BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a fine day (Saturday, 07-31-10), and I was fishing with my buddies at Fraser River - Hope :thumbup:

My excitement that day turned into fear and worries when one of the guy accidentally drop his sunglasses in the water, try to retrieve it, and almost cost his life when the strong current drags him away from the shallow area. Lucky him that one of the guy there was able pull him out of the water.

Just a thought, a friend of mine told me that waders will help you keep floating in the water but still doubt it. ??? Wearing life vest will keep all rec fisherman safer.
Another suggestion is to buy some sort of band for sunglasses that will keep it hanging just in case we drop it.

Sport fishing should always be fun, and that incident could have been avoided. . . let's always think of our safety first before we make our move.

And that's only my opinion :peace:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wearing wader's will most likely cause complications in regards to swimming.

I have heard of too many people thinking they we're invisible by wearing waders, only to drown by the balloon they create when submerged.

My problem is, too many people fish in ridiculous places and endanger themselves. Why isn't there a CORE for fishing???

·
Registered
35 Posts
realy? is the water inside the waders heavyer then the water outside them???? i have fallen a few times into lakes and rivers with my waders on and they help me float...

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
realy? is the water inside the waders heavyer then the water outside them???? i have fallen a few times into lakes and rivers with my waders on and they help me float...​
No, but it's a lot harder to move when your waders are full of water. You'd expend a lot more energy trying to get out with the use of just your arms.
Now, when they're full of air you may float but you still have to use a lot of energy to keep your head up as you can't use your legs because they're floating.
None of this matters in a quick dip and get wet situation (but why take the chance?) where you'd be able to get out because it was'nt deep or you hit the tail out but as soon as you have to battle current, snags in a deep piece of water and such, it becomes a bit of a problem; especially when the water's cold.
On the bright side you'd be easier to find with air in your waders instead of water ( myself, I can't breath through my feet).

I was more immortal when I was younger.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you do take a spill in the river and you are wearing waders, you should have on a wading belt . That will keep a lot of the water out of your waders. However, if you do take a tumble in the river what I have been told to do, and I have had the misfortune to try it out, is to flip over to your back, and then kick your feet upwards. You will see your boottips in front of you, and then do variation of the backstroke to shallow water. When safe to do so, stand up and walk towards shore. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, carry a knife with you, kick off your boots and cut off the straps of the waders. Shed them and swim to shore. Will have to buy some new waders, but that is cheap compared to your life.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
@dcajaxs : PM sent.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My personal recommendation is to get an automatic inflatable collar. They can be worn over anything and are not bulky or hot. Furthermore, when inflated they offer better head support than non-inflatables. I prefer the automatic inflation option, which activates after the vest has been underwater for a few seconds. I think this is important for an inflatable, since you may not be able to locate the activation tab if you are tumbling around underwater, or if you hit your head on something. The latest mustang vests have a new automatic inflation mechanism that will only activate if the vest is more than 4" underwater (thus less susceptible to rain, etc).

I did a quick google and it looks like PoCo Marine (in Port Coquitlam) has a really good price right now ($239) for the Mustang MD3153. This is a good model and the cheapest I've seen it anywhere.

Here's a link:

http://www.pocomarine.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=72&osCsid=8cea55db1dbe201de411a16c2beae572

You can get the vests without manual inflation for around $140, but for the extra hundred, I'd highly recommend the auto-inflator for the reasons I mentioned.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
As I'm out and about getting some stuff for my Island adventure next week, listening to CKNW...... there's apparently a fisher who went in and was unable to be scooped out of the Veddar (waders were full) Hope he makes it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Unfortunately, the poor fellow who fell into the Vedder drowned. Will have to wait to hear the whole story, but it sounds like he was only wearing hip waders. Let's face it money's tight right now for some households, so maybe you can't afford an inflatable pfd right now. But surely you can afford to get a cheap knife and attach it to your wading belt for instance. You get in trouble on the river, stay cool and calm, and remember you do have a bit of time to figure out what to do. If one of the options is to cut your waders off before they drag you down - do it while you still have that option.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Gonna play the devils advocate on this one....

Don't wear wader's. Chilliwack was 30+ degrees today with humidity. I've past my waist numerous times on the Vedder this year, and if sh*t hit's the fan, I go for a swim........

·
Registered
167 Posts
bbarley, how are your words of wisdom going to apply a month from now when Fall comes around. I don't know if you realize it but your remarks come across as being rather callous and flippant. I for one, hope that this dead man's immediate family or his friends don't see your comments on river safety. My condolences to his family.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I feel terrible for the family, as well as the person who lost his life. Also my condolences to the family as well as all his friends.

In regards to my comments. I stand by them.

As I stated on my post on the FWR forum, why carry around a balloon if you don't have to. My post serves not to rationalize this terrible incident, but to offer advice to those who will fish this summer.

In regards to the fall season, I fully understand the need to use waders. Lower daytime temperatures and lower water temperatures.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nice to be able to wet wade and leave the waders at home in August...

And if you are under fifty, or so?...

Manual inflateables are less than half the price.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
What does age have to do with the type of PFD you choose? The automatic Mustang is the way to go regardless. You can't be saved if you're unconscious (and there are many other reasons for being unconscius other than old age) wearing a deflated vest.

Also, neoprene waders might be safer than breathables with a belt if you're in fishing gnarly water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts