BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried this river?
Any advice?
I know there is hatchery on it and it has Coho.
Anything anyone??????

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Hey!!! The good old serpentine...this is the river where I caught my first ever salmon...My dad took me out there when I was jeez, probably 5-6 yrs old, and we were casting spoons in the lower reaches maybe a mile from the ocean...Well I saw this silvery salmon jumping repetitively as it moved upstream and I just cast that spoon out ahead of that little guy and wham!!!! I had tied into my first ever salmon...I can still remember how quickly my dad ran over when he saw I had hooked one...good times! Ummmm, I don't fish that river really mcallagan, but from what I do know of it by experience, is it can fish well early in the season in the lower stretches....it is a smaller system, with not a lot of flow, so I think spoons or spinners would work best. Not sure it fishes very well late in the season though...like I said it's pretty small and the further upriver you go, the less deeper pools you find...later in the season in that river I would imagine fish would start to accumulate up top, but often these fish are pretty colored by then, or on their redds already, or in like a foot of water and very spooky.
That's all I can add...hope that helps,
Rib

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I am sure it isn't the best river to "advertise", birdman...there are many other rivers that are far more productive and less sensitive...however, not giving people the information needed to realize that fact for themselves, might just lead them to rush out there thinking it's some secret...perhaps you might contribute the reasons why it is so sensitive, and for that matter why it is not very conducive to producing fish...in doing so, you might find people will stay away from little streams like these and make sound decisions on their own. If you hadn't noticed Mcallagan lives in Surrey, so likely he will go check it out anyways. Also, fisheries recognizes the serpentine as having a "strong community interest in rehabilitation"...perhaps in knowing something about the stream in his community, he might contribute to that rehabilitation himself?
I respect your desire to protect our rivers and streams Birdman, that's very admirable, but often educating people as to the issues at stake will have them showing far more respect than if you leave them in the dark...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Keep in mind as well birdman that the serp,nic,little campbell rivers are hatchery streams that produce almost every salmon there is to catch! As well as trout and steelhead! And you are alowed to keep hatchery coho (just one) but none the less don't you think if these streams were that fragile the fisheries would not allow anyone to keep fish from the streams mentioned? I fish these systems frequently with great success! and lets just say theres not alot of fish in them but, there is alot more now than when i fished it 20 years ago! so is it really that fragile? Your right on they cannot sustain a lot of fishing pressure, but i mean the most people i've seen on any given time on the nic was maybe 10 people streached out over 2-3 km. I think anyone local that lives close to the serp,nic,little campbell should fish them, there great streams and lets just say they have always been good to me!

C.K.

·
Registered
138 Posts
thankyou, this is what I'm talking about. By providing the right kind of info while informing someone of the sensitiviy of the system is the right thing to do. Thank for being straightforeward (not that you guys haven't in the first place).

Cheers,
Wookie

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah the little campbell is a very fun system i fish it quite a bit when the fish are in. I had some days were i got into alot of rainbows. Last year was a awesome year for coho, the run was around or over 3,500 fish. And the Nicomekl is very fun the day i went there me and mom and dad caught rainbows all day and I caught my first coho. The funnest thought i find is the Little Campbell because i just put the chair down there close to the mouth and sit there and fish. Tight Lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts