BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I'll go down and cast spoons for coho down in the lower vedder.
Last year I just took my cheapo trout rod and real and got into quite a few nice fish.
Landed all my fish but it did feel a bit too light and was wondering what you guys would recommend for a setup.

Maybe a smaller levelwind perhaps?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Nothing wrong with using a spinning setup, I do all the time for spoons and spinners. Upgrade to an 8 - 10' spinning rod such as Shimano, Fenwick or Trophy. Match it up with an appropriate size reel with a good drag, I use a Shimano Sustain 4000 (expensive) but a Shimano Symetre 4000 is a good reel to start with, I used one for years till I upgraded. Spool it with whatever mono line you prefer but watch for line twist or use Power Pro 30 lb. braid with a swivel and then 3 -4' of mono leader. If you want to go levelwind, 8 -10 1/2' rod, Shimano or Abu Garcia reel such as a Curado or Revo, line again is your choice but stick to mono. Here's a tip when using spoons, do not attach any weight to your line as it will decrease the action of the spoon, use a spoon in the 2/5 - 1/2 oz. range and you'll have no problem casting.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks as well!

I was just looking at what reel to put on the rod I dragged out of the Fraser a few weeks ago. Hooked something I thought was a stick and out came a rod with a reel ! Will take a look at the reels you mentioned.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Funny thing, life...

One of the worst things?

A Pessimistic Room Monitor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a decent spinning set up that I take in the boat if I might cast spoons. Tougher to learn to cast a levelwind with lighter set ups that you might have to cast a long distance. Heavier spoons are ok with a levelwind but lighter spinner (which seem effective is the lower vedder) are tough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts