BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Save our River & Parks
Stand up for Pinecone Burke Provincial Park

A private power line right-of-way is proposed to be cleared through Pinecone Burke Provincial Park. The public has limited time to offer input, the deadline for public input is April 2, 2008.

Some things you should know!

A private power company, Northwest Cascade Power, is proposing a massive 180 megawatt private hydro project in the Upper Pitt River. This power project would involve:

• Diverting all 8 of the major tributaries of the Upper Pitt river system into 30 kilometres of large pipes, then running them through 7 powerhouses to produce electricity.
  • Clearcutting a network of power line corridors throughout the Upper Pitt River Valley.
  • Ramming a power line right through the northern portion of Pinecone Burke Provincial park

A very special place:
Located just 40 kilometres northwest of Vancouver, the Upper Pitt River valley is a remarkable place with hot springs and waterfalls. This area is renowned for its wild salmon and majestic wildlife including grizzly bears, wolverines, Elk and Mountain Goats. Putting power lines throughout the watershed and through neighboring Pinecone Burke Provincial Park would have serious repercussions for the region's fish and wildlife populations and set a terrible precedent for parks in British Columbia.

Proposed Last Meeting

This is the last meeting to make our voice heard! The proponents have tentatively re-scheduled the final public meeting for the Upper-Pitt/Pinecone Burke on Tuesday March 25 (the Tuesday after Easter Monday) 4-9 PM, most likely at Pitt Meadows Secondary School 19438 116B Ave. (at the corner of Blakely Road, a few blocks south of the Lougheed Highway), Pitt Meadows, British Columbia.

PLEASE NOTE THE MEETING HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED BY THE PROPONENT! Please contact Andrew for more information at 604-683-8220 or [email protected].

The Wilderness Committee will provide transportation to the public meeting. www.wildernesscommittee.org

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Re: Save our rivers, Last meeting info, we need your support!

DAMN IT !!!!!

i cant believe i cant make any of these meetings. i cant miss work because there is noone to cover for me and i cant take the pay loss :'( :'( I actually used to go to that school though.

Is there other ways we can make ourselves heard besides sending letters to the Gov't with that link you supplied in the other thread Rick?? Maybe we can get everyones names on a list, start a petition or something

· Registered
283 Posts

this is a letter i just sent them...

Hello I just wanted to drop you a quick note to say. I have lived along the fraser River most of my life & have fished & boated along it forever..

I must put in my 2 cents & say sure these power companies may line yer pockets with few $$ Bucks but please consider what you are doing to the natural beauty & the fish of that area. they will kill off so much. So please take a trip up along this fine peace of land & see for yourself what will happen.. God gave us this earth to help us Not so we could destroy it for our own personal gain. Your goin to hell my friend I just wish you would save this part of land & stop these power companies & who knows mabey save a bit of your soul as well..

Take care & remember this letter the next time you tell your kids to go out & play. ( they soon wont have anywhere to play at this rate

Scott

Pitt Meadows

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

biffchan said:
I found this group on facebook today: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8220689310

Looks like the fishermen aren't the only ones concerned over this. The more people who are united the better!
Surprisingly fisher people are the least supportive! I can bet there will be alot of anglers crying the blues when all the rivers have power lines and big pipelines running up and down and the salmon streams in the province are sterile!

· Registered
1,367 Posts

Rick Baerg said:
biffchan said:
I found this group on facebook today: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8220689310

Looks like the fishermen aren't the only ones concerned over this. The more people who are united the better!
Surprisingly fisher people are the least supportive! I can bet there will be alot of anglers crying the blues when all the rivers have power lines and big pipelines running up and down and the salmon streams in the province are sterile!
Will you be attending, Rick?

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The last meeting to stop the Run of the River Power project from devistating our rivers and stream is now confirmed for Tuesday March 25. Everyone please attend.

The final public meeting for the Upper-Pitt/Pinecone Burke on Tuesday March 25 (the Tuesday after Easter Monday) 4-9 PM, most likely at Pitt Meadows Secondary School 19438 116B Ave. (at the corner of Blakely Road, a few blocks south of the Lougheed Highway), Pitt Meadows, British Columbia.

See you there,

:cheers: Rick

· Registered
909 Posts
It was nice to see the big blurp in the province today. The more it can be attention that can be brought to the publics eyes in these situations the better. The only other time I have seen this in the public eye was at the outdoors show. Most people were just walking by and not even considering signing the petition. As Rick put it there will be alot of people bitchin when their favorite water way has a pipeline through it and no fish in it. Every one should be doing there part to help protect pristine waters like this. At the very least take time to at least mail MOE and BC Parks your thoughts on the project.
Crazy D

· Registered
151 Posts
1200 people showed up!! Woohoo! Many anglers were there, thanks to Ehor, Alexis, Vic, Gary and of course Rafe Mair for the passionate speeches...

I agree with Gary, the gloves are indeed coming off on this one, if it comes to that.

Cheers,
Nicole

PS> I took a picture of the maps that show the salmon spawning habitats that will be lost on these tributaries if this is allowed to happen... Just plain scary. I will post the maps tomorrow sometime.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
glad to hear there was a huge turnout :thumbup: sorry i couldnt be there but i need to work :confused:

Crazy Drifter, I didnt see a petition signing at the outdoors show :confused: maybe i just missed it :wallbash: whereabouts was it?

· Registered
909 Posts
Hey Hook, It was at the Watershed Watch Salmon Society booth, if I remember right it was at the end of one rows, :confused: I think
Cheers
Crazy D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.