BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having a lot of fun last night around the fire at the Campground with a couple of members, we all set out to our fav spots at first light. I had a good first 1/2 hr. then arrived at some water that did not look very fishable. There were three guys fishing a smallish run of fast water. Looked like they had been camping nearby for a day or two.

The next 5 minutes of observation produced three springs for them, all snagged and released. Three foot leaders, lead and a float and a BB size piece of wool...Just casting over and over into the same run and raking hooks into fish. You could not see the fish in the water, but clearly they were there in large numbers......I left and returned to my car......Over the next few hours I observed the following.........

Five guys using the same methods in a small run at the top end of Tamahi Rapids, clearly intentionally snagging and being VERY successful at doing so....dragging fish up on to the rocks and kicking them back into the river.

From Tamahi bridge to the bottom of boulder hole (approx. 600yds) 93 people fishing, and on close examination I would say half of them were intentionally lining/snagging fish from this area.

Three large springs snagged by a fellow at the Osborne Rd.hole...His gear consisted of a 2oz. betty a 4 ft.leader under a float that was set at around 12 feet for about 8 ft. of water. One small piece of green wool that was never looked at in 1/2 hr. of fishing.

Six or seven guys intentionally snagging chum in a small sidechannel almost directly under the crossing bridge. In 20 minutres, they beached 3 chum and all were kicked back into the river

Five guys below lickman snagging fish over a two hr. period, bonked two coho and left with them. This run was 20 feet long, and 4-6 ft. deep and they just snagged fish after fish after fish.

When I get home my wife asks if I had a good time at the fishout.I answered yes, but I feel totally disgusted by what I witnessed today. Almost everywhere, fish were being snagged by people you would not expect to be doing this....They were experts at snagging fish in areas that you would likely pass by on any other day....First class gear and casting expertise that clearly identified them as seasoned vets on the river.

What is it that drives people to snag fish all day and in most cases just boot them back into the river? I have read of education for the inexperienced, so they can fish ethically.....This is way beyond any educational courses boys and girls....This is a sick epidemic that is plaguing
all rivers in the Fraser Valley, and will prevent me from returning.

On the plus side, I hooked two coho in the morning and lost them both, then swung down to the lower river where I lost two more after brief hookups, then finally landed a pretty jackspring in the 4-6 lb. range. All fish hit the wool/jensen egg combo or the #3 silver vibraax......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Gald to hear the fishout part of the weekend was a blast. I would invite anyone here who says that there is too much bitching about the ehthics and that it is'nt that bad on the vedder to come out with me for a day. Yopur absolutely right Ortho it does make ones stomach turn, lets hope the powers that be will have a look at the plaque and devize a cure.
Crazy D

·
Registered
304 Posts
And DFO Officers…………. They know all those “gong show hot spots” on our rivers and where are they???????
Would be nice to see on this site report like: Today I witnessed DFO fined few guys for intentional snagging and confiscated all equipment.

That’s what I want to see more often. Not this : Ortho: This is a sick epidemic that is plaguing
all rivers in the Fraser Valley, and will prevent me from returning.

If they need money they should go in action, we can not help with some tests, or whatever (with all my respect to authors). That means they’ll get more money for doing nothing again. We have to find a way how to initiate them to do something about that.

Sorry about rant guys, just my :2cents: :pissed:

And of course, i totally agree Ortho :peace:

Cheers,

Barba

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Sad for sure!
Last wekk for laughs I went into one of these meatholes with short float and leader with some good bait and hooked just as many as the expert snaggers and more than alot of the guys up there. Proves my popint ........why snag when you get just as many when enticing the bite.In the three hour period there I hooked 2 big springs ,around 6 jacks(not sure here but there was quite a few) And one pink. Now those are just the fish I hooked into not mentioning all the bites that I missed. Too funny!

Hotrod

·
Registered
917 Posts
Thanks for the report Robert. Too bad there's so many questionable methods in use out there. I was out Friday and actually saw three DFO officers at the top end. Never asked me or anyone else for licenses. But nice to see some presence as I've never seen them before. Is it just me or is it getting worse out there in recent years? Got to wonder if the population boom out in the 'wack has anything to do with the madness...

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had a "sleep on this topic" and feel Consevation officers can do more with their resouces.. It is a big river and by the time they arrive at a spot that is well known the antics will only quit while they are present, and once they depart, the snagfest returns!...
When I parked on Chwk Lake Road and watched the systematic snagging going on at Tamahi I could,t help but think what a very good camera and a 400-1000mm lens might do from a few hundred yards away to id these perps. Then a loudhailer announcement could be made for everyone on the river to hear....something like "You five guys on the other side of the river have been observed, recorded on film, intentionally snagging salmon. Leave the area immediately or your equipment will be confiscated!"
I posted sometime ago about the auxillary officers being trained to assist with these duties, and I fail to see why this would not be of aid to the formally trained officers....They don't have to be at the front but rather work in the background assisting any way possible. I will, once again write to the Federal, Provincial, and local levels to see why this canot be considered.
When I see the numbers of people on the river and the amount of salmon snagged during my brief observation periods, it is out of control at the persent time!.
One thing is clear. The coho have returned in HUGE numbers this year, there is no shortage of chum, and there are plenty of jack springs and biggies as well which is the main reason there are so many people fishing out there.
Secondly, I saw only three cars/trucks with US plates on the entire river, so I wouldn't start blaming our American friends...I would be looking much closer to home..............Still frustrated but not so angry..............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Ortho I think you touched on a start of a good idea. If dfo were to employ such tatics as the loud speaker and making a solid appearance on there it would help curtain these practices. And yoour right after they left it would probably start again, but with suprise visits and larger presence on the river people would think twice. Raise the fine amounts while they are revamping the whole program. A $ 150.00 used to be a large amout back in the 70's but now adays it's little more than a tank of gas.
I do think the problem lies in the regulations regarding legally hooking and the intent to do so. The powers that be do need to rewrite the regs in accordace to allow the c/o's to be able to write the fines and be able to perform seizures on the river.
FFM I dont think the boom has much to do with it, the bulk of the people I have ran into this year are from west of us, the big problem was the whole fraser boom and with the chance to get monster springs, and ho's the madness just continues to grow. Wouldn't you want to hit the vedder when guys are getting twenty plus fish a day long leadering if you did'nt know better. Then he tells his pals and so on and so on. :wallbash: :wallbash:
Cheers, :beerchug:
CrazyD

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just as the internet can create some problems with the information highway, it can also get your point accross to the people you want to connect with....whether DFO,Mof E, you elected officials, etc....

Many times I have heard of groups wanting to help with problems on the river...Past solutions have included hatchery work, stream enhancement projects, habitat restoration, cleanups, etc.

I believe if a co ordinated effort were launched with all interested parties, some degree of reduction of the local snagfests could occur, but it would take an effort on all persond interested in protecting the river and it's fish stocks......maybe nobody cares about a few hundred snagged chum salmon, springs, and coho die from infection of their wounds before they get a chance to spawn? Also, the number of fish arriving at the hatchery with all sorts of hooks and lures in their backs, tails, fins is astonishing!
Maybe nobody wants to make change ?
maybe the bottom line is I have to close my eyes and hope this mess will disappear? These fishing methods are already spreading to the steelhead season, as witnessed in the Vedder canal the past two years, and I fear things are going to get a lot worse before they get better........Ortho 8)

I still have a year or two to work, and I will visit this topic again with anyone who cares to listen

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
To add to ortho's comments. I am sending an email to my MP (Dawn Black-NDP) with a message stating some of the problems with enforcement and regulation of the fishery. I have included the URL for this thread and will be sending heere other threadd from our site and other. Do the same, it doesn't take much of your time and will at least move in the right direction. I am one who does say there is too much bitching about the ethics on the river, but my issue is not the amount of bitching, as the amount of bitching without any effort to do anything about it. Everything said is true, but if we aren't willing to do everything we can to change it, it won't change. Get involved, write your MLA, MP, local media; join the sport and fly fishing associations (they are lobby groups with some influence); get involved in your local stream keeper society and by all means, talk to your friends, children and grandchildren-let them know what a wonderful gift we have here and what kind of effort it will take to keep it for the future.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Whats the matter with these guys anyways - do they not know how to actually catch a fish?? Snagging is NOT fishing! Last week when we were out on the vedder there was a couple of guys up from us snagging and when we were getting ready to leave - my husband said - "looks like a DFO guy there" So I got out of the vehicle and walked over to him and asked him if he was with DFO and he said yes - I told him there were a couple of guys up the river that were doing nothing but snagging and he said to me - well - (and he held out his arms) there is an aweful lot of that going on. And basically, to me, he gave me the impression - he did not give a Sh$t! ! :wallbash:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is probably more a concern for most fishers,than the snagging itself!....I know the fisheries has it's hands full this time of the year, but more visits to well known spots will help, as will more tickets, fines and confiscation of gear!...legislation to protect the fish is required,,larger fines and some co ordinated efforts with other groups interested in a common goal.
My biggest concern is this type of behavior on the river will be at ALL our rivers shortly.
The fisheries people have directives and a boss to report to. If the message is not sent to them from higher up, then they will continue to be complacent. Why go thru the confrontational hoops, to have someone ignore the ticket, buy new gear and be back on the river the same day?....The laws need revamping!.........Embarassing those who are chronic offenders would be a start, but I don't think this site or any other is going to be very happy with someone posting pictures of some familiar chronic offenders......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would suggest a grassroots effort by members of BCFR and other fishing sites. Kinda a like a "Shame the Johns" campaign, but "Shame the Snaggers".

The idea is to not only record and report the offences to DFO with pictures, but place the photos of the offenders in a public forum, like, oh, I don't know, BCFR! Guerrilla marketing, at its best!

I suggest 2 or more people heading out to these known holes with digital camera with decent zoom lens (as Ortho suggested) and a pre-printed pamphlet in hand. With the camera, we can take pictures of the offending person(s). Presumably, you'd need to spend some time observing them to ensure they are in fact intentionally snagging the fish, and more than once.

The pamphlet should be pre-printed and left on under the windshield wiper of ALL vehicles parked in the vicinity of the where the pictures are being taken. Off the top of my head, the pamphlet could include;

a) Stating that it is illegal to internationally snag fish. Give examples.
b) say, "if you were snagging at this spot, we've taken your picture and it will be forwarded to the appropriate authorities. It will also be posted on <insert fishing website here> for all to see"
c) also say, "if you were NOT snagging fish, but witnessed others doing so, SPEAK UP NEXT TIME. Politely inform the person that what they're doing is illegal and that they may be on candid camera and they could conceivably be part of the "Shame the Snaggers" campaign".

Anyhow, that's the gist of the idea. Looking forward to other's input and suggestions on how this might work.

With enough participation and perhaps press, the authorities will have to take notice and action.

Please feel free to post all or part of this on any other fishing site. Maybe, like some videos, the concept will go viral.

LL

·
Registered
304 Posts
Lund-lubber,

When I get to the Vedder river all the way from West End I have no time to run around with digital camera in one hand and pamflets in the other trying to catch all those snaggers, what about my fishing? I didn’t pay for license to chase snaggers and to watch DFO Officers walking around being ignorant and doing nothing, at same time, as Fishfvr stated. :naughty:

Again, in my opinion, we have to find a way how to make them more active and effective... :confused:

fishnfvr said:
Whats the matter with these guys anyways - do they not know how to actually catch a fish?? Snagging is NOT fishing! Last week when we were out on the vedder there was a couple of guys up from us snagging and when we were getting ready to leave - my husband said - "looks like a DFO guy there" So I got out of the vehicle and walked over to him and asked him if he was with DFO and he said yes - I told him there were a couple of guys up the river that were doing nothing but snagging and he said to me - well - (and he held out his arms) there is an aweful lot of that going on. And basically, to me, he gave me the impression - he did not give a Sh$t! ! :wallbash:

Cheers LL, :beerchug:

Barba

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think anyone else cares to get "personally involved" with photos & pamphlets, however, a good point has been made....Where are the signs at the sports stores, and on the river banks telling people what is wrong with snagging salmon?....Someone took the time to post a lot of no parking/no camping signs along the Chilliwack River because of all the abuses and garbage.......so, why can't WE do something with the snagging issue?.....Ortho 8)

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Good point! Maybe because the issue is not that clear or cut and dry..... :'(
To simplify the prosess would be nice for hot topics like this but I;m sure it would put a few
gov't workers out ..... :beerchug: Marko

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
The problem with "rapp" is what are you supposed to do without getting personally involved? When
you stick your neck out there you're taking a chance in a place that may be the most hospitable
at times.There is no way of IDing anyone or being able to prove the act without evidence. So untill
there are more officers in the field the problem changing for the better is highly unlikely.... :(

.... :beerchug: Marko

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
The point of my earlier post has already been made here. at least half of the posts on this thread are of the "I hate what is going on. Some one should do something. When DFO puts in more enforcement the problem will change. Don't ask me to get involved." nature. If you don't want to help fix it, why bother to complain. This forum is composed largely of the ethical anglers. Complaining here won't reach the others who are the problem, especially as they can't even access this thread without being a member with 10 or more posts.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
The cement slab was the worst i've seen it in years! From the other side of the river i wish i had a camera it was like freak'in sockeye season but on the vedder! I have a feeling things will start to wind down on the vedder and people will move to the chahalis just like last year befor the major flood! Speaking of wich does anyone have a pic ot the tamahi bridge lastyear when the water was as high as the bridge? I'd love to have one to frame for me to show people? It was a sight to see thats for sure! Thanks!

CK

·
Registered
47 Posts
When DFO puts in more enforcement the problem will change
I won't be holding my breathe for that to happen. I could see rivers being closed instead because of lack of manpower. Don't the provincial fisheries patrol these non tidal rivers either? I know they have so few staff. When I lived in Fort St. John they only had two conservation officers between the Yukon border and Chetwynd.

Short of taking the law into our own hands, there is nothing we can do but complain on forums, to newspapers, media etc. Politicians really don't care until the media makes a stink and there is no big media stink on this issue yet and until there is politicians just pay lip service.

I quit fishing lower-mainland rivers due to all the morons out there, so many have no respect for other anglers, don't watch what they do, bully you, try to intimidate etc I am on disability and can not deal with these morons, so I just stick to the lakes and fish Sardis Pond, Como Lake, Lafarge, Nicolmekl etc until my frequent trips to Kamloops during the summer.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The ONLY way to improve this situation is to make these salmon bearing rivers and streams in the Lower Mainland either classified or catch and release only. Not for the 'holier than thou' reasons, or because I'm that against killing fish. I'm also not dumb enough to suggest that people wouldn't still be mistreating fish that would lead to higher mortality rates. But you can't tell me that it wouldn't weed out the large majority of people who are only interested in bringing a fish back to the bbq, and are ashamed if they can't do so. Time to look at the bigger picture here.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.