BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in trying to find out if anyone can recommend any affordable !?? self guided fishing lodges or a place that you can rent a boat to fish around Vancouver Island. I like boat Charters, but they often don't take single fisherman and sometimes I wish I had more time on the water. I have only been able to locate one boat (fishing) rental on the internet. Must be a dying industry?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
tfish...

When we go to Kyuquot we are self guided (or I play guide), but it is a private lodge that is sort of a timeshare.

I have buddies who go up to Queen Charlotte Lodge and they are self guided when up there.

Where ya looking to go? I have looked at pricing on various lodges around BC and I do recall seeing guided vs self guided rates here and there.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
A lot of places and areas ( like the WCVI ) can't get liability insurance for self guided boats. Both the Weigh West and Island West, in Ukee used to rent boats and it ended with tragic results. This is why it's guided only or bring your own boat

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
A lot of places and areas ( like the WCVI ) can't get liability insurance for self guided boats. Both the Weigh West and Island West, in Ukee used to rent boats and it ended with tragic results. This is why it's guided only or bring your own boat
Yikes.....tragic is not good.

Interesting though......do you know why the insurance may differ between WCVI and the Charlottes??

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Yup. 2 different incidents resulting in deaths put an end to that. Those lodges in the Charlottes must pay a huge premium to offer those self guided boats, IMO

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know that Pedder Bay in Victoria rents boats. It's run by Oak Bay Marine Group. You can also rent boats at Critter Cove in Nootka Sound, but I think they'll be closing soon so it might be too late for that. Both those places also rent out fishing tackle, rods, etc.

·
Registered
572 Posts
You should check out prices with three or four guys and accomodations with some independent operators. Guided boat with all the gear and good accomodations to boot. There is no helicopter ride, but if you knew a lot about them you wouldn't fly on them anyway.

Bret

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check out Seabeam in Bamfield.They have a few rental boats but I do believe they are restricted to in side waters. However I do see them off shore at times.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for your input. I guess the times are changing with new rule, regulations and insurance issues.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I went with my Dad to Weigh West about 3 years ago and had some amazing self guided (sort of) Coho fly fishing. The guests get a center console boat and a guide follows along in his own boat making sure everyone is safe and into fish. It was great and we had a blast - a 9 pound chromer on the first cast of the trip. From their web site www.weighwest.com/activities.html: "Weigh West provides the perfect fishing machine for the fly or light tackle enthusiast, with our fleet of specially designed boats - 17 feet long, a wide beam for great stability, these boats are designed for two anglers. Each boat is equipped with a quiet and reliable 60 HP four stroke outboard otor, a GPS navigational system, VHF radio, an all safety gear. Bring you own tackle and join the fun! We suggest a 7 to 9 weight fly rod or light spinning combination. To cover a variety of fishing situations we recommend fly lines ranging from 200 to 350 grains or monofilament 10 to 20lbs. A diversity of baitfish are found i Clayoquot Sound; needlefish, herring pilchard and anchovies; your fly / tackle box should contain an assortment of these imitations or lures. Our “on the water” fishmaster i available to offer advice and assistance to you. Contact our Marine Office and book your trip today! 1-800-665-8922!"

We took the full meal deal with 3 days fishing, 4 nights motel room, 3 meals in the bar or restaurant and bag lunch and it was really affordable. I think you can just do the fishing if you have an rv or camper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts