BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My annual trip to Port Hardy is upcoming in August. :lol: I have fished there for years with plenty of success with all the basic ocean gear except I have not yet targeted salmon on the fly...Anybody have any experience casting to schools? trolling? :?:
What's the best setup? There will be lots of springs,chum,sockeye, and plenty of coho around at that time so put a line on a downrigger? I have a good 8-9 wt. rod and a really fast sinking line...would that work? I'm searching cause I want to use light gear and prove to my brother who lives there that it can be done..............Thanks, Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hi Ortho,

Although I'm by far no expert on the subject .... my buddy and I did troll minnow patterns sub-surface (3 - 4 oz weight) at Port Hardy last year and had marginal success. Had much better luck on the downriggers though. Just thought I would contribute what I could.

GOFISH 8)

·
Banned
189 Posts
Dragging a Bucktail is much more productive if you put 2 x #2 silver spinner blades in front of the fly.

With a smaller motor put the Bucktails right where the bubbles run out-absolute killer @ Duval Point.

If the motor is bigger and the bubble trail too strong then point the rods out the side of the boat close to the water and far enough back so the Bucktails make a distinct wake.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey GOFISH & Dogbreath......Thanks......I will definitely give ya the skinny after the trip. I have 4 full days there with favourable tides so I hope to hit some of those fatty cohos that are usually in the area at that time....Cheers....Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Sounds like great fun Ortho I'm envious ...... drive careful (we almost had a head-on because the driver of a camper must have nodded off) ........... be safe on the water ......... and good luck hooking them.

GOFISH 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts