BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is up in Mckenzie, he heard on the radio the Fraser River sockeye fishing will remain open till September 26th. Has anybody heard anything as I have found nothing.
Would be pleased if we have fish for awhile.:)

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I certainly hope not. Everyone's freezer is full and there have been plenty of commercial and FN openings to keep everyone happy. We need to let the endangered coho and steelhead get through to their natal streams.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I certainly hope not. Everyone's freezer is full and there have been plenty of commercial and FN openings to keep everyone happy. We need to let the endangered coho and steelhead get through to their natal streams.
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!!! I just got out for my first crack at them last night and got skunked!!! :p

Maybe I can apply for an exemption if they do shut it down. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I wish my freezer was full and had more time to be out on the water. With the weather starting to turn I'd like a few more trips!

·
Registered
415 Posts
A friend of mine is up in Mckenzie, he heard on the radio the Fraser River sockeye fishing will remain open till September 26th. Has anybody heard anything as I have found nothing.
Would be pleased if we have fish for awhile.:)
I doubt its true. DFO doesn't announce anything that far in advance, especially for commercial, and I doubt they are even thinking that far ahead. Having said that, the Salmon Commission just raised the run size estimate today from 30 million to 34 million, so you never know.

·
Registered
85 Posts
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!!! I just got out for my first crack at them last night and got skunked!!! :p

Maybe I can apply for an exemption if they do shut it down. ;)
I am with Pippen on this one, I have not even made it out yet, I will have to file for an exemption!

Don't think I am much of a threat to the local stocks - if I catch a sockeye, it will be a first for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Enn and Pip
What have you guys been doing? Must be very important to be missing the best Sockeye fishing or our generation!!!! FYI there was a Huge school of them out from South Arm on Monday, don't know if they will still be around after this rain though!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Enn and Pip
What have you guys been doing? Must be very important to be missing the best Sockeye fishing or our generation!!!! FYI there was a Huge school of them out from South Arm on Monday, don't know if they will still be around after this rain though!
I was thinking of going out tomorrow... What would the rain do to these fish?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Your buddy in Mackenzie, probably heard about the sockeye opening on the Nechako, here in PG. Its open from Sept. 1st to 26th

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I was thinking of going out tomorrow... What would the rain do to these fish?
Give them wet heads. :p :p

When the river levels start to rise after precipitation....the fish may tend to move into the rivers with more water there. For example...at the Cap.....in dry summers like we have had this year with zippo for rain; the coho will stack out there forever waiting for levels to rise.

Not sure what it will do for the sox.....but sooner or later they gotta make a move. Don't expect it to go dead quiet though....that only happens when Morganic and I get out on the water for a quick 2 hour stint. :thumbup:

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
The rain will not affect the flossfest in the Fraser. Why would it? Assuming you are referring to the Fraser freshwater portion. I have no problem keeping the salt portion of this fishery open just close the freshwater portion soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did I luck out.... I chose the entire month of August off this year which I dont usually do. After taking wife to NYC for her 50th, I have spent the last 3 weeks fishing, fishing , fishing both river and ocean. I originally was going to go to Bamfield, but then realized why?, when there is such good fishing here . I feel er... very "content" and thats a good feeling with the imminent closure looming at some point. It was a good summer..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Enn and Pip
I just spent too much time on the WCVI - I'm not complaining! :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds like your life is as good as mine lately. May and June were horrible, didn't even put the boat in the water. All of July on Holidays in Italy! First trip out with the wife and kids bagged 12 Socks's could have bagged 4 more if the wife had picked up her license like i asked her too! Everytime out since its been a festival of FUN!!!! Definitely a Summer to remember!!!! Hope everything keeps going along "Swimmingly"

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have fished for many, many years and I for one have never flossed a coho or steelhead let alone an endangered one while targeting sockeye. And I would certainly know the difference in them if I did.

My freezer sure isn't full yet and I live in Abbotsford ...... not the Central Okanagon. I have what's called ......... a JOB ............ so my time is somewhat limited. One would think that if their freezer was full other "sports fishermen" would perhaps focus on other types of fishing then.

So just what is the purpose of closing recreational fishing? Because the blood thirsty savages have pillaged and raped enough so now let's close it playng the "let's protect the fish" song?? If the fish are there and all other DFO concerns are satisfied then why close it??

Last time I checked these coho and steelhead don't just magically appear. Your rational that only the freshwater portion of the river be closed is therefore flawed. Aren't they migratory ............ don't they come from the ocean? Is it okay that they be caught in the nets and by other methods in the salt portion ............. but not in the fresh water section of the river?? Pretty hard to conserve something that can't make it that far to begin with ........ isn't it??

Granted the nets may need to be controlled so that those coho or steelhead stocks are not affected when that time comes ....... but really ......... how many are further endangered by sporties flossing sockeye?

GOFISH

·
Registered
33 Posts
Was outat sandheads early on sunday. It sure paid off. 6 sox and a spring to limit out by 11am. Stuck around to release a few more and headed in when those winds picked up. As a relative rookie to the sport it was by far my best day on the water. Hoping to get out again tomorrow. Hopefully more of the same.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The rain will not affect the flossfest in the Fraser. Why would it? Assuming you are referring to the Fraser freshwater portion. I have no problem keeping the salt portion of this fishery open just close the freshwater portion soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
odds are the salt will shut down long before the freshwater part does. DFO is worried about the sport catch of Cultus lake sockeye that are not flossed in the freshwater part of the Fraser and the sport catch of Thompson coho that DFO studies show are not caught in the floss fishery either but both are caught in the saltwater portion. It most likely will close down Sept.19. Depends on what happens in the twice a week meetings that are going on every week concerning this part of the fishery. Meeting later today and let's see what the announcement is and get rid of the guessing on what will happen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"Was outat sandheads early on sunday. It sure paid off. 6 sox and a spring to limit out by 11am. Stuck around to release a few more and headed in when those winds picked up. As a relative rookie to the sport it was by far my best day on the water. Hoping to get out again tomorrow. Hopefully more of the same."

Worm
I'm curious how could you limit out with six sox if the limit is 4?

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I have fished for many, many years and I for one have never flossed a coho or steelhead let alone an endangered one while targeting sockeye. And I would certainly know the difference in them if I did.
I don't doubt for a minute that you would. Given that most people participating in the floss fest are no where near as knowledgable or experienced as you, does not help alleviate my worst fears.

Is it okay that they be caught in the nets and by other methods in the salt portion ............. but not in the fresh water section of the river??
No it is not okay, in my opinion, that wild Thompson coho or steelhead be caught by nets in either salt or fresh water. But that's pie in the sky not reality I am aware. There is by-catch. But if you're asking me if I think it's ok, then no, I don't think it's OK.

As for the freshwater sockeye fishery, it should be closed as soon as wild coho or steelhead start showing because the chances of safely released by-catch diminish due to the pure numbers of anglers out there, many not as experienced as you.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
"Was outat sandheads early on sunday. It sure paid off. 6 sox and a spring to limit out by 11am. Stuck around to release a few more and headed in when those winds picked up. As a relative rookie to the sport it was by far my best day on the water. Hoping to get out again tomorrow. Hopefully more of the same."

Worm
I'm curious how could you limit out with six sox if the limit is 4?
It would be 3 with the spring in there.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts