BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I trolled North of Sandheads for 15 minutes tonight. No luck. 6:45pm-7pm. Talked to a guy at the ramp who lost a small Spring on the rigger around the same time straight out a ways from the light. He said he hooked it fishing deep like 140' on anchovie.

·
Banned
228 Posts
When we arrived to the launch within minutes so many boats were coming back in. 16-17 -20 footers. They said the wind was just strong & the waves too big. At Sandheads they said 5ft or higher. Tide change & a west wind even made the river quite "wild" even near Steveston... Anyways decided not attempt to boat 5 miles to Sandheads as our boat is only 16ft long. Anchored & tried casting spoons but no hits. Definately showed fish on finder. ----------- Any of you try to do troll in the Fraser? [spoons or plugs may work] I think when there's pinks people definately do troll for them in the river. Looks windy today [Sunday] also but not as strong possibly. :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
We fished sandheads Sat morning and we had two big ones for a few minutes on but they both broke the leaders. The third one was about 25 lbs, after a twenty minute fight a rouge seal grabbed him at the boat as I was about to net the fish. We chased the seal but be broke the leader as well. Lost another one about twenty minutes later. By 11:30 it got too rough and we moved to the bell buoy and trolled to false creek. We hooked up another big in front of Jericho and lost him after ten minutes. 0 for 5!! :wallbash:

·
Banned
228 Posts
Saltrover You may have not landed the fish but you had lots of action!!! Now that's DRAMA... [ that rotten seal---- come to think about it that seal broke one of the commandments "THOU SHALL NOT STEAL" [ha] Interested what type of set ups you were using...anchovy I assume & down-rigger... :peace:

·
Banned
228 Posts
Saltover 2oft you say... that interesting... Just in area of the lighthouse [Sandheads] the water is not too deep 50 ---60ft so I assume you were fishing in not too deep of waters. [mind you if one goes N.W. only 1/2 mile bottom starts to drop fast] Also we're going to give spoons & white hootchie a try... thanks for info!!! Much appreciated . Only a few wks ago seen pods of ORCA WHALES near this area... That was a nice sight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree with some big fish in 20 feet at sandheads also. Usually happens there when you've got your first rig down and you're preparing to stack the second one on the downrigger cable. Makes for a good day when you're still getting your lines wet and one takes off on you.

·
Banned
228 Posts
BCI That's what I call fishing!!! Fish on quickly!!! Yes alot of fish can be taken at 20 ft in that area... [ reminds me when I worked in Quesnel for the summer of 1977...there was a lake called "fish lake" aprox 1 hr drive "logging roads" west of the city...I'd get a fish on very 5 min. all the same size 8-9 in... also there's a nice lake 10 MILE LAKE yes 10 miles north of Quesnel basically next to the highway...which has alot of fish... A big fish broke my flyrod] also thanks for info Saltrover 150ft down [ the 20 ft is lenght from down-rigger clip to lure ok]

·
Registered
85 Posts
I considering trying to fish Sand Heads this weekend. Although I have launched in Steveston many times to cross the strait, I have never fished there. Would anyone here be willing to share some information on where it is best to fish? How far out do I need to be? Is it straight out or is it to the north or south of the river jetty?

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Just north and try to time a high slack tide. The current gets moving pretty good durring mid change and
can be a challenge. Also you will more than likely see other boats out there and keep an ear on the radio
for some chit chat.

:beerchug: Marko

·
Banned
228 Posts
Enniberg Hi To another ARIMA BOAT OWNER to another ARIMA BOAT OWNER... As mentioned by Marko... when you get to the mouth of the Fraser R. go past the north lighthouse & turn north... on high tides some boats fish in the back-waters [north of the jetty after they go past the lighthouse... quite shallow water there 20-40ft..] Most will fish just north to northwest of the lighthouse in 1 sq mile area. 60 - 150 ft to the bottom generally... Careful if your using a down-rigger as one minute your in 100ft of water then one minute later your in 50ft of water... Most boaters do not want to be at Sandheads if the tide is going out quickly aided by the flow of the river's current & having a strong west or NW winds... then the river can then get a little scary.[ Ocean too] But for 20ft boats & less low wind & a high tide is ideal!!! [ I've seen car-toppers out there] Sandheads is a very very good place to fish in Sept. from what I gather. By the way we bought a new prop at Galleon Marine today ... now have peace of mind when boating... chipped prop now a back-up [you know about our prop problem...thanks again for your info] By the way white hootchies... & green coyote spoons... anchovy ... [orange or red spoons for coho...] chums also should start to be around... saw fish surfacing in middle arm of Fraser today... definately fish are there to be caught... Friday is forecasted to be windy by water so hope winds die down for Sat-Sun ..... Also just west of the south lighthouse [100-300 yards west] I nearly always see fish on "finder" worth a try [Be careful as depths can be 30ft & also the odd "floats" about]

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.