BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was fishing at a bar today. Macdonald, Farmer's, Bowmans i've heard it called all these names. fishing was spotty i lost, 2 dad landed one. anyways, about an hour before i intended to leave 2 gentlemen who had been regularly hooking fish lower down the bar begin to leave. i was going to work my way down and fish that hole after they left. so i make one more cast upstream and begin the bounce. whaddya know? some young guy from up the bar also saw these two gents leaving and decided he would rip his boat down and take their place. whatever, no biggie.. however, this particular person dorve his boat at near full power within 20 yards of shore, right over my line. caught up in his prop my line peeled off the spool and my drag started making funny noises. i had to yell at him 3 times before he caught on. the he kills the motor, points the boat towards where our two original gentlmen were just leaving and once again guns the motor. i was forced to jog downstream in order to save what i could of my line. when i get there, our culprit has pulled his boat on shore, tilted his motor up and is handlining in the rest of my line and leader that was dangling from the motor and making no effrort to preserve it. i was forced to cut the line near the rod and began to unwrap the rest from the prop. an what does our friend do? he drops the tangled mess of line and leader at my feet, walks to the front of his boat and begins retying his line so he can get fishing again!!! i spent another 5 min. unwrapping my line from his prop and cleaning up the mess. the whole time, the fellow doesn't even look at me let alone say a word. not an apology, not a "Here, let me help you with that", no offers to replace lost line/gear whatever. and he made no effort to save the line he was handlining in. it could have been coiled nicely and i could have merely unwrapped the other line from the prop and everything would have been fine. i ended up packing it in right there and leaving. his carlessness ruined what had been an enjoyable day on the river for me.

it is people like this that ruin the fishing experience for everybody. The boat was a brown 14-16ft aluminum outboard, with the name S.S Prospector on the starboard (right) side of the hull. all i can say is i hope the young man who owns this boat had better learn some river etiquette. perhaps Mr. S.S Prospector you are reading this right now. did you happen to notice the other gentleman who also moved down towards where you were fishing? this gentleman walked his boat down, tight against shore, avoiding other fisherman's lines, saying howdy, escuse me, sharing a few comments and tips etc. that is how it is done. not by shoving off, firing up your motor and barrelling down the river 20 yards off the bar.

i could be abusive and call the boat operator a dick, moron, idiot etc. but that does not accomplish anything. the closest i will come is to say i was tempted to simply cut my line and leave it on your/his prop. you could have dealt with it yourself. everyone please us this aas a learning experience and please use courtesy, respect and etiquette whil on the water.

· Registered
1,386 Posts
i could be abusive and call the boat operator a dick, moron, idiot etc. but that does not accomplish anything.
:lol: :lol:

I agree, one could probably write a book on Fraser River Boating Etiquette with lots of real life examples. For all who read this post and use thier boats on the Fraser, be courteous. What if you had forgotten something and needed to borrow a hook/swivel/BB etc...or what if you ran out of gas, or the motor broke down. Your actions will always come back to bite you. If you have been curtious to the other fisherman on the river, they will be courteous back. Maybe give you a tow, some gas or similar. Think about what you do before you do it.

· Registered
4 Posts
Another jerk in a big boat!!!

We where achored in the Peg Leg area yesterday in the Fraser and a White North River came out of the gut and right toward the back of our boat. He had all kinds of river as we where the only boat achored in that area. He could have pulled right into the main stream of the Fraser and avoid us completely. The wake from his boat would have been a good reason for this as we where in a 14ft Prince Craft and had 3 persons in the boat. Finally our friend hollered Move out you Jerk.
My husband gave him the finger. He had a small child with him and I was not impressed as he was teaching such a poor attitude.
We did not notice but someone from shore also made a jester and the operator of the boat made a quick U turn and we thougtht at first he was coming to harass us. Then thought no ---- he must have a friend on the shore. When he got close heading to shore the words started to flare and the fellow on shore told him he had the whole damn river why would he try to run at our boat. What an ______.
The boat operator mouthed something and left. It is so hard for me to believe the attitude of some operators. Money doesn't buy your privelege to travel with out the safety and enjoyement of others on the river. The fellow on the shore gave us the thumbs up and we appreciated his support.

· Registered
940 Posts
It makes you stop and wonder, where someones motives and intentions changed on their way to the river. For me, it is a time out on the water getting away from the crazy lives we lead at work and enjoying the great natural resource that we are fortunate to have, and doing whatever I can to try and save it.

· Registered
24 Posts
Sockeye season is not fishing.
Why is everyone so surprised at the behaviour of others??
Sockeye fishing is full contact and those unprepared for that type of attitude should not be on the water.
Wait 3 weeks for the season to end.

