BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe a stupid question ::) but I was asked by a young lad the other day if he needed to buy a salmon stamp for his license even though he never had any intention of keeping any salmon he catches? Too be honest I've always just got all the tags requied for whatever I'm fishing for but it did raise the question that I'm not too sure about, any thoughts?

Cheers

·
Registered
784 Posts
You can fish for salmon without a salmon tag. If you intend on keeping any salmon caught you would need to buy the tag. I believe a steelhead tag is needed even if you don't plan on keeping the fish.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i am wrong - got this from the dfo site

Your Non-tidal Angling Licence must be validated with a provincial salmon conservation stamp to keep a salmon of any legal size or species (other than kokanee) from non-tidal waters. A stamp is not required if you intend to release all salmon caught, however a provincial Non-tidal Angling Licence is still required.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Unless the "young lad" is under 16.
Then he needs nothing, no freshwater license or salmon tag but, he does get his own quota.
Checked into this for my 14 year old son.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually,I think if he's under 16,he is still required to have a licence,he just won't have to pay for it.I ran into this on the Squamish a few years ago with my young nephew(under 16).A CO friend of mine informed me that at that time it was not law,but that it soon would be.Might be worth a look to verify if that is indeed the case.

ST

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If you are under 16 you only need a licence if you are fishing tidal. The licence is free but you have to purchase a stamp. If you are under the age of 16 and fishing nontidal you do not need a licence or a tag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.