BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:
I am looking into purchasing a few new fly rods now that our dollar is at par with the US.
Last week I broke my 890 XP. :'( I built that rod in 2000 and since then it's become obsolete. I need one asap!!
My question is, what in the new line of Sage rods is comparable if not better? 8 wt 9' - 10'
Also, I need a new Spey rod. I have a 9140 from 2001 (also obsolete). Mostly, I fish this rod on the Vedder but also use it on the Thompson and northern flows for Steelhead. Maybe I need 2. Any recommondations?

Thanks, Finseeker.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
ya good question i thought SAGE had lifetime warranties. i wouls sure hope they werent pulling my leg with the few sage things i have bought.great quality with lifetime warranty how can you pass that up LOL ;D

why do you say your rods are obselete? i have a LOOP Blue 9140 from their coloured series rod is barely old at all and the colour series has been discountinued already. does this mean mine is obselete also? I dont plan to get rid of it for something newer as it is new to me and exactly what i wanted so no need to replace ;D

HOOK

·
Registered
694 Posts
The xp's were dis-continued, like the SLT's are now, the warranty is still good, however like most companies, when you get a custom built rod, or just a blank. The warranty is on the blank only, not the build or components.

Hook, the blue is D/C but the warranty is still good if you filled out a warranty card.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 890 XP is going to be replaced. It's $60 now where as a few years ago it was just replaced free of charge. The XP was a good blank as was the RPL-X. The 9140 is still made but is a different model now compared to mine.
It looks like the Z-Axis is what I gotta go throw then. I shook the Xi last week and thought it felt more like the XP.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The worst part about this break is it was the butt section and salmon season is just starting :wallbash: :'(
I set on a Pink and it broke in the cork handle and 5 inches below the ferrule. I've broken a few Sage's but never in the butt section. I loved that rod :'( It's caught many a fish!! First Steelhead on a fly, Chinook, Coho, Chum, Trout and broke it on a Pink! :'(

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
finseeker said:
Also, I need a new Spey rod. I have a 9140 from 2001 (also obsolete). Mostly, I fish this rod on the Vedder but also use it on the Thompson and northern flows for Steelhead. Maybe I need 2. Any recommondations?

Thanks, Finseeker.
I have a Sage 9144 VT2, and I'm loving it. It's a cannon but I find it to be very forgiving when the fundimentals of the perfect cast don't quite go as planned. ;D

Finder :)

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
hey FF

we should hit the river soon and get some of those brute whites on the spey rods. i can pick up a few things about casting it easier from you also LOL i forget some of the things from the casting lesson as it was like May and i didnt pick it up until August to use it. stupud me

HOOK

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I started spey casting there were only 2 series. The traditional or the euro. Now it's kinda overwhelming how many rods are out there and lines to boot. I've done some research on other rod manufacturers but something keeps me coming back to Sage.
Keep the posts coming tho!!! :thumbup:
I've got a month to decide on what the new rod is gonna be :confused:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just walked the dog to the local tackle shop and looked a few different Sages.  I'm now leaning towards the Z-Axis for both a spey and a sgl hand.  Anyone have any input about a 890, 8100, 7136 and the 9143?? I also ordered an 8/9 Reo Skagit line to replace my cracked Mastery short head spey. Should a flyline crack in under 2 years??

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
No it shouldn't. A line should last 4-5 years if it's well taken care of. I just replaced a Versa tip system I had for about a year. It cracked through out the entire line. :p First time this has happened to me. Even though lines have a one year warrenty, the shop where you baught it should replace it for you.

Finder ;)

·
Banned
77 Posts
Hey finseeker, I just purchased a Z axis a month ago and loving it. If you were planning on getting the 8 wt 890 I think you should just up the size a bit and go for the 896 for the little extra control. If you live around coquitlam they have a good selection of sage rods at Searuns tackle.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I got to chuck Berglers 896 Z-axis last I'm pretty sure it was the RIO versa-tip he had spooled up on it. Although I was a couple of feet short myself, he was thowing backing with that combo :thumbup:

·
Registered
247 Posts
hey finder when did u buy the rio setup?? mine is about 2-3 yrs old and my type 3 has seen the most water and it too is cracking but only down near the end where the leader attached. i just cut off about 6-8 inches to get it off and i'll see how it goes now. maybe we just got some bad stock??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.