· Registered
224 Posts
How many morons does it take to ruin your day on the water?

A. 1

B. 1

C. 1

D. All of the above.

I hear you. I get just as angry and frustrated as the next person. I'm sure most of these knuckle-draggers have never read "The Compeat Angler", which has to be the quintessential example of angling ettiquette and sporting attitude.

HOWEVER, it is easy for us to sit back and play the victim. I think it is OUR responsibility as to what enjoyment we get out of fishing. I am not saying it is acceptable to be rude, to leave garbage everywhere, or to poach. It is just a hard fact that you cannot change someone that does not want to change and you are just adding to your own frustration and stress thinking you can.

Why do we never hear of these problems on the interior lakes? the Thompson? the Dean? There are places I can go on the Fraser, Vedder, Chehalis, Cap, Seymour, Squamish, virtually any stream and not experience these problems. So, when push comes to shove, I say that MY angling pleasure is MY responsibility.

Dinsdale.

· Registered
1,437 Posts
Well stated Dinsdale .......... kinda like ...... "IF YOU FISH IN A FRYING PAN THEN DON'T BE SURPRISED WHEN YOU GET BURNED"????

Funny how time and time again people crowd onto the bars with names and line up like cattle to the trough. Then when another cow or bull gets eager, anxious, and steps out of line it has a ripple effect all the way down. BTW cattle aren't known for their brain power now are they????

If you choose to fish in a "Gong Show Meat Market" you can't really complain about what happens. Personally, I have chosen to fish bars where the most people I've seen in over 500 yards is 6. Closest person was about 100 yards away. But ....... there are some that say ........ you gotta fish Grassy, Bowmans, Peg and other bars like that because that's where the best fishing is. I, for one, certainly hope you all keep with that thought process as it's only taken me an avg. of 40 min to catch my 2 Sockeye every time I've been out this year. And then after doing so, on many days, I have enjoyed nailing a spring on my bar rod after that.

I'm with you Dinsdale ..... I create my own destiny and fishing experience ........ give me a peaceful stretch of water on the river so I can enjoy my angling experience. But if I choose to be part of the show ..... then I should remember ...... the SHOW MUST GO ON!!!

GOFISHING 8)

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
big_hitter, my friend you are way off base there. it is exactly that attitude that leads to the experience i had. the combat fishing could easily be minimized if everyone observed a few simple rules of etiqutte. i know sockeye is a meat fishery and i expect there to be crowds. i also expect the occasional jerk out there, but like i said, a few simple rules of etiquette can minimize these problems.

dinsdale and go fish, i hear what you are saying, and if i could access the good fishing away from the crowds on the fraser i would. and i try to avoid the crowds as best as possible by not fishing grassy, peg leg, wellingtons etc. and fishing the smaller bars. and i often just fish the vedder. but when my dad asks me to come out and help him fill the freezer, i'm not gonna say no. he wants the fish and i can help him get them. however, i don't own a 20 foot jet boat or even a 50hp motor. and judging from go fish's avatar, he has a pretty nice boat. i use a 13ft boat, and a 9.9hp. and i wouldn't feel comfortable heading more than a couple clicks up and down the river. it's dangerous enough in my boat. so some of us poor souls are stuck to fishing the more accessible, hence more crowded bars. if you know of bars that i could safely access in my boat, and are not so crowded, please enlighten me.

as far as the Thompson and interior lakes go, they're entirely different. a lake is much different than the fraser. nuff said there. and the Thompson? just about everyone i've met on that river has been a gentleman, courteous and observed etiqutte. the Thompson is a classic and noble river and somehow doesn't seem to attract the, pardon the expression, riff-raff the fraser does.

· Registered
606 Posts
I came into the beach two nights ago and after waiting for a clear opening slipped in between a few guys..Thought the way was clear and inadvertently drifted over one guy's line partly....He said he was waving me off , but, I honestly didn't see him....After making immediate apologies and such he just kept on and on about it...I asked him what he would like me to do or say to make up for my mistake, he just muttered on about stupid people not looking . I guess some people are just permanently crabby...
Most fellows I run into fishing soon learn that I will do anything to help a fellow fisherman have a good outing and enjoy his time on the river..... :?
Now for the peckerheads who intentionally cast at passing boats trying to hit them ,,,gentlemen, if this applies to you,you are taking a very large risk with my health and those in my boat from horrific injury and/or death,also, if that doesn't sink in far enough....Your health could be dramatically impaired, after getting chased back up onto the beach by my boat and having a 230 pound rather irate fisherman come over the bow and onto your stupid dumb a$$....
Thankfully my son and I are OK after having just that done to us at Pegleg a few days ago,,at least I now have a full setup including leader saver and about 100 yds of line this less than wise angler lost into my boat after bouncing his 4 oz weight off my windshield frame(imaging if it had missed the windshield and taken out my eye or my son's)..Enough said I hope. Please pass the word to anglers you see on the beach to wise up and stop this absolutely ignorant practice immediately if they are doing this....

