BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to skip work and head back to the Stave for another fun day, and this time I remembered the camera. Lots of fish today as well as fishermen. From what we saw fly fishers outfished everyone else. The only problem today...the fish were too darn big. No Chum under 15 lbs. very hard to land without breaking flies off everytime. Did land a couple though including the one in the pic. Must have had twenty hook ups today and they took everything I offered (some better then others though).

Attachments

· Banned
2,854 Posts
now thats one huge scary Stave chum :thumbup: good job on getting it on the fly. those big brutes sure are hard to bring in on a fly rod. Watch out for those teeth though removing the hook, I had one split my thumb open one day(almost to the point we left to get me stitches)

· Registered
374 Posts
Nice job on the fly buddy. Last time I fought a chum that size on my flyrod, it broke the butt off my new SAGE flyrod, that my students bought me. Wow! But SAGE fixed it for free. Good thing. :thumbup: Those chum are a beast of burden, but a nice beast, oh yes, nice beast! O0

· Registered
787 Posts
I know of a guy that got bit by a chum and ended up almost dieing from it , he got blood poisoning from the bite, (Those fish are full of bacteria) his hand swelled up and had a dark red line going up his arm... he is very very lucky...

Be carefull of those chompers they are really sharp

When i hook a fish like that i just break off the leader.... don't wanna get hit by those teeth. Most of the time the leader is so frayed its garbage anyway

· Registered
374 Posts
Yes, very true. When we used to work on the boat, we would have to clean the fish in a hurry, to be ready for the next set. So often, guys would cut themselves by the sharp fillet knives. So the fish slime and fish blood would make contact with the guys' cuts...bad situation. Infection would fester, hands became swollen, and skin would peel off their hands within a few days. It was nasty. Guys would try anti-bacteria type creams and lotions, but would not always work.

But yes, I think, in the mouth, such as from the teeth of a chum, it has even more bacteria.

· Registered
578 Posts
bedheadbean said:
Decided to skip work and head back to the Stave for another fun day, and this time I remembered the camera. Lots of fish today as well as fishermen. From what we saw fly fishers outfished everyone else. The only problem today...the fish were too darn big. No Chum under 15 lbs. very hard to land without breaking flies off everytime. Did land a couple though including the one in the pic. Must have had twenty hook ups today and they took everything I offered (some better then others though).
[/quote]

Good for you Bean

As you have now found out a fly angler who does his home work can over the long hawl out fish all other angler. It comes down to more options; more option = better odds = more fish; and in the end it's all a game of chance. Your next challenge is the Stave River Springs; Good Luck.

· Registered
578 Posts
Okay, lets clear a few things up.

First: while there are some ugly chum out there, but a top quality chum is the best smoker; bar none. I was told that years ago by a commercial fisherman but never believed it until I did a taste test myself with all four salmon species smoked by yours truly. So how do you grade chum? look at the belly under the gills; chrome is the best of course, but not necessary for smoking. Use this rhyme White is right, light gray is okay, but if it's black put it back.

As for the Stave springs, yes I was referring to the fight. Many of them are in the tyee category and are as much of a challenge to land on a fly rod as they are in enticing them to hit a fly.

Lastly, Stave river coho; for us fly chuckers there is a late run that come in Dec. these Dec fish are much easier for a novice to master since there are much fewer chum around to get in the way at that time.

Enjoy the sojour.

· Registered
374 Posts
When we used to fall fish up north for chum, we'd get the North Island chromers of October, then the slightly coloured ones by month's end, to the black Qualicum Dogs of November, with snow coming down. I tell 'ya, these chum were great on the smoker. (We actually have a chum recipe thread going on under the "general" section.)

After commercial fishing for 11 years, I got to know some wicked recipies from the 'ol timers. But yes, because chum have a rich oil content, they do lend themselves better for smoking.

As far as the fight...wow! I caught my first chum on trhe fly last year, on the Vedder. The pic is right there as my profile picture. And yes, it's true, by Oct 28-Nov, I was out-fishing the gear dudes, on the Vedder, for chum. I was surprised. I caught about a dozen chum that morning, lost most of them, only landed about 2-3. One chum broke the butt of my rod, another took my entire flyline, to the backing, and snapped it.

· Registered
578 Posts
Augie

Loosing the works is a comon thing for novice salmon fly chuckers. Go heavy on the backing 30 lb if you can find it but no less than 20 lb. Make sure you keep your leader is lighter than the lb test of your backing and regularly check your Knots. Years ago I donated two fly lines before I woke up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.