BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha on a bracket, RC version so the shift/throttle,electric, gas cables go through the transom.

Sometime over the weekend, someone tried to remove it from the bracket.

I have a yamaha lock thing (About $100) that stops you from turning the clamp handle; today I found it with one clamp all the way open, and the other still in place with the lock on. I also have it bolted to the bracket. Yamaha has locking bolts, which I've ordered for extra security. But...

Looking a little closer at my setup, assuming they cant get through the Yamalock, there are only 2 bolts hoding the bracket together at 3 different points, so someone with a wrench and socket set looks like they could walk away with the bracket and motor attached. THe Braket is fastened to the boat with bolts, so same thing there.

What other security measure Can I take?

Or what do you use?

Advice Appreciated. Only a matter of time to they return, I think.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
I never leave my kicker on the boat even when its in my garage. Better safe locked in the house and its takes no time to put it back on. No matter what you try to do to secure somebody will try and steal it. Better not to give these S.O.B.'s a opportunity to ruin your day........

· Registered
232 Posts
I chain my kicker to my main engine using a length of high quality chain and 2 locks. wrap the chain around the legs and attach the locks to the chain as tight as you can so they cannot slide the chain off. Seems to discourage thieves. I leave it on and I live on main street.

Matt

· Registered
461 Posts
Hi scoopy, glad to se you online.

Chain and a regular lock won't do much to discourage thieves. Large boltcutters will slice through most silently in seconds.

I did have a thought the other day, regarding securing outboards. Check in an automotive store for locking nuts for securing mags, you know the ones that come with a special key to secure your tires onto your vehicle. If you can find the same size stainless or galvanized bolt to match the thread size of the lock nuts you're in business. Way more effort to try and remove four of those locknuts. No idea how well it might work, but it might be worth investigating.

· Registered
509 Posts
Hey Gents

No matter what we do THEY will always find a way ....... if they want it !

We just have to look out for each other and when we see one of those SOB'S, if we ever do, well ..................................... do what you feel is right :pissed:

Be carefull and good luck eh !

Cape R
PS ; I have used a cable and have been very very very lucky ;D

· Premium Member
2,719 Posts
TheBigGuy said:
Hi scoopy, glad to se you online.

Chain and a regular lock won't do much to discourage thieves. Large boltcutters will slice through most silently in seconds.

I did have a thought the other day, regarding securing outboards. Check in an automotive store for locking nuts for securing mags, you know the ones that come with a special key to secure your tires onto your vehicle. If you can find the same size stainless or galvanized bolt to match the thread size of the lock nuts you're in business. Way more effort to try and remove four of those locknuts. No idea how well it might work, but it might be worth investigating.
Those are really easy to get off....especially on an outboard(access) . Not a good solution IMO

· Registered
461 Posts
you're probably right that they are easy to get off, but compared to just regular nuts they are more difficult. Most of the time thieves are lazy, every bit of security helps. The more effort it takes, chances are they will hit an easier target. You can never make anything theftproof, but as long as it's more secure than the one next door you're probably the less likely target.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
What's the old saying? "Locks keep out honest people" There is no anti-theft devise to stop a determined thief, merely one's to discourage him. Remember 90% of thieves are looking for a quick and easy score. Hard work usually means they will move on to the next, easier mark.

G

·
Heat hardened chain (trucker chain) is the safest if bringing in indoors isn't an option. On the float trailer we have added security of them not being able to steal the whole boat by lowering the whole rig to the ground and taking winch handles inside, its tough to steal a boat when the axles tuck up into the hull.

· Registered
109 Posts
J-Global:

Take the cover off the kicker and replace with a large Hefty bag to protect the engine from the weather. Reason: every marine dealer in the Lower Mainland, if there’s a request for an engine cover, will say, “Hey, we may have one in the back. Bring it down and we’ll see if it fits.” Then, if the person does bring down the engine, the dealer checks the serial number against the stolen engine registry or from RCMP stolen items listings.

We do this with all kicker motors in our yard at Brigantine Marine that we can’t overnight store in our building. We haven’t had a kicker theft in the five years we’ve been in business.

Some of the locking systems work and that’s because they take time to defeat and that’s what you want. If you want to go whole hog with the transom bracket and make it more secure, have your service reseat it with Sicoflex adhesive. Once that hardens it’s almost like concrete and darn hard to separate from the hull.

