BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres a good read i found on anouther fourm very awesome reading material! OK, here is years of info for you.....free of charge too!!!:eek:

1a. Go and buy a pack of MGB183, a pack of 6/0 open siwash hooks, a pack of barrel swivels, and some blue glow and chartreuse glow hot spot flashers (the commercial kind....don't waste your time with recreational swivels). Now, buy some 50 lb yamishita mono. Buy 15lb pancake downrigger balls if you only have 2 'riggers (ask if you want to know about bending the fin)

1b.If you dont have any dummy flashers, then buy some 100lb tripplefish mono and some cable snaps, and of course, more flashers. (ask if you want to know how to make dummies)

1c. Aim to fish at least 8 flashers........14 is better, but not possible if fishing 2 downriggers.

2. Rip every second 'leg' of the skirt off of the hoochies. Now, trim bits of the skirt 'legs' so they aren't all uniform in length.

3. Attach one siwash hook to each hoochie.

4. Tie 25" of 50lb yamishita mono to each hoochie.

5. Tie a barrel swivel to the end of each leader.

6. Attach a berkley snap to the swivel at the FAT end of the flasher.

7. Attach the leader to the fat end of the flasher. Eventually, attach flasher to mainline.

8. Leave the dock on August 12 AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE (in the dark if you have the equipment and know how).

9. Don't even think about dropping the gear until you hit the T-10.......but travel to the lightship if you can (don't be cheap on fuel here......make your cousin pay).

10a. Drop your dummies and the rest of your gear. Have all of your gear at least 90' down. Concentrate between 100' and 160' (.....all you skeptics, not too deep this year ). Troll between the lightship and the coal port, but concentrate around the lightship. I should add that you should be in 300' of water. If nothing is going on in 300', then sneak into the 180' contour, and work it until you find several schools of fish.

10b. Try and troll North and South.....an East/West tac will result in a nasty gear tangle when the tide starts humpin'.

11. When you get into fish, don't pull all of your gear at once. ALWAYS LEAVE DUMMIES DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. After 0930, troll south to the coal port/apex area. Concentrate here until the ebb is well over (1600).

13. Troll noth to the lightship after 1600.

14. Work that area on the flood, but you should be limited by now.

15. Don't bother fishing until the 11th.

16. If there are strong SE winds, troll the ozone (600-700') off of the coal port (just the ebb).

17. If there is a STRONG NW (i.e, too strong for most boats to handle), then fish the QA/Pt. Grey/North Arm on either tide.

18. If you need clarification, post more questions...

·
Registered
770 Posts
What forum was that???? Interesting advice this person gives. Expensive advice too.

coho_killer said:
heres a good read i found on anouther fourm very awesome reading material! OK, here is years of info for you.....free of charge too!!!:eek:

1a. Go and buy a pack of MGB183, a pack of 6/0 open siwash hooks, a pack of barrel swivels, and some blue glow and chartreuse glow hot spot flashers (the commercial kind....don't waste your time with recreational swivels). Now, buy some 50 lb yamishita mono. Buy 15lb pancake downrigger balls if you only have 2 'riggers (ask if you want to know about bending the fin)

1b.If you dont have any dummy flashers, then buy some 100lb tripplefish mono and some cable snaps, and of course, more flashers. (ask if you want to know how to make dummies)

1c. Aim to fish at least 8 flashers........14 is better, but not possible if fishing 2 downriggers.

2. Rip every second 'leg' of the skirt off of the hoochies. Now, trim bits of the skirt 'legs' so they aren't all uniform in length.

3. Attach one siwash hook to each hoochie.

4. Tie 25" of 50lb yamishita mono to each hoochie.

5. Tie a barrel swivel to the end of each leader.

6. Attach a berkley snap to the swivel at the FAT end of the flasher.

7. Attach the leader to the fat end of the flasher. Eventually, attach flasher to mainline.

8. Leave the dock on August 12 AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE (in the dark if you have the equipment and know how).

9. Don't even think about dropping the gear until you hit the T-10.......but travel to the lightship if you can (don't be cheap on fuel here......make your cousin pay).

10a. Drop your dummies and the rest of your gear. Have all of your gear at least 90' down. Concentrate between 100' and 160' (.....all you skeptics, not too deep this year ). Troll between the lightship and the coal port, but concentrate around the lightship. I should add that you should be in 300' of water. If nothing is going on in 300', then sneak into the 180' contour, and work it until you find several schools of fish.

10b. Try and troll North and South.....an East/West tac will result in a nasty gear tangle when the tide starts humpin'.

11. When you get into fish, don't pull all of your gear at once. ALWAYS LEAVE DUMMIES DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. After 0930, troll south to the coal port/apex area. Concentrate here until the ebb is well over (1600).

13. Troll noth to the lightship after 1600.

14. Work that area on the flood, but you should be limited by now.

15. Don't bother fishing until the 11th.

16. If there are strong SE winds, troll the ozone (600-700') off of the coal port (just the ebb).

17. If there is a STRONG NW (i.e, too strong for most boats to handle), then fish the QA/Pt. Grey/North Arm on either tide.

18. If you need clarification, post more questions...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this post was writen by a very successfull sockeye angler in the saltchuck at the mouth of the fraser years of success when the fish are in sounds like he works around the full moon were having in the days to come i'm sure of it! the info is well i guess ya can't be more straight forward! i don't know this person personally but i've talked to people who do and this info is priceless!!!! thought i'd share with fellow anglers!

C.K.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Get it now... the gas, as expensive as it is, will be cheap then me buy all the stuff for that set. I just wish I had a boat with 4 riggers, 32 flasher, and some guy to drive while reel em in.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahhhh i get it now!!!duhhh lol i have to work thisweekend or i'd be on the water!!!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Sock sucked like a sock sucking thing. Whales moved in and tured em off. I was already to go long but the chatter was dead. Dull August. Early morning no thing... long afternoon sun burn.
Have fun, Jason
Tomorrow it will and sock will be food.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey bigjay just curiouse on how you've made out so far in the saltchuck this year for me i've had 3 trips; 2 here in van and one in sydney on the island the 2 trips here i had one strike thats all on a anchovie! but mu one trip on the island i got no hookups using flasher and anchovie but the second i swiched up to an anchovie jig(chrome) i nailed a 20lb spring(hatchery) usind a 7 ft spinning rod with 10lb test in 120 ft of water bottom was sandy!

C.K.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Been out at least once a month have not had any silver sucess. Many big ling around Gabriola, one broken off spring around Thrasher, and some good hits. I can fish jush it is hard around here if you don't go out ever week or more. Hook up with me in sept. I am usually good then. At least I am not to proud to put out reports on my bad luck... the good is coming.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
116 Posts
skunkday

I got skunked Sunday Aug 13 too. Trolled North Arm to T14 in am then around Sandheads in pm. Nuttin. I thought Sunday would be the day we found a school of a million lobbing, but no. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We were out yesterday looking for Sockeye in front of the airport and we found some. We had 4 on, and ended up with 3 in the boat. Fished mostly between T10 and the lightship and we caught all of them trolling north very close to T10. Heard about lots of double headers on the radio and it seemed like most boats were getting a few if not limiting. The big schools have arrived!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.