·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Victoria Times Colonist
Sea lice killing B.C. salmon
D.C. Reid
Thursday, September 18, 2008

So you thought fish farm sea lice problems were restricted to pink salmon in the Broughton Archipelago? Not so. In fact, the problem is vastly worse than we have been told. New studies from the U.S.A., Canada and Norway indicate lice and the diseases they carry are killing all five salmon species in B.C. and also herring.

You may recall Alexandra Morton was the biologist who set off alarm bells that fish farm sea lice resulted in a healthy 150,000 annual pink run from the Broughton Archipelago being reduced to virtually nothing. She is now in court trying to get the memorandum of understanding that DFO signed with the province to carry the can declared as invalid, and thus that DFO will have to step in -- if they lose -- and we have to wait many years for them to clean up the industry.

Morton's new research has begun to reveal that the lice and disease problem is huge in B.C. Her research indicates that sockeye smolts migrating up Johnstone Strait from the Fraser River have been infected with lethal numbers of infected lice as they swim through the Campbell River area. Little wonder this year's run of Fraser sockeye was one of the poorest on record -- and the problem will continue unless we do something.

Juvenile herring, the fish that salmon feed on primarily, are also infected and infested in the Campbell River area, as are chum salmon fry.

Morton has now found lethal levels of fish farm sea lice in chinook smolts from the Megin River that flows into Clayoquot Sound, meaning all the United Nations World Heritage 650,000-acre Site salt-waters are a gauntlet of sea-lice death for all species of salmon migrating through the narrow fjords near Tofino.

Morton and others have discovered viral outbreaks from now antibiotic resistant infected lice from the Johnstone Strait all the way up to Bella Bella on the mid-coast. This is also wiping out herring stocks to the point where DFO no longer assesses their spawn in Kingcome Inlet. And you will remember that DFO is the only stakeholder that thinks harvesting herring for roe is a good thing, and now has authorized a whack at the larger pilchards, for the first time in almost 50 years.

In addition, fish farms attract fry with a sheen of fish chow and lights at night. Young coho eat the weakened salmon fry and become infected themselves.

From 2001 to 2003, 12,000,000 farmed Atlantic salmon died in B.C. from the infectious haematopoietic necrosis epidemic. The first problem was more than 15 years ago in B.C. Even Canada's highly regarded -- and DFO's own scientist -- Dick Beamish, has published research showing that when Atlantic salmon are removed wild salmon smolts thrive.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Now heres a subject that realy pisses me off . These "fish farms" are a joke, that just isn't funny !Lets take a look at Norway.Every year over a half a million fish escape into Norways waters from these "Farms".One out of every 4 Salmon or Trout caught in Norway is an escapee.Norway produces over 600.000 tons of farmed salmon and trout every year.At the same time Norwegian waters hold around half of the worlds global stock of wild Atlantic salmon.Reports show that the up-river migration of escaped farmed salmon late in the spawning season, physically displaces the eggs of the wild salmon that have already spawned.And the high numbers of escaped salmon has led to an increase in interbreedin between farmed and wild stocks, diluting the gene pool of wild stocks.In Hordaland, (the Norwegian county with the most fish farms),is the Hardanger Fjord.In the outer areas of the Hardanger Fjord 86% of the wild salmon stocks are of farmed origin ! Now Norway is "farming" Atlantic Cod ? I guess if your gonna wipe out your wild stocks, you might as well get em all to keep it fair eh ! I remember in the late 80s when I was working in Rivers Inlet and Hakai Pass .I used to fly over these "Farms" And I hated them then ! Today almost 20 years later, I hear that these farms are raising Chinook and Coho in our waters ! I'm choked ! Combine these fish farms with poor logging practices and good ol Gordos plan to damn every river,creek and stream in B.C. Our wild salmon are pretty much screwed! But as long as the government is getting the $,they will continue to turn a blind eye to logic and enviromental studies ! I have not read one single report from anywhere that is on a positive note about fish farms.Every country that does this, has created a number of issues with there wild stocks of one kind or another.We used to learn from other peoples mistakes.Nowadays the office bound schmucks just look the other way. Extinction is FOREVER !! :wallbash:

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
FEBRUARY 1 2009 CONTACT YOUR MLA!!!

THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO BE HEARD!!!! COME TOGETHER RAISE THE ISSUES!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have contacted DFO and the BC Libs for over a year on this issue(over 25 letters) and not one response yet!
It's quite clear that we have to get out of our 'comfort zone' and do something more active. Any one want to camp out in front of Gordo's office. After all, he is behind every attack on our wild salmon so we have plenty of reasons to be there. I'm serious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.