BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oregon and Washington can start killing sea lions that feed on migrating salmon to help preserve dwindling U.S Pacific Northwest salmon populations.
The National Marine Fisheries Service granted permission to the states to target as many as 85 sea lions a year near the Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River. Oregon's Department of Fish and Wildlife said removal will start April 1.

I have personally witnessed over 1000 seals in Howe Sound on the log booms between May and November. They come on the log booms from Northern regions on every single tow pulled into Howe Sound. The females give birth in June. They abondone 100's of pups every year. "food shortage, perhaps?" The salmon returning to the Squamish River and its tributaries don't really have a chance. Between the caustic soda spill and the seals having a party in the river and Howe Sound, the salmon's future looks terrible!

I have seen many seals in the Squamish River. Seen seals up the Fraser River as far up as the Peg Leg bar in Chilliwack.

Rats of the sea!!! My :2cents: :'( :pissed: :wallbash:

· Registered
249 Posts
85...HTH did they come up with that number? Seems to me that will hardly have a positive impact on the salmon. However, it's good if you're a sea lion that doesn't get whacked...less competition = more food.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.