BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have since put my name in to help voulinteer at the seymour fish hatchery! Duties would include removal of edds and milk from salmon,feeding smolts, river clean up ect..... Has anyone else ever done this kind of work befor? This will be my first time ever to help a river system with these kinds of duties! I'm looking forward to it! :thumbup:

CK

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Great group of guys up there CK, good on you for giving back. I have worked with the Seymour Salmonid Society for years and would reccomend it to anyone.

I fish brood for them as well and that is good times. It is a nice system with alot of little hidden secrets.

Welcome to the fisheries stewardship community we are glad to have you!

I am sure we will meet up that way sometime.

Another great local group to get involved with is Langley Environmental Partners Society (LEPS). They do a lot of different watershed stewardship related projects in the Langley area. www.leps.bc.ca

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pat AV i'll look into that one too seeingi'm in langley! Thanks bud! :thumbup: It seems i have alot of time on my hands these days! Might as well make good use out of it right?

CK

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hey goinfishin

To get in touch with the seymour Salmonid Society folow this link www.seymoursalmon.com

Matt is the Volunteer Coordinator and is a great guy!

To get in touch with LEPS follow this link www.leps.bc.ca

Nichole is the volunteer coordinator and she has been a good friend of mine for many years.

Both groups need help on a weekly basis so get in touch and you will be giving back to our fishy friends in no time! I can personally reccomend giving your time te either of these fine groups.

