BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was along the Alouette River the other day and took notice to thousands of fry along the shoreline. I'm thinking these would be steelhead fry, am I right?

Also, does anybody know the average percentage of fry that make it back to spawn? There were literally thousands of these little guys in a small section (10 ft.) of beach water.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
If you are sure they were salmonids they were probably a combination of coho and steelhead fry. Chum and pink fry will be gone to the chuck by now.

As for survival rates, if a doe coho lays 2500 eggs, generally 2 adults will return from them to spawn in their home waters.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Actually those odds are the exactly what nature requires in order to maintain any population at a steady level. If every adult pair produces 2 offspring that reach reproductive age, the population will remain static. If every adult pair were to produce 3 offspring that reached breeding age a population would increase by 50% in just one generation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.