BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I bought a Sage 3106L (GREEN BLANK) its rating is 8-17 pound, Now i have hooked a few springs and Chums on this rod since i bought it, and when i get a decent fish on it the rod bend right over and i mean right through the cork to real seat :eek:

Here is my question I have spoken to Leaping Tyee since he is all about Sage but i wanna see what other people think what this rod is capable of handling fish wise... IMO i think this rod will handle coho and Steelhead... as for springs and chums i find it a bit light even in slow water, big fish in fast water there is no way of turning a fish around just not enough power..

Im starting to second guess that i should have gone with the 3113M

any opinion please post

Thanks.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Your second guess is right Freak, I had one and sold it soon after. Try finding a Fenwick Blackhawk 1264 (126" - 4 power) I'm still using one I had built in 1980 and a couple of rebuilds since then, still have one blank but sorry its not for sale.

·
Registered
901 Posts
i just bought a brown one off of flyrod, ive hooked several good sized fish on it and had a little trouble with them, imo the rod is great for steelhead and coho but just a tad too light for big springs... anything around that 20lb mark and down is good for that rod, for those bigger whites on the vedder, ill use my 3113m...

·
Registered
695 Posts
i think the 3106LB is a great all around rod for all species...Ho's and steelies :thumbup: but i find it's limitation's around the 15lbs mark when it comes to fish size, i know what you mean by the way the rod bends when you hook some of those larger fish almost felt like she's ready break feeling but i tell ya I've managed to land a 16lbs this year and it took some work ;D
Don't get me wrong the 3113m is another great rod as well but i find the only time that's used is when large spring and chums are in I've also landed some smaller fish 10lbs under on the 3113m and it feels good but i perfer the lighter action rods myself.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm sure it's a greet rod. I'm having one custom built and will be mainly targeting Stamp steel with it and summer run coho's on the cap. It is far too light for springs and chum in my opinion. A 3113 mb will be a good middle of the road rod from sage or the 2106. It may slight;ly on the light for the big ones but will still do the job nicely! Sage rods are the go to gear for me. I have put them threw the ringer and they have always performed far beyond my expectations!

Hotrod

·
Registered
901 Posts
landed several chum and springs on it tonight, perfomed well, a tad under powered for the 25lb spring i landed but it still turned it. its on the rack now though until creek fishing time and now its back to my 3113 :cheers:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The 3113 is a beauty for keeping your line off the water for those long casts. That extra 9" is huge when it come to that. No need to raise your arms in the air to keep line dry! I love it. Of course being 6'3" helps too! 8)

Hotrod

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Fished with one on sunday, and like said before it was light for springs. I love the rod though, perfect steelhead rod. And hotrod i need to get me one of those 3113's my 10ft trophy is a sick rod and actually like the action and power alot, but me being 5'7 doesn't help with line control, long casts, short drifts.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Freak...I get a little worried sometimes about my 3113Lb brown...but for however long it's been now that I've had it, somewhere close to 20 years now I think, it's always held together well enough. Turned a lot of fish...would hate to break it though...I like the old blanks...

On one hand you have the warranty so no worries if you break it...on the other hand if you fish a lot of springs, maybe pick up a second rod anyways...don't go with the 2106, I think hotrod mentioned that one...it's lighter than the 3106 so don't waste your time, but LT would have told you that if you didn't know it already.

I saw that rod you were using...nice rod...why not buy a second...? ;)

You could get away with that rod...with bigger fish try flipping your rod parallel to the water rather than perpendicular...the line drag in the water allows you to put much more torque on the fish...try it...

·
Registered
901 Posts
i built a 3113lb this year and found it to be great for everything... brian ford warned me against using it on springs but it holds up well... though i was worried when i was fighting a 40lb monster that i somehow managed to land. the 3113M green one i have sits on the rack collecting dust now... it may never see the light of day again :cheers:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
kingpin said:
i built a 3113lb this year and found it to be great for everything... brian ford warned me against using it on springs but it holds up well... though i was worried when i was fighting a 40lb monster that i somehow managed to land...
I agree KP, handles everything, but I still worry to this day when that monster is on...

kingpin said:
... the 3113M green one i have sits on the rack collecting dust now... it may never see the light of day again :cheers:
Sell it to fishfreak... ;)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ribwart said:
kingpin said:
i built a 3113lb this year and found it to be great for everything... brian ford warned me against using it on springs but it holds up well... though i was worried when i was fighting a 40lb monster that i somehow managed to land...
I agree KP, handles everything, but I still worry to this day when that monster is on...

kingpin said:
... the 3113M green one i have sits on the rack collecting dust now... it may never see the light of day again :cheers:
Sell it to fishfreak... ;)
i got a 3113MB the other day

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a 3113MB and it was a good all around rod kind of like the 3106 for a castng rod. It is probably a little light if you want to target big springs all day. A 4120 is a good Big fish rod. I think if your going to have just one pin rod the 3113mb is it. Ideally 3 pin rods would be nice depending on what yopu were fishing for. lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have one of the old 3106LB graphite ones and love the bend when you hook into a fish. I have ocassionally hooked into springs with the biggest being 30lbish and it was a good thing it was in calm water as I still felt like it was difficult to steer. Overall I find it good overall but light on springs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.