marko.. :D

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I cured mine on the skein, then cut a bunch up as just gobs of roe, then took the rest and separated it into smaller portions to tie the roe sacs with...if you have a good sharp knife handy just use that to separate some of what you've cured into roe sac sized portions...you'll also find a lot of single eggs will fall off the skein, and some will be loose...I found it easier to divide this all up into small piles for each roe sac and then just start tying the sacs mass production style...
let us know if you have any more questions,
rib

·
Registered
917 Posts
Run your hook throu the mesh just under the spider thread then
pull the bait loop out and around the sack and sinch up to the top.
Good advice Marko. That's how I usually attach my roe bags. This year, I've been experimenting with just sticking the roe bag on and letting it hang at the hook bend. I found that this worked pretty well. This idea is from the "Westcoast Steelheader" where one author seems to favor this method. Of course, if you want to add wool, then you'll have to pull the bait loop around the sack. The book also suggests making roe bags with Jensen eggs. I've never tried it - but it might be a good idea to tie a few... ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.