BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your opinion on retaining you 2 trout a day limit for sea run cutthroat? I know that the hatcherys only use wild fish to produce hatcherys! So in my opinion the hatchery cutthroat trout is for a kill fishery! am i wrong? I've done quite well fishing for these lil beauties and always kept my 2 hatchery fish per day! Just looking for input from other members the past few years i've done quite well for cutties in our local rivers and i myself don't feel it is wrong to retain 2 fish per day! Your thoughts?

CK

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
If they are hatchery fish, you can retain them. If they are unclipped, they must be released. As long as you are checking the regs for water specific rules, I can't see the problem.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
professori said:
If they are hatchery fish, you can retain them. If they are unclipped, they must be released. As long as you are checking the regs for water specific rules, I can't see the problem.
Thanks Prof! Just alot of anglers get upset by retaining hatchery cutthroat for the fact that they are pretty to look at fish! They are but Give me a break if it's hatchery cliped i'm bonk'in it! Because thats what there there for! Around these parts the cutties are in great numbers that i've noticed around 50/50 hatchery's to wild! I kept a fishing journal everyyear for these fish and it's like clock work! The hard part is hunting for them! Finding them is the fun part! And hatchery cliped fish are if i'm not mistaken for a kill fishery am i correct? Or are they just there to look pretty? ::)

CK

·
Registered
423 Posts
Most people have not fished cutthroat over the years to see how the run has declined... it used to be fun targetting them , on the local tributaries, or the mainstem fraser... it is a shame that you can Kill these beautiful fish..(Even Hatchery) I can almost bet that in the next ten years there will be no more Cutthroat in the Valley... there are a lot more healthier runs to target than cutthroat... Keep an extra Coho or 2 next year and release the Cutthroat that you catch that way there might be a few extra around in a few years... better yet come to my place and I will give you a few extra pieces of fish if you need it that badly...
there are a lot of things open to retention, (Northern Pike Minnow, Chum Salmon, pea Mouth Chub, LargeMouth Bass) and so on, doesnt mean we need to run out and kill our limit does it....

CK you are right they are open for retention... its just a shame that that is the case...

Weaver lake is open for 4 trout per day, we'd better all run to get our limit......................................

If you cant tell I am against the Killing of Hatchery and Wild Cutthroat

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tntmarine said:
Most people have not fished cutthroat over the years to see how the run has declined... it used to be fun targetting them , on the local tributaries, or the mainstem fraser... it is a shame that you can Kill these beautiful fish..(Even Hatchery) I can almost bet that in the next ten years there will be no more Cutthroat in the Valley... there are a lot more healthier runs to target than cutthroat... Keep an extra Coho or 2 next year and release the Cutthroat that you catch that way there might be a few extra around in a few years... better yet come to my place and I will give you a few extra pieces of fish if you need it that badly...
there are a lot of things open to retention, (Northern Pike Minnow, Chum Salmon, pea Mouth Chub, LargeMouth Bass) and so on, doesnt mean we need to run out and kill our limit does it....

CK you are right they are open for retention... its just a shame that that is the case...

Weaver lake is open for 4 trout per day, we'd better all run to get our limit......................................

Why you against killing hatchery fish? Please explain? I'm only asking to get a better understanding on this fishery and maybe i might one day not target these fish! Thanks!

CK

·
Registered
587 Posts
Most people have not fished cutthroat over the years to see how the run has declined
Are cutthroat numbers down that much? I have always had good luck fishing cut's everywhere and I haven't noticed a decrease in numbers. Has anyone else? I will still kill a cut to eat but one or two here and there just like rainbows. They are a great fish in the pan! I don't, however, agree with killing two everytime out because I can. I would hope that most people here only kill what they are going to eat.

·
Registered
423 Posts
coho_killer said:
tntmarine said:

Why you against killing hatchery fish? Please explain? I'm only asking to get a better understanding on this fishery and maybe i might one day not target these fish! Thanks!

CK
I am not against Killing Hatchery Fish, heck if the run is doing good why not... I wouldnt Kill a Chehalis Summer Run Steelhead if it was Hatchery... why because there is not that many around...
I hunt alot as well but I will not Kill a doe... Just my personal opinion... look at the average size of A cutthroat nowadays... what is 11-14 inches... I remember when you could catch a 20 inch cutty on a regular basis....nowadays that chance is slim or nil...

KIlling the odd one I guess is alright but going out and loading a limit on a regular basis is going to wipe out the run... but there are those that cannot let a fish live to swim another day... take a pic we all have camera phones...

out of the dozen steelhead I have landed this year all but three were Hatchery...doesnt mean I should kill them... I let go all but 2... do I need the extra 7 hatcheries... will I eat them all... not a chance... I havent Killed a trout in a lake for the last 5 years as well...

I try not to Judge people without giving them the benefit of the doubt, but the Kill everything mentality has got change or we are as bad as other user groups that take advantage of the runs for personal gratification...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
tntmarine said:
Most people have not fished cutthroat over the years to see how the run has declined... it used to be fun targetting them , on the local tributaries, or the mainstem fraser... it is a shame that you can Kill these beautiful fish..(Even Hatchery) I can almost bet that in the next ten years there will be no more Cutthroat in the Valley...

I've got to disagree with you on the decline of the cutthroat. This is a strong fishery on the lower mainland and the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery is doing a fantastic job with the enhancement. Many a time I have run into guys fishing brood stock on the many backwaters of the Fraser from Chillwack to Hope. I always ask how the work is going and from what I'm told their is no problem or decline in this fishery. Kevin {cohokiller} has a point if their was a problem don't you think the Government would cut down or even drop the daily limit ? Now trout fishing is my main passion and I have seen every little to say there is a decline in region 2 for this fishery and I have over 40 years of trout experience in this region. It almost time for those gangs of marauding cuttys gorging themselves on fry and I for one would not miss. I don't very often kill trout on my outings but that does not mean everyone else doesn't have to either. Kevin if you like trout and want to take home your daily quota I say go for it man, I truly believe their is more guys out their that don't take home fish opposed to the one that do and hopefully this is the kind of balance we need to sustain this fishery

·
Registered
587 Posts
We just might have to have a cutty outing for the members....maybe a little deal out in harrison or something!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
SSSSHHHHHHHHH ! no cuttys on the Harrison nope none what so ever, haven't seen one in over 40 years, but if your looking for me over the next 2 or 3 month they is a good chance you will find me on the Harrison.........
bill said:
It almost time of the gangs of marauding cuts gorging themselves on fry and I for one would not miss.
Cascadmarine you know what I'm talking about don't yaa ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi guys ,since I'm a catch and realease fisherman only,like to say that I totaly agree with TNTmarine from above,by the way I'm not gona judge anyone by what they do when they catch a fish becouase everyone has a right by the law to retain a certain number of certain species.In my opinion this is what I think,numbers of fish are decreasing consistantly probably I would say in the past 15 years of what I know,by killing each fish there is less and less.Wouldn't it be nice to hit the water and everytime hook into at least one fish or more ,but it dosen't happen now a days does it,I think by releasing each fish we are increasing that chance at least a little bit,even if its a hatchery fish.By what I read how many fish return back to the river all numbers are in a decrease no matter hatchery or wild.I've fished in BC for three years now killed only three fish to try to eat or becoase I had to kill them,if I need fish for the table and I know many of you might not agree I go to the fish market,becouase there is already a fish been killed ment for as to eat why kill a nother one.I personaly think that the numbers you are aloud to keep set by the regs are to high,they should be the ones to act first.This is just pease of my mind,good luck to everyone :thumbup:

·
Registered
587 Posts
:thumbup: ;D right on! I have been tying madly to get ready....see you out there!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ribolovac said:
Hi guys ,since I'm a catch and realease fisherman only,like to say that I totaly agree with TNTmarine from above,by the way I'm not gona judge anyone by what they do when they catch a fish becouase everyone has a right by the law to retain a certain number of certain species.In my opinion this is what I think,numbers of fish are decreasing consistantly probably I would say in the past 15 years of what I know,by killing each fish there is less and less.Wouldn't it be nice to hit the water and everytime hook into at least one fish or more ,but it dosen't happen now a days does it,I think by releasing each fish we are increasing that chance at least a little bit,even if its a hatchery fish.By what I read how many fish return back to the river all numbers are in a decrease no matter hatchery or wild.I've fished in BC for three years now killed only three fish to try to eat or becoase I had to kill them,if I need fish for the table and I know many of you might not agree I go to the fish market,becouase there is already a fish been killed ment for as to eat why kill a nother one.I personaly think that the numbers you are aloud to keep set by the regs are to high,they should be the ones to act first.This is just pease of my mind,good luck to everyone :thumbup:
Thank you very much for your comments Bill. The only reason i brought up this subject is because the last few times i've targeted sea run cutties and it didn't matter what river or stream i fished i got into lots! So from what i have witnessed was, i hooked quite a few on every tip and the results were like i stated earlier 50/50 between wild and hatchery fish! People say don't kill cutties because they look so pretty or whatever! But so do coho.pinks.springs STEELHEAD heck even chrome chum are sweet to look at! Does that mean don't kill them too!? As pretty as fish are if it's a hatchery and you want to take one or two home (not every outing) But i avarage at best 6 cutties to take home a year and as long as theres a hatchery program in place i say why not take a few for the old frying pan!

CK

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don`t think there is anything wrong with killing a hatchery fish. The decision to kill is up to the individual as long as he or she uses legal and ethical technique. Note that hatchery fish aren`t created just to be killed. They are created to augment a dwindling stock. If a fish is to be killed it is preferable that it be a hatchery fish since only wild stock is used for brood stock. Hatchery fish can spawn in the wild and create the next generation of wild fish. If you kill a fish, make sure it is not wasted.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh and by the way i started this post to get some input on why people don't like it when other fellow fishermen/women retain a few cutties for the dinner table! I'm not pushing no buttons or trying to started a heated topic! All i want is your honest opinion on why or why not we should be able to retain hatchery trout be it Rainbow trout or Cutthroat trout! So far everyone has been honest i'm sure, and for that thank you! :cheers:

CK

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
CK, I think the answer lies in the reason one fishes. If one fishes for the joy of fishing, the end product (a killed fish) isn't the goal. If one fishes to get meat, killing the fish is the goal. I think for many of us (me for sure) we originally fished with the goal of bringing home some dinner. We learned, as we kept at it, that the experience of fishing, the process, from packing the gear, to travelling to the water, gearing up, reading the flow,making the cast, hooking up, playing the fish and finally landing it was all part and parcel of our enjoyment. The killing of the quarry seems so often to be unnecessary to the enjoyment of the moment. Often it seems to tarnish that moment. All said though, I do take a few fish every year for the table, but never so many that I take them for granted. Yes, hatchery fish are there so you may have a meal, but the real reason for hatchery programs is to increase the stocks of fish in the system. They are identified with a clipped adipose so that anglers can be sure they are not killing a wild fish, but also (perhaps more importantly) so that hatchery personnel don't use them for brood stock.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
A released fish is the ultimate goal. Any other way is is a personal decision supported by the
Department of Fisheries through regulation. Only through experience and a positive proactive
demeanour do we embrace the escents of true sport angling.

Never Forget....Always Remember...

Marko

·
Registered
188 Posts
CK i've been hitting the local waters in our area and have been having trouble finding these guys. I'm fishing some small spinners though. Haven't tried any shrimp lately. Anyway I connected with a nice 15in clipped cutty a couple months back ( thats how long its been and i've been trying ) and i couldn't kill it. Thats just my nature. I took 4 or 5 pinks this year and 4 or 5 dogs to use for roe and crab bait and food for the dogs. I always let my first fish go and I feel good when I let the other 98 % of my fish swin away. Your 6 cuttys a year arn't gonna hurt . If someone is taking 6 a week I think that is wrong even if it is law. And to the guy who said the government would step in if there was a issue with the cutty numbers ...What World Are You From? :wallbash: As Borat would say They have done a wonderful job so far (pause) NOT!!!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
professori said:
CK, I think the answer lies in the reason one fishes. If one fishes for the joy of fishing, the end product (a killed fish) isn't the goal. If one fishes to get meat, killing the fish is the goal. I think for many of us (me for sure) we originally fished with the goal of bringing home some dinner. We learned, as we kept at it, that the experience of fishing, the process, from packing the gear, to travelling to the water, gearing up, reading the flow,making the cast, hooking up, playing the fish and finally landing it was all part and parcel of our enjoyment. The killing of the quarry seems so often to be unnecessary to the enjoyment of the moment. Often it seems to tarnish that moment. All said though, I do take a few fish every year for the table, but never so many that I take them for granted. Yes, hatchery fish are there so you may have a meal, but the real reason for hatchery programs is to increase the stocks of fish in the system. They are identified with a clipped adipose so that anglers can be sure they are not killing a wild fish, but also (perhaps more importantly) so that hatchery personnel don't use them for brood stock.
I so agree with what you said!

I do at times fish for meat! Not always but i do like i said kill a few every year for the wife and me to enjoy! My only problem well not even a problem is that people like to say......( Oh the cutthroat fishery is in decline i let even the hatcherys go!) Thas great so do i! This is not bragging but in a winter season i manage to ususlly hook(not land alot of cutties) I wont say how many but in my opinion where i fish, and when i do find the fish, i usually catch lots! The trick is finding them! When you do, you usually hook more than one! And what i've seen over the past few years there to me seems to be more and more of them! The wild stocks seem to be strong as well as the hatchery fish! And when i do keep my cutties i'd gladly let go the 18 incher i landed to swim anouther day and be more than happy taking home a few 13 inchers instead! Thats just me tho! I have enjoyed seeing the stocks on the systems i fish comming back in decent numbers and i hope my daughter when old enough can enjoy the same fishery i have been enjoying the last couple of years! Those who know me probably have an idea on what systems i'm fishing and at times i travel great distances to enjoy catching and releasing these little bolts of lightning but to me it's worth it! Like i said i'm not putting a dent in the fish numbers by taking home at best 6 cutties a year! It just saddens me to hear all the negativity on when one reports or says they catch and kill a few cutties it's a bad thing! I don't see it! :2cents:

CK

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.