BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we all hear about the plethora of seals in and around Vancouver making it almost impossible to land a spring before it gets attacked ........ and we all see the odd seal (or more) swiming in the Fraser looking for something good to eat ......... but have you ever seen something like this???

Pics taken just below the Mission Bridge ..... you can see the Mission Race Track tents in the background.

Log booms of seals ........ big fat ones ........ sun tanning after eating their fill for the day. Now if this isn't a problem that must be addressed ... but how??? :wallbash: :confused:

GOFISH 8)

· Registered
1,989 Posts
I've seen the seals as far up as boston bar! I guess the seals have to eat as well! But that many in one group thats a little strange! I can see a picture like that near and around the fraser mouth but mission! Maybe have a seal hunt here in BC? I don't think that would help much!

· Banned
279 Posts
coho_killer said:
I've seen the seals as far up as boston bar! I guess the seals have to eat as well! But that many in one group thats a little strange! I can see a picture like that near and around the fraser mouth but mission! Maybe have a seal hunt here in BC? I don't think that would help much!
I'm not sure where Boston bar is but I do know that a bunch of seals live in Aggasiz year round

· Registered
413 Posts
I.ve seen about 50 seals sitting on a log boom in Dewdney last fall. Literally the whole boom was covered. :wallbash:

· Registered
1,061 Posts
testo84 said:
so cute

wish i can take 1 home as a pet
They are even cuter with a tiny red laser dot on their foreheads ;D ;D ;D
I take it testo you have never lost a fish to a seal ??? If you did you would not think of them as being so cute. These bugger do more damage in the river then the Fraser river flossing armada !!

· Registered
413 Posts
kingpin said:
how i would love to take one with my bow....
That's funny my buddy kept yappin about getting a reel mounted on his bow so he could fight one he carried this skinning knife around and said he was gonna get some new boots :happy:

· Registered
1,113 Posts
coho_killer said:
I have seen them in the Lilloett river as well, chasing springs.

No one wants a seal hunt. Just a simple and very quiet cull. :happy:

· Registered
736 Posts
finaddict said:
coho_killer said:
I have seen them in the Lilloett river as well, chasing springs.

No one wants a seal hunt. Just a simple and very quiet cull. :happy:
I guess that means a shot gun is out then eh? :D :D

· Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We counted over 100 seals today from the boat mfg. plant (just below the Stave River) up to the Mission Bridge. Can't imagine how many Steelies, Springs, Trout, Fry ... fall victim to their piggish eating habbits. :wallbash: :pissed:

I'm not questioning whether seals inhabit areas farther up river. I've been fishing the Fraser for a lot of years and I can't remember ever seeing two log booms covered in seals. What a disqusting sight. A couple (if you look close) are so fat you can't even distiguish their heads from the rest of their bodies.

Something surely has to be done to control the #'s of these predators ...... I'm sure they have grown in #'s in recent years.

On another note ....... Sturgey fishing was slow. A lot of boats (most it seemed) were fishing the Stave River down to about Whonnock Mill. Not much happening soooooooo we decided to head back up river and try the "flats". Hooked into 3 within 1 hour ....... biggest being about 5 1/2 feet. No monsters today.

Will post pics when my buddy emails them to me. I had the bait of choice ...... or was that the "choice bait" today. :thumbup:

GOFISH 8)

· Registered
35 Posts
I've got a great idea, let's turn the negative into a positive....lets fish for them! Get some serious big tuna setups and get at it! I bet the battle would be amazing....just not sure how to remove the hook without loosing a hand though?? ;D

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.