MichaelR

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right now I have an up/down kicker bracket, so there are 4 places to remove part or all of the bracket with the motor attached. I have the motor attached to the bracket with a Yamalock, which saved it the first time. I've added a locking bolt. But only further secures it to the bracket.
Thats $160 so far in extra locks.

I'm looking at switching to a fixed bracket, but that'll probably wait until next season.

Storing inside, well, I had my other Yamaha (2.5) stored in my locked storage locker, in our locked underground parking, and that was stolen last year! I got a call from the police about a month later, it had been recovered an I got it back. I was Shocked (to get it back).

I'm going away for a bit so I've taken it off the boat, its RC type so its a bit more work to get it on/off. So its in the Storage for a bit and we'll see how that goes when I get back.

So far:
Yamalock for the bracket: $110
Locking bolt $45
Locking pin for the trailer hitch $15
Coupler lock for the Trailer $45
I've been eying the prop lock, wheel immobilizer, etc. etc.

Throw in seperate locks for the hatches, and door, main engine, kicker, I'm going to recommend that any theif aprehended I get to beat with my Keychain.

· Registered
461 Posts
MichaelR said:
J-Global:

Take the cover off the kicker and replace with a large Hefty bag to protect the engine from the weather. Reason: every marine dealer in the Lower Mainland, if there’s a request for an engine cover, will say, “Hey, we may have one in the back. Bring it down and we’ll see if it fits.” Then, if the person does bring down the engine, the dealer checks the serial number against the stolen engine registry or from RCMP stolen items listings.

We do this with all kicker motors in our yard at Brigantine Marine that we can’t overnight store in our building. We haven’t had a kicker theft in the five years we’ve been in business.

Some of the locking systems work and that’s because they take time to defeat and that’s what you want. If you want to go whole hog with the transom bracket and make it more secure, have your service reseat it with Sicoflex adhesive. Once that hardens it’s almost like concrete and darn hard to separate from the hull.

MichaelR
Great in theory, removing the cover, but thieves being cheap will probably just lift a cowling from a similar motor. I also think most thieves will avoid bringing a stolen motor to a service centre. Can't hurt though, I guess.

· Registered
109 Posts
<<Great in theory, removing the cover, but thieves being cheap will probably just lift a cowling from a similar motor. I also think most thieves will avoid bringing a stolen motor to a service centre. Can't hurt though, I guess.

The Big Guy>>

Removing the cowling means the thieves can’t sell it and if they can’t sell it they won’t take it. Could they steal another cowling? Doubtful because if they could take the cowling they’d take the whole motor.

Point is engine thieves don’t want to deal with marine engine sales companies to get a replacement cowling. We have the stolen engine numbers on file (or can get them from another dealer) and we also have access to RCMP stolen items registry. What the thieves want is a quick sale and if the cowling’s missing they won’t get that: missing cowling screams ‘stolen engine’.

This thread is about stolen kickers but I’d suggest the same for all motors no matter the size. Take the cover off and store it somewhere safe at home. Sure, it’s an extra chore yet it means your engine won’t be taken.

MichaelR, Brigantine Marine Group

· Registered
461 Posts
Hi, Michael.

I'm not saying removing the cowling is pointless. I'm just not sure, it's worth it. Unless the motor and boat is stored under cover I wouldn't want to leave it outside exposed to the elements with just a flimsy plastic bag for protection. Stealing a cowling off another motor takes seconds, so thats why I don't see it as great deterent.

Like most theft deterents, the more reasons not to make yours a target is a good thing. So, use as many methods to protect the motor as you are comfortable with. It's just that after a certain point it becomes a chore to deal with at 5 in the morning to go fishing.

What ever is working for you is all good.

· Registered
109 Posts
You’re right, TBG, it isn’t infallible yet, if it causes a thief to reconsider, it may be worth doing it. What we should do is put a release on the Sun or Province saying we in the industry know being asked for a cowling makes our ears perk up.

Some of the plastic bags aren’t that flimsy especially those large orange garden bags. My thought is any engine covered with that says the engine would be hard to sell so don’t even think about it.

As you say, whatever works works. Personally I like the 9mm Sig Sauer P226 on semi-auto.

Best,

MichaelR

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.