· Registered
24 Posts
I'm not saying this is how it should be.
I'm saying this is how it is.
If you are going out on the Fraser and expecting something different you are wrong. Stop coming here and whining about it.
There are plenty of instances of altercations on all waters throughout the province.
Like the man said, it only takes 1 moron to ruin your day.
I'm not that moron since it's not worth my while to go out during sockeye season.

· Registered
176 Posts
What Steelheadstalker should have done was to leave the line wrapped up in Richard Craniums lower unit. Line does magic on the seals. :roll:
I think that most people view the Sockfest as a meat fishery, but it doesn't have to be. I try to find a spot either on the bank or to anchor up. I do on occasion fish elbow to elbow, but not usually. It just irritates me. :shock: Too many crackers.
And speaking of crackers, it's the main reason I rarely fish the Vedder anymore. I love the river AND the numbers of fish, but the older I get, the less I tend to put up with.
I fish the "T" on occasion and love the manner in which fishermen conduct themselves. I think mainly that is due to the fact that the fishermen are the hardcore purist types, and if you encroach on one of them you wil be notified as such and consider it a lesson learned. I'm constantly asked if it's ok to fish near you. :thumbsup: I always respond sure, and I appreciate being asked. I'm no FISHHOG 8)
As far as getting the side of my boat dented by some a$$hole, or worse yet hit on the noggin...... All's I can say is you had better be a track star. I've had boats motor right through where I'm fishing, and I'm thinking why the heck isn't that idiot out in the channel where he should be, and yes.... I've been tempted, but never would.

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
am i whining and crying about this big_hitter? is that what you think i'm doing? if so, please reread the posts. i am not whining and looking for sympathy. i am merely attempting to point out that not being courteous on the river can ruin the day for everyone. i am letting people know what i think of people that have zero respect. and by posting my experience i am trying to allow others to use this as an example as what not to do. i also do not expect there to be no altercations on the Fraser, it's not the Skagit or the Thompson. i am prepared to deal with such altercations. as i said, i'm posting this so others may use it as a learning experience. if you decide you don't want to fish the Fraser during socleye season because you don't want to deal with this sort of thing, that's your choice. i prefer to fish elsewhere during sockeye season as well, but on occasion i will help my dad fill the freezer.

i seem to be getting some very antaganostic vibes from you buddy. you wouldn't happen to own a brown boat with S.S Prospector on the starboard side now would you? :wink:

· Registered
24 Posts
Well, someone is taking my comments personally.
Read the entire thread, and take a look at some of the other b.c. fishing message boards.
Everyone is complaining about the terrible behaviour of people.

Like I said I don't bother with the Fraser during sockeye season.

· Registered
606 Posts
Wasn't motoring through where guys cast,,this casting fool gave one heck of a might heave to reach my boat..He deserves whatever happens to him if he does it again..I never get close to guys fishing and extend myself to minimize wash for guys up to their jewels in the river...
My point just tries to show what mental midgets are out there during the summer...
Have a safe one everyone......Be nice to each other and the fishing will be a pleasant experience for most...
Crabby people borrow some of your wife's MIDOL....

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you know what big_hitter? i don't take any of your comments personally. i just notice that you seem to be particularly antaganostic. and yes, i've read the other posts. i am one of many people who have posted their experiences. all i did was make a post and asked people to learn from it and use river etiquette. is there a problem with me doing this? you have made your point that you disagree with me and that it should be expected on the Fraser, which is why you don't fish the sockeye. all well and good. however, i do not understand why you take such offence at my post. it was not intended to offend anyone and merely to allow people to understand that etiquette can go a long way to improving fishing conditions on the Fraser.

· Registered
12 Posts
Hey stalker, I really appreciate you keeping your cool! Hopefully the jerk will realize what he had done and how lucky he was to get away with what he ignorantly did. You are a great model for the rest of us.
And, you know guys, the great majority of guys sharing the river from boats and from shore are very courteous and helpful.
By the way, could somebody post a good on-line map of the fishing bars and islands on the Fraser?? It has been done before, and I didn't bookmark it. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.