BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some input on how to troll for Chum this fall. I have all the gear and the boat, I just need a little guidance in how to set up for these scrappy and underated fish! I live on the Sunshine Coast and most of my fishing will be in the Davis Bay to Pender Harbour region. Every fall sees a very healthy return to the Chapman Creek Hatchery and I never see anyone trying to catch them out in the chuck. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Coho or Spring on the table anyday, but these are truly an awesome smoking fish when caught dime bright out of the ocean, as I've heard from the commercial guys, it's just trying to catch them as sport that has me perplexed.

Tight Lines

· Registered
11 Posts
That issue of BC outdoors is already off the shelves. Can you summarize what the tips are? I've seen schools of chum off the airport in vancouver. Just rolling on the surface close to the boat, you could almost net them!

Joann

· Registered
13 Posts
joann, i bought a copy of the mag this am at save-on, it is still on the shelf. years ago in the prime sockeye years we caught a fair number of chums late in the season on regular sockeye gear off the fraser.
cheers and tight lines ferret.

· Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, I admit I only tried one Shopper's Drug Mart before giving up! I'll look around more. And thanks for the Salmon University pointer too. Always looking for new tips.

Did bag one white spring out at the Bell Buoy while playing hooky from work today, so my smoker will have some fodder.

· Registered
11 Posts
Green flasher, anchovie, at 45 feet, about half mile NW of the bouy. Just before tide change. Trolling faster than a lot of people out there, FWIW.

The Bell Buoy has been good for us lately; this is the first white of the season.

· Registered
1,266 Posts
Chumlies 101 (Gathered from 3 years of Brown's Bay entertainment)

- Flashers: Purple Haze, Pink Haze, Green Haze, Plaid UV and plaid with green base all effective.
- Hootchies: MP-15's, MP-16's, Purple or blue 1/2 vs pink other half. All on BLACK hooks (oversized and tweaked) and all ~ 38 inches from knot to knot.
- Troll at Dead Slow - You don't even want the flasher to roll, but rather simply sway from side to side. Dependant upon local current, this can be as slow or slower than 1/2 a knot. In JohnStone Straits, was actually moving backwards against the tide much of the time.
- Depth: consult your sounder.
- Spread: Fake flashers on the ball at 8 feet of tether. Four rods good, six rods better, staggered of course.

That should well get you into them. Experimented on the West Coast with this technique last fall. Works as well there as the East Side.

Good Luck & Enjoy!! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog

· Registered
11 Posts
There's a lot of good information packed into that post!

For anyone else looking, the Chum issue of BC Outdoors is available at Save On Foods. I had struck out at my usual haunts, but the trip to Save On was worth it ... there were a good half dozen fishing-related magazines there. I never knew they had such a good selection.

· Registered
9 Posts
Last year I sent an email to someone who obviouslty knows how to catch Chums in the salt asking for advise. Here's the advise he shared with me. Good luck, the more info out there the better we all do.

As for flashers I run purple haze, coho specials and plaid but colour is not that important. It is important to run a dummy flasher off the cannon ball. I then run two rods 12' apart per side as these fish are like sockeye and school up and like lots of flash. The Terminal gear is cheap Micheal Baits pink and black, pink and blue and pink with glow white dots prerigged with swivel in it's head squirts. Cut the tenticles just above the U of the hook sometimes I also pull off every second tenticle. Use #4 or #5 single BLACK very sharp hooks. Tie 27" 40lbs leadersWhen putting the gear off the downrigger clip them close to the boat 7 to 10 feet. Troll slow!!!! Hope this helps.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Hi Ho there Nog......You back in the Port?....How was the summer on the high seas?....Will be heading over in late Nov. to drift the Stamp for early steel.........Ya gonna be around??...Ortho 8)

· Registered
1,266 Posts
fishortho said:
Hi Ho there Nog......You back in the Port?....How was the summer on the high seas?....Will be heading over in late Nov. to drift the Stamp for early steel.........Ya gonna be around??...Ortho 8)
aYup, back at the Hacienda Ortho. The season just passed was one of the better ones I've had out there, loads of springs, coho, hali's lings... and of course FUN!
Gimme a buzz when you're wandering over. Likely fit in a BS & Brew Session Buddy :beerchug:

BTW, I heard the chumlies are still going strong over at Brown's Bay! Couple of the Ladz are out playing today, and report some rather serious FUN! Derby was once again a BLAST! Our crew of Chumly Terminators managed 37 landed in 2 days! No "contenders", but some rather serious FUN allright! Best be booking tickets early for next year's go, she sold out better than a week ahead of the Derby this year! Will be there FOR SURE next!!

Tight Lines!
Nog

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.