BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished this morning in the company of 8 boats over the course of my outing. No one had any keepers to the boat however I had 2 strikes, 1 of which was the tell tale "thump thump" of a big mature spring. Unfortunately, wasn't to be as by the time we got to it, it was too late. Don't know how it missed my ultra sharp Gamakatsus. Reeled in and lo and behold..the 6 inch anchovy was gone, nothing but the head left in my Rhys Davis Anchovy Special.

It hit on my typical fall set up with a 7 foot leader.

Nice calm day on the water, a nice cool breeze to keep things reasonable..and sunshine all day.

Location was local to Vancouver and a known spot for producing BIG springs year over year at this time.

Crabbing was relatively disappointing, but we did find a few, as I can see that people has been shooting their mouth off, divulging where the highly productive spots are and blowing it for everyone else. In fact, there were so many traps at one prime location, I drove right over it as there was no way I was going to put my 2 traps down among 13 blasted others.

No keepers for anyone that I know of other than one lucky angler up Howe Sound who boated a summer beauty!

FM signing off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A really good day. :)

I went out with a buddy to Thrasher Rock for the first time today. I'm a relatively new boat owner and have not ventured as far afield yet. Pleasant and fast trip out from the north arm. We saw a pod of whales on the way as an added bonus. We landed a red spring (about 15#, mature with eggs) within 20 minutes of arriving. Two other strikes with long runs but lost them. All three bits of action were before noon and all were on the same rig - green and white hoochie @ 130 ‘. No takers on our spoons or anchovies. We were fishing along the 150’ depth line. Lots of action on the sounder. Other boats also were having luck. A couple of boats we chatted to said there fish came from higher in the water column and on anchovies. Pleasant trip back with a dolphin sighting.

This may not seem such a big deal to the old pros, but I’m a relative newbie who has been learning the ropes by gleaning information wherever he could. This a forum being one of the most important. Thanks to all who have given open advice. To those who prefer to be mysterious … well whatever.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Was out this morning from 5:30 - 11:30. Bell to QA to the Slash and back in the company of 6 or 7 other boats. I didn't see anything landed, but we were pretty spread out. No keepers, 3 undersized all on hoochies. Anyone else catch anything? From what I heard on Ch. 78, there was some action, but I think over the other side. I'd like to try again Monday or Tuesday - any news would help... :)

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
FM.....I understand what you are saying about the crabbing. I innocently posted up once here about the spot we use in local waters and have since shut my mouth. I have been travelling for work like crazy for the last month, but hope to get out a few times in the next couple of weeks. Is anyone seeing anything showing up for ho's at the Cap?

MLawton....keep posting up! The stories/reports are great to hear and especially good to hear a relative newcomer enjoying a good day out there and not being afraid to post up. Seeing whales/dolphins/porpoises always make a good day for me....fish or no fish.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Pippen...

From what I hear the Cap hasn't produced any Coho yet for us salties. It's way too early at this point. Last year some showed up June 20, but it was luck if you hooked 1 or 2....and they were jacks.

As for the crabbing business...this is ridiculous!~ I've NEVER seen that many traps there before.....and you've probably noticed that I've modified my reports a bit...and regrettably so.

I remember once a few years ago...a friend posted about the "fantastic" fishing that he was having over a 4 day period in July...it was literally 2/3 20-25lbs springs a boat a day..and then the tackle shops got ahold of the info...the papers..then..the rest of the guide fleet...and it was 300 boats...yes...300 boats fishing a run of fish that would have been great for 12 boats......and the location wasn't where most people would think in July... but it was good fishing by Vancouver standards. Oh well.

I'll continue to post reports...and I'll be selective in what I choose to post...but for those so inclined to PRIVATE message...I'll probably be obliged to share a few more details than here...

Tight lines all....

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
fishinmagician said:
Hey Pippen...
As for the crabbing business...this is ridiculous!~ I've NEVER seen that many traps there before.....and you've probably noticed that I've modified my reports a bit...and regrettably so.

I'll continue to post reports...and I'll be selective in what I choose to post...but for those so inclined to PRIVATE message...I'll probably be obliged to share a few more details than here...

Tight lines all....
I know it is pretty darn early for the ho's......you just never know. Early, late, on time....or just not showing up.......they can be unpredictable.

I hear ya.....in the last 1-2 years I have seen increasingly more and more traps out there and coincidentally....I have lost 5 traps in the last 2 years; go figure eh!?! That is after using the same 2 traps for about 6 years! :pissed:

I am in the same frame of mind as you about the PM's etc. I can get a pretty good read on here of individuals and don't mind sharing some info via PM. When I was new on here (not new to fishing) guys like BigJay, Ortho etc were great about helping out via PM's. All in all I think the little group we have here on the salt forum is pretty darn good people and I have no quams about sharing info. I am still keeping my prawning grounds up in Howe Sound very hush hush though after what has happened to the crabbing. ;)

Good luck out there!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm planning on going out in front of the cap to try the new downriggers this upcoming friday. Do you think it's worth going out? Sounds like it might be too early for the cap. I was hoping to target some springs......or at least anything that would bend my rod. I'm a newbie when it comes to this so any advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks guys!!

P.S. The crabbing has been good in the arm!

·
Banned
54 Posts
Sorry I asked that question guys... I am one of the few who doesn't get out as often as I would like. I tend not to blab tomuch when I fidn a descent hole... I like to share with a select few when I fond soemthing that is worthwhile however...

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Stuck in Reverse said:
Sorry I asked that question guys... I am one of the few who doesn't get out as often as I would like. I tend not to blab tomuch when I fidn a descent hole... I like to share with a select few when I fond soemthing that is worthwhile however...
Stuck...ask away or as FMagician says...try a PM. I think we have both seen in the past years the error of posting up some good spots on a generally open forum. I was shown some places by a member here and now see probably 10-15 times the number of floats out there compared to even 2 years ago. If you have a look at the "new forum changes" which is in one section it mentions trying to get people to contribute. That is kind of the point of the forum.....not to log on, read up and take off with any tips while never contributing. We have just seen the results of posting up (not saying that this is the only place that people get info) about crabbing spots and now see them inundated with traps.

I am not directing this at you either....you seem to be a good person from reading your posts thus far and not afraid to jump into the fray. :thumbup: That is the kind of thing that the core group of members here like to see. That core group of users on here are all great people and I have no issues sharing any info with any of them or helping out where I can.

Anyhow....drop me a PM if you want some ideas of places or hell, if you drop your boat in the water in Vancouver I would head out with ya for a couple of hours to catch some "dinner" that lurks on the bottom.

Pipps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts