BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am goin to try beach fishin for coho and pinks this year as well and am planning on using pink eve's, silver thorns, clouser minnows and rolled mudlers in blue or black, maybe a coho blue as well. (I have caught coho on muddlers in rivers so I am trying them in the salt).

·
Registered
6 Posts
vanislealoha has the colors and flies rite. Small 3/4" to 1 1/2"
Pink works good when the tide swings your fly like in a river.
other wise I would use the other suggested flies. They can be spooky so clear line works well.
One major key is to fish where you see them jumping and change your fly color if your not getting any takers. Work the beach like you are steelhead fishing. Start fishing at the waters edge then fish further out then fish your way down or up the beach. Just don't stand in the same spot unless you know the spot will produce for sure. Fish the push and high are the best I've found.
But recently we have been casting from a boat mostly or bucktailing when running down riggers for springs. We use much larger flies for this

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
45 Posts
I love beach fishing, but i'm pretty new to it. I have had success on small blue and white bucktails, clousers and silver thorns before for coho and mostly pink flies for pinks, but i don't have enough experience to say that these are definitely the best ones to use.

I've tied the flies in this picture in preparation for this year on Van Island. Any comments re the type of flies, colour, etc that may make them better would be appreciated.

Cheers

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
578 Posts
Albafly said:
I love beach fishing, but i'm pretty new to it. I have had success on small blue and white bucktails, clousers and silver thorns before for coho and mostly pink flies for pinks, but i don't have enough experience to say that these are definitely the best ones to use.

I've tied the flies in this picture in preparation for this year on Van Island. Any comments re the type of flies, colour, etc that may make them better would be appreciated.

Cheers
SWWEEEEEET kelp bed Killers..................NICE....Flies

·
Registered
233 Posts
Albafly said:

Cheers
Albafly. Nice Flies. I would like to tie some of those and have a few questions.

Can you tell me the dressings for the first two little green ones on the left (with the hackle) I had some of these last year but lost them. what are they called?

Also I would like to try to tie the long blue and olive ones in the middle. Can you give me the recipe! What are these called. Some of them have a body to them - are these these nickel plated hooks that form the body or are they wrapped with an oval tinsel or some other material? What are the eyes made from (they dont look like dumbell weights like on the closer minow or bead chain eyes). Are they formed from epoxy with an eye painted on? How about the red beards? Lots of questions!!!

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
45 Posts
The green fly with hackle is a California neil or a coho bugger. I think Frank Dalziel had a part in the bugger name, never heard the California name origin.

I'll say again, i'm no expert, but this is what i used to tie these flies- if anyone knows any better ways i'm all ears. Here is the recipe:

Coho bugger
Hook - you could probably go anywhere from a 6 to a 10 or 12. I used a longer shank for the bead head fly. Both hooks are saltwater hooks.
Thread - I used chartreuse waxed 6/0
Tail - chartreuse bucktail with chartreuse krystal flash over top. You could use polar bear as well. When i buy bucktail, i always take it out the pack and get one with the straighest hairs- i avoid buying the wavy ones.
Body - diamond braid dyed chartreuse wrapped around the shank
Hackle - grizzly
Rib- fine red, green, silver or gold wire, counter wind hackle
I put a tungsten bead on one of them for a little depth.

I don't have a name for the blue and olive ones. Baitfish immitation.

The body you asked about is silver diamond braid wrapped around the shank. I tied in a linear piece of lead on some of them. I find wrapping a lot of the shank makes it go too deep for the beach and wrapping only part of the shank causes a bulge, so i measure off a piece of say 0.20 lead and bind it down along the shank. Here is the recipe:

Hook - tiemco 9294 (i think). Its about 3xl long, smaller ones are size 8, larger ones are 4.
Thread - 6/0 white.
Body - white thread on some, silver diamond braid on others
throat - red hackle barbs bunched together. You could use red calf's tail.
wing - most have white bucktail, then blue or olive over top. One has some peacock hearl on top of that. As I said before, i always take bucktail out the pack and get one with the straighest hairs. They don't flare as much when tied in. I have never used polar bear, to be honest i'm a little uneasy using an endangered species for a fly. Seems like selective conservation to C & R fish on a barbless fly tied with an endangered animal. Not taking the moral high-ground, don't mind if others make their own decision, i just never have used it.
head- i build up a head with thread to match the body diameter and whip finish. Then i start 6/0 red to add gills and whip finish it.
eyes - pre-made stick on eyes. I press them on and hold it tight for a while to get them to curve to the shape of the head.
You can finish with an epoxy head. I used two coats of super glue on these.

I think thats about it! Good luck with that!

Cheers,

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Johnny,

Do you mean the fly with the silver body, peacock wing and tail and red throat? Its a variation on the silver thorn. When i first saw this fly, it reminded me of the Alexandra, an old trout fly i love. The alexandra has got a silver body, peacock sword tail and wing and red goose or duck for a lateral line. It looks kind of old fashoned, which i think acts as a deterrent to most anglers, but when its wet the sword lies over the back and looks a lot like a little fish- dark back, silver belly and red lateral line. The black head looks like eyes as well. The sword shimmers in the light really well.

The one in the picture is tied with peacock sword, instead of herl. I'm not sure if you have herl or sword? They are similar, but I prefer sword. I think you could use herl as well. I caught two beach coho and one river coho with this pattern last year, as well as beach by-catch like flounder etc. I am sure it would work as an imitation for most baitfish.

Tail- peacock sword
Body - silver chenille
Wing - peacock sword
Throat - I think i ued red wool, but most red things like calf tail, bunched hackle fibers would work.

its really easy to tie.

I’ve heard, but never tried that if you leave peacock in the sun it darkens, turning bronzed. I have dyed peacock with blonde hair dye which gave a nice light hearl. Somewhat similar to tan-dyed ostrich herl but with a little more shine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Albafly,

Thanks for the info. It's tying time for the beaches so I'll try out you retro fly. I do have all the ingredients so it will be a fun experiment. I will try it at Oyster, Nile or the great but seldom fished Nanoose bay. Will keep you posted.

Johnny.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Albafly,

Nice flies. I too am on the Island and am hoping to hunt for pinks and cohos this summer/fall. If you are looking for a fishing companion for the beaches, I'm keen. Let me know.
Gman in Victoria

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks Gman,
I'm actually based in Vancouver, but i travel to the island (Port Hardy) once a month for work. I'll be fishing the beaches up that way a lot, so if you are up that way, give me a shout!
I would not even know where to start to look further south around Victoria- never fished south of Nanaimo! Thats not to say i wouldn't be willing to give it a go!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.