BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local tackle shop has Scotty 1099 electric downriggers on sale for $409.00. This is a good price for this area but I wonder if there's a better deal out there. I've used my manuals for the last ten years but think I'd like to finally upgrade. Anybody know of a better price?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Made the plunge and bought a pair and spent yesterday afternoon installing them. Went pretty smoothly. Surprised at how fast they are. Next question I have would be if my 10lb cannon balls are heavy enough for ocean fishing?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think you will find them a little light, I run 15's and in the stronger currents trolling faster for springs I find they will ride up. Most of the guys I know run 15's.

I also put the 250 lb braided line on with the blue snubber connectors; with teenage kids and my dad dropping the downrigger bar....it has definitely saved me a few times from snapping the line.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you think about the pancake type weights? Think a 12lb flat weight would cut through the water and stay down?

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I did my conversion the Scotty rep told me to go with the 250 lbs line as its much thicker and the stoppers don't slip. I have had it for 2 yrs now and absolutely no problems at all.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What do you think about the pancake type weights? Think a 12lb flat weight would cut through the water and stay down?
Pancake weights have there place but I would stick with the round ones. The pancake ones can be a pain in currents but can be used to keep your gear apart if foul ups are a problem by bending the fin a bit like a rudder. If your just beach fishing your tens will be fine..... Used them for years. If you go offshore at all then fifteens are the ticket. I now run 12's onshore and 15's offshore. If I happen to loose a 15 then the 12 will work not bad but the 10's are noticeably too light when going real deep. :cheers:

·
Registered
572 Posts
I like pancakes because they give me a spot to hook up the daisy chain flashers, bend the fins so they spread away from the boat. Lastly the 250 lb braid is far superior to the wire...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the pancake weights, 2 reasons, I run one Scotty and one Cannon down rigger. On the Cannon, I run the 10lbs pancake and the Scotty run a 10lbs ball. Watch the angle of the down rigger line if you are running into current or trolling at a faster speed. Less angle on the pancake. Second reason - I dress the pancake blade with a reflective tape and it emulates another flasher and seems to be a little better attractor. Even using identical gear on both rods, the Cannon seems to be a better consistent producer. Every little advantage helps I guess. I plan to change out the ball on the Scotty and keep it for another spare.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just upgraded to the HD 2106B down rigger and I love it. The descent is fast and smooth and quiet. The retrieve is unbelievably fast - even with the 15 lb ball. I like the digital counter and the fact that the reset button only requires a single touch.

By buying the B version already spooled with braided line, you only pay $20 more than the stainless version - another bonus.

Braided all the way.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Steveston Marine was $400 for the 1099, I just replaced mine instead of rebuilding, the original 1099's did 15 years and don't owe me a cent... I did pay a bit more buying local but I support our local business.

Braid versus wire, IMHO there is no comparison 250 lb braid is far better, don't have to worry about kinks, broken strands or electric current. The cost of the braid far out wieghs the cost of losing cannon balls. I use swivels instead of the Scotty stops so they never come off my line.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Steveston Marine was $400 for the 1099, I just replaced mine instead of rebuilding, the original 1099's did 15 years and don't owe me a cent... I did pay a bit more buying local but I support our local business.

Braid versus wire, IMHO there is no comparison 250 lb braid is far better, don't have to worry about kinks, broken strands or electric current. The cost of the braid far out wieghs the cost of losing cannon balls. I use swivels instead of the Scotty stops so they never come off my line.
Hey Bret a little off topic and sorry for the hijack, but I was just wondering with your swivel idea instead of the Scotty stops, do you just run the braid through the swivels or are you cutting the braid and tying on the swivels at predetermined intervals. I would think that running the braid through the swivels they may still be able to be moved, but cutting and tying the braid would be kind of permanent.
Thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
No worrys Oly1 I cut a bit of braid and tie the swivels in. It's a sure thing, never had a swivel jam on the way up but some times fetchs up on the way down not a big issue. I use gange line between the braid and the ball because it's way easier to grab and haul the whole rig out of the water. I cut off a bit of line every two weeks or so as mine get a lot of use and I put a new swivel on at that time, just a note I have never had a swivel fail...

Bret

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was talked into using 150lb braid for the lack of drag on my scotty's and we have nothing but trouble with it. I have lost 4 balls in the last 3 months with the Power Pro 150. I am going back to cable for a while and might try the 250lb.
I really want to like the braid but I am having trouble trusting the stuff as small knicks in the line mean losing balls.....

·
Registered
572 Posts
Orcabait, go to the 250 it's really good, it does take a lot of abuse, I was telling Oly1 that I put a swivel into the line and naven't had a failure with a swivel... There doesn't seem to be anymore drag really the lines run at about the same angle. I run a charter boat so I get a lot more cycles on the gear as comapred to the weekend folks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A question on trolling speed, do you go by ground speed gps or angle of the line, if it's the angle then more weight would mean less angle?
Bret what was the knot you use to tie the swivel and sorry (I'm new to down riggers) but what is a gange line.
thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts