BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I am heading out to Ross lake on Friday afternoon. Will be meeting a fishing friend up there and will be staying at the Provincial Park.

Has anyone been up there fishing in the Ross lake this year? If so what fly's were working and where? We generally fish near the mouth of the Skagit as it enters the lake. We have had great luck with nymphs and dry's once they start feeding during the day. Royal caochman and rubber legged hoppers work well in August. Not sure what will work this early and with the cooler weather we have been having.

I have also heard the mosquitoes are going to be worse this year.

When I get back on Sunday night or Monday morning I will post a report.

Regards....

LJK

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just got back yesterday from a 3 day trip. Mosquitoes were pretty bad so make sure you have lots of spray and Citronella(Spelling???) candles. Fishing has been slow but still 6-10 hits every trip out. Lots of small fish but did get a couple of 15" fish. If you fish the mouth it's the hares ear and black stone fly. If in the weeds try dragons and leeches most anywhere. The bigger fish I got was on the stonefly.

Cheers, Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob, I will try the stone flys. Never thried them at Ross Lake. Did real well on the Deschutes River in Oregon on the best Stone fly hatch I have ever seen. They were so thick they were in your hair and on your body. Boy did the trout love them and you could not put your fly on the water with out an immediate hit. Would love to catch that time again. I will do a followup report after this weekend.

The mosquitoes are really a problem up there. We camp in the open field as the sun and breeze seem to keep them away. In the trees and near the water pump they are always thick.

Have a nice day....

LJK

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I went up this weekend and the weather was not great. Had a lot of wind which helped keep the mesquitoes down but there is no shortage of mesquitoes. The lake is really full, the fullest I have ever scene it. The fishing was moderate to slow. We caught some on gold bead head damsel nymphs and gold pheasant tail nymphs. Tried dry flies but the only fly they would take was mesquitoe imergers or dries. Tried a bunch of flies but kept going back to the nymphs. Got 8-10 fish each time we went out. I did hook up on a couple that were 3 lbs but most were in the 14-15 inch. Found the morning was better than in the evening because the wind came up in the evening and really blew by dusk. I will go back up in August and maybe the weather will warm up and the fishing will improve. I am taking off 2 weeks at the end of August and first week of September and may go exploring up in the Prince George are, going east to the lakes out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.