BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few years back in targeting Springs & Sock's on the Fraser, bar hopping in my home built 13ft welded with a prop outboard. Id' soak my bar rigged Christmas tree ornament for no more than 2 hrs then I'd move to another bar upstream.
I usually launch @ Aggasi & start down river & move my way up, in this situation I was one bar below Ferry Isl, which was the bar that always produced for me but the fishing spots was always a premium & the afternoon shift opened up many opportunity's.

My life altering ordeal happened when I saw boats exiting Ferry Isl which gave me an opportunity to raise my chances in a better fishing spot, I left some buddy's behind & went on with my 10yr nephew
Ferry Isl was may be a mile&a-bit from where we were.

In my stupidity I neglected to wear my PFD & made my nephew wear his. The Fraser must always be respected, I know that now.
The dark merk of the Fraser camouflaged an obstacle in the center of the river that thew me of the boat & to make matters worse, my shut off lanyard never worked & with me overboard & the tiller unattended, my craft did doughnuts around me as I tried my best not to get a prop haircut. I only remember yelling @ my nephew to grab the tiller & shut her off, which was 4 circles around me already
Now tired from avoiding the boat & waterlogged with my mack, hoodie & jeans. I faded more & more under water, luckily I mustered one last bit of strength to peal off my clothes........due to my thoughts of not wanting to leave my daughter & loved ones
Like a miracle as I slowly faded under. An angle in my eyes, in a inboard jet plucked me out of the water.I will always be thankful to the unnamed good Samaritan

A year had passed & will never forget my ordeal, I will never give way to unprepared & unsafely protocol.
That fishing season I was able to save someone else s life on the mighty Fraser, Paying it forward as U may

An older gentleman from WA state that I followed upriver towards Herling Isl, noticed him motoring sporadically, with the bow of his Jon boat pointing up in the air, like that the motor was improperly trimmed, as I passed him some ways ago, I turned my head to see how the fellow was doing & @ a split sec. after I witnessed the boat flip & capsize. with a quick U turn I was soon able to assist

The chest deep rushing water held him up as he was preventing his capsized boat from drifting further , gear littered the area ones that floated
The distressed boater cared more about the floating gear so I retrieved some but as I did I noticed that the waders that he was wearing was now a parachute underwater
I urged him that Fuk the gear, saving him was more important, which I did. At the shore I flipped his boat over, re-fired his motor gathered the remaining gear & gave him a wobbly pop, told him to take five till he got his bearings
Its funny how wat comes around go's around

Peace
K

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i firmly live my life by two principles, what goes around comes around and everything happens for a reason, good stories kanuckle head....holmes*

1 - 3 of 3 Posts