BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the Rubbermate Prawn Trap I made... it cost about $10.00 - I already had the weights, and wire mess.

With a line two both corners the trap will pull up edge on to minimize drag. I have no hole in the side so the sent only comes out the enterances - and some out the top. And zap straps are easier way to make the netting tight, as opposed to stiching.

I maded wire funnels as enterances. They work well but if I was to make a new one I would make them so they point up, thus the prawn comes in and has to go down to get the bait. I used a 5lb dumb bell and 3lb wieght. I have cut holes in the top and bottom to make it sink faster but I don't think that maters to much.

Zap straps were half the cost. I have used it a summer and it has caught alot of prawns and is still holding up well.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
730 Posts
locally

I go prawn fishing once in awhile off belcarra, any prawns up indian arm, what do you use for bait??

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never prawned in Indian Arm or Howe Sound, mostly I go off the Gulf Is. But I am have heard of people prawning in Howe Sound... though, with the two pulp mills I wonder. And yes most of the prawn trap was made with a Swiss Army knife.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
bigjay said:
But I am have heard of people prawning in Howe Sound... though, with the two pulp mills I wonder.
There are NO prawns in Howe Sound!! :wink: I hear the last one was caught, but it tasted really really good! :lol:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wonder was on if prawns were in Howe Sound but rather if the prawns had a dioxsin (sp) sause.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
bigjay said:
My wonder was on if prawns were in Howe Sound but rather if the prawns had a dioxsin (sp) sause.
Have fun, Jason
Jason.....I was just giving you a hard time.........anyhow.....I look like the fool as I have no clue what you are talking about. I have been eating Howe Sound prawns for years (mind you I would not drop a trap close to Port Mellon or Woodfibre) and with the exception of a stutter.....two ears out of alignment........a foot that drags behind me when I walk and a horrific looking "outy" of a belly button I think they are okay.

In all honesty though we have had outstanding success over the years in the Sound and there are many good areas.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I uses wirer that does not rust to attach the top to the bottom and made hole for it to go through. I punched the hole out with an awl, however it would be better to drill them.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
hey bigjay how many prawns can that trap hold? have you had it loaded yet?

C.K.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got about 100 in one hall but I don't normally get out until after the commercial season starts in May. Right now and back to through the winter you can get chocker block full traps... and they'er bigger.
There are some great places for summer prawning like Cortez Is., Pendrall Sound, but the gulf Is get hit pretty had by the pros.
It is real good that the Commerial prawners in the straight use trap and don't trawl for them. Draggers are bad for the sea... now I am going to rant... has any one ever heard this?
Years ago there was a study that found dragging caused ecosystem not normally conected to meet each other. The palgic where fish larvi live with the ocean floor that has many fish eating - tiny - inververtabrets, like the hydrazoian. By scraping the bottom these little sea anemony types get moved into the water columb and start catching fish larvi normally not at the bottom. This causes less fish.
Like shores without sea otters - not river otters in the ocean, they don't make a good coat - that have no kelp and amazing # of shell fish - urchints mostly. But kelp like mangrove is a rearing habitat for fish and fish stock have decline because not kelp is around. Kelp bed should be every where but now they are only in high current areas cause of the urchint.
Sorry for the rant, Jason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts