BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
unfortunately, you're correct. for most of the year, they use farmed Atlantics :naughty: when there is sockeye available, most reputable places will serve sockeye, which is far and away the finest fish. you can always tell the Atlantic by it's pale colour, and white lines, (fat) running through the meat. I wouldn't touch it with a ten and a half foot pole! ;D

·
Registered
415 Posts
Most sashimi/sushi is sockeye. The reason for this is that the Japanese love a rich red flesh. An oily flesh also has more flavour raw (and cooked). For your own use at home, I would rate salmon sashimi as follows:
1. sockeye
2. red springs
3. maybe the odd coho (especially jacks)
4. the rest aren't worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
648 Posts
i can, as a chef, assure you that there is a tremendous amount of farmed atlantic salmon in use. i've also heard of parasites if the salmon has not been frozen, but in all of the years (33) that I have been a chef, I have NEVER been sick from eating raw, and non frozen salmon. I can also tell you, that I have never had better tasting raw salmon that a winter spring, prepared fresh on board.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just so you know I have found worms in Salmon I have caught, in both tidal and non-tidal waters. These worms/parasites can make you sick and lead to tapeworms, hookworms and other parasitic worms, they can even be deadly. So something to take seriously I think. Make sure you freeze your fish before smoking in particular as the average smoker only heats to an internal temperature of less than 200 degrees celcius(not sufficient to kill).

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
ogobogo said:
i can, as a chef, assure you that there is a tremendous amount of farmed atlantic salmon in use. i've also heard of parasites if the salmon has not been frozen, but in all of the years (33) that I have been a chef, I have NEVER been sick from eating raw, and non frozen salmon. I can also tell you, that I have never had better tasting raw salmon that a winter spring, prepared fresh on board.
I work in the industry as well from the wholesale side but any of our reps would tell you your nuts (no offence) to use fresh raw anything, its the parasites you have to be worried about, even the sashmi tuna is not caught in canada the only reason they can call it fresh is because it was caught in another country frozn at sea, brought into canada thawed reprocessed and called fresh again, you can not buy canadian caught sashimi grade tuna but anyways the japanese are the best at it, its in the way they kill them. Just because you havent got anything yet you are still playing roullette. My :2cents:

Oh yeah we service a very good percentage of sushi places on the Island and can without a doubt say that the ones we deal with do not use atlantics.

lol and im not gunna say who does cause it would shock ya :eek:.......and your wallet

·
Registered
415 Posts
In all honesty Ogobogo, you must have missed the lecture on eating raw fish at cooking school. I'm not surprised you have never been sick eating raw, previously unfrozen salmon. I suspect that few if any ever do get physically sick. What you have to worry about are 2 things:
1. Parasites - these little buggers live up to their name and engage in parasitic behaviour in the host (ie you). There are some that will kill you if they take hold. If you need any of the gory details let me know.
2. Symbiots - the most infamous is the tapeworm. Symbiots live off the host but their presence is benign since they evolved long ago 'knowing' that if the host is killed, they die also. People have been found with 16 foot tapeworms wrapped around their guts, which is nice and sobering to think about.

As a chef, I hope you don't expose your customers to this needless risk. Salmon frozen ONCE retains all the flavour of raw fish. Freezing for a minimum of 24 hours and preferably 72 will remove all risk of parasitic infection. As a public service, you should let us all know what restaurant you work for so we can avoid any raw fish, if we happen upon the joint.

As far as smoking salmon goes, fish should be frozen first before thawing and smoking. No flavour will be lost and at least you will be safe.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Add to that rivahman, its -20 for 24hours, home freezers dont do that, so 72 hrs would be recomendable at home. I always freeze my fish before smoking but proper brining does does kill parasires its way too salty for them to live.
follow the rules there would be no problem, like you say above RM a lot of the times you wouldnt know you had a parasite in ya

·
Registered
648 Posts
sorry guys, but I can assure you that I've cleaned more salmon than most anyone else out there, and have never seen any signs of parasites. It's not that I'd advocate it, and it doesn't mean that they're not out there...
the thing to remember is that to kill off anythig, you have to freeze it beyond the capabilities of 99% of the freezers out there. Id rather doubt that any of us have that capability at home, so if you try, you are comprimising the quality of fish, for no benefit. Also, if you brined it long enough to kill all of the "bugs" you'd ruin the fish, so from my experience, which involves cleaning and filleting about 8 to 10 thousand fish, I'll take my chances. I'm not suggesting that you all go out and try it, but I'll trade the risk for the benefit. Oh yeah, be careful to look both ways when you cross the street tomorrow, because sometimes people get hit by cars...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well Ogobogo, if you have cleaned all those fish and have never seen signs of parasites, you probably haven't looked close enough or know what they look like. I've cleaned my share of fish in my life and have seen, on many occasions, worms in the stomach/intestine and liver cysts to name but a few. I've also seen tapeworms and cysts buried in the flesh. Those are the parasites/symbiots that you can see. It doesn't even take into account the larval stages of these beasts which are microscopic.

As far as freezing goes, its not necessary to have an 'industrial' freezer. Freezing in a normal home freezer for 72 hours or more will kill all the bugs. Properly vacuum packed fish will last a long time frozen with no degradation of quality. Funny how sockeye frozen at-sea on trollers ends up months later on sushi tables in Japan. If anyone is fussy about quality, its the Japanese.

It really doesn't matter what you do...far be it for me or anyone here to tell you how to live your life. It bothers me though that some people will read your post and think its safe to eat raw fish before its frozen first. If you can show me any literature that suggests the practice is safe, I'd love to read it but I doubt you will find any. Freezing fish first before eating raw is pretty much a no brainer.

·
Registered
648 Posts
did you read my last post???
I'll explain it for you. I'm not discounting the fact that parasites do exist. What I'm saying is, just because there are cars on the road, doesn't mean that I won't cross it. I guess that I'm just lucky, never been hit by a car, and never fallen ill from eating unfrozen fish. Oh and by the way, the reason that the fish isn't compromised at sea is because of the specialized blast freezers. Whaddja think, they have a couple of walls of Fridgidaires???

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thats a pretty poor analogy re cars on the road. Now maybe if the cars were hard to see or invisible, you might rethink on how you cross the road... and then again maybe not.

You also seem to have a mindset that only industrial sized freezers will kill parasites. Not sure how you came to that rather odd conclusion. But anyways, no sense arguing.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.