BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be up around alert bay in 2 weeks and need to know what sort of rigs to use if I want to go for some sockeye. I don't have downriggers and was wondering what the best way to go about it would be. Should I be trying for springs as well? And has anyone ever tried flyfishing the chuck for sockeye? If so what kind of flys do they take. Thanks for any information..

· Registered
13 Posts
I could be wrong about this but I think the Sockeye are already all in the rivers up here. If they are not use a hoochie! They are hard to catch. The Springs are here in full force though as are the Pinks, use herring if you can, not anchovies or you won't keep the Pinks off of your line. Cohos are also on their way in as well.

· Registered
8 Posts
We never target sockey however the luck we have had was just finding a spot where the tide wsa really running and seeing the sockeye on the surface trolling down 45ft on the drigger with a small pink hootchie.
If you want to fish springs w/o a downrigger I would recommend a deep six, we landed a forty two and 33 pound salmon on those a couple years ago and lost one we figure was 50+ to an old piece of junk on the bottom. However, due to the fact it streams so far back I would not recommend using this where several other boats fish, such as donegal. Find some less busy spot and try there.

Vadium, we have caught sockeye well into the last week of august so they are around, however I am not sure if they will be open.

· Registered
2 Posts
Quadra and N/E

Just trolled for 2 days at the south end of channels that empty around Cortez and Hill islands.
Not a strike and maybe 4 boats fishing. The cause, in these two days I did not see one herring boil and about just four small schools of needle fish. An old timer up there stated they used to monitor the size of the herring schools by flying over. If you were a salmon would you starve in campbell river area. Noticed former boat rental shop still open but only renting bikes.

· Registered
116 Posts
Socks and Springs

I would try for both if it is open. I think it is worth the run to the Points on the North side for the early morning bite for Springs, right at first light. Dont sleep in. One problem may be fog. Some large Socks were also hooked about a week ago. Was just in the area July 16 to 22. Did not see a seal all week. Maybe one, but not for sure. Lots of whales though. I heard last week there were 70 Killer Whales in Johnston St around the Bight July 22.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.