BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Nice read again Rib. It is intresting to see there is are very different perspectives in the post. I like many others has seen the dredging the bottom to snag a fish every second cast on spots in some of the tribs,and it does literally sickens me. I feel education is the key in part to solving the dilema in the flows you touched on. I have been stewing on a topic since Dec., it is I'm hoping going to be a topic that will get some flack and some intresting views. Look for it next time we have a rain front come through (down time for me) It"ll touch on ediqette :confused: on the flows. After all we have one of the richest, and shall we say one of the most diverse fishing oppertunities in the world. We should be doing what we can to preserve it and enhance it for the next generations.
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Rib, have you ever considered being a writer? You always seem to get the point across, in a non-judemental sort of way. Another nice piece of writing here rib, good on you. I dont know if i speak for all, or anyone else for that matter, but i think we should set up another fish out for late spring/early summer, a chance for the more experienced salmon fisherman to show their skill and pass it on to the less knowledgable fisherman. I do know quite a bit about fishing, and how to be successful, but the Fraser is a place I have never fished before, and would love to learn how, and there is always room for more knowledge. This would also be a chance to demonstrate fair fishing practices as described in reb's segment. If anyone else agrees with me then say so and we can all try and set something up.
Thanks again rib,
:peace:

·
Registered
419 Posts
sounds good to me, just started seriously fishing the fraser last year :thumbup:

·
Registered
730 Posts
You have way too much spare time on your hands :thumbup: I happen to know a local Author who has had her book published

·
Registered
694 Posts
Awsome read Ribwart

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Thanks, for putting a lot of my thoughts into words....I could never figure out how flossing became part of "sportsfishing".... I am very happy the vedder has remained dirty for the last few weeks and has virtually disallowed to ugly floss fishery it suffered last year late in the season. There have been a few suggestions by the interest groups to change the gear and impose restrictions on what is acceptable on the Fraser this upcoming season.
That second to last picture in the article says it all....Illegal and disgusting!......So many ways to catch fish locally, and legally.
If there is a full scale ban on long leaders, B B etc. What will all the sports shops do with all those lead balls?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With recent edicts by DFO and voices from many anglers, to practice "selective fishing techniques", I thought it might be a good idea to make this one a sticky for a while.

Hope nobody objects.

rib

·
Registered
1 Posts
That was a great read, I just want to thank everyone on this board for showing me the light. I was introduced to river fishing about ten years ago by a friend who I now know is a "flosser" as are many of my friends. It never made sense to me how this is sportfishing even though as Rib said the fish aren't enticed into biting, I have gained so much knowledge reading posts like this one and others. I catch less fish now...but I also lose less gear. Thanks again for a great site and intelligent and well written posts. See yah on the river!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am one of the people who just started Sockeye fishing on the Fraser last year. I was taught how to bottom bounce for sockeye, and hope for a Spring on the longer casts. Is htis what you mean by Flossing? Am I one of the disgusting people you were talking about? Is bottom bouncing and flossing the same thing? I do not want to be one of the people who do things that make sprot fishers angry. I want to be p[art of the responsible sport fishers. Where can I get more information on teh recommended methods? The people who taught me last year are the people I am going fishing with this year. They will bottom bounce again this year, and will probably not teach me any other method. I fogure if I can learn another method and catch sopme good fish with it, I maybe able to get them to fish with the other method and get some of the flossing stopped. To do ths though, I woulkd have to learn these other methods. Any siggestions?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to the forum Bob...

First of all, I hope that in reading that article you didn't get the impression I thought the people who floss for sockeye on the Fraser are "disgusting"...

In no way whatsoever was I trying to imply that I felt that way. It is the method of "flossing" that gets carried over from the sockeye fishery to other species of fish and to other river systems that I believe is an irresponsible, unsporting and unnecessary method to use in our other river fisheries...

I sincerely believe that the only way to catch sockeye in our rivers is by this method. In light of conservation concerns and a closure to all sockeye fishing on the Fraser, the flossing needn't be applied this time of year.

There is also a big difference between flossing and bottom bouncing. Flossing utilizes an extremely long leader. I think these days 15-20 feet is common. When I fished the sockeye fishery many, many years ago, 6-8 feet was the norm. Either way it was still flossing. Bottom bouncing would typically be a short leader, at around 2 feet maximum, using bait, spin n glows, and any number of other terminal items. It is a technique that is employed quite commonly in the rivers south of the border and is very effective. Flossing takes bottom bouncing and extends the leader to the previously mentioned ridiculous lengths, and adds a peice of wool to the end, it also adjusts the technique somewhat.

I am off to do some fishing right now, so for now I'll leave you with this so that you might understand part of what I meant on how this flossing method is irresponsible and unnecessary on our rivers. Check out the "Short floating" link I placed in that article. You will see it is highlighted in Blue within the body of the piece. Click on that link and it should get you thinking about this concern of mine and highlight some of the reasons why flossing is so irresponsible and dangerous to the sport.

Thx for reading,

rib

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well what are we at here...first day of summer...? Fraser's dropping, fishing's picking up out there...

With all the new members signing up I figured this thread could use a....

BUMP.

:cheers:

·
Registered
587 Posts
good job rib...thanks for putting this up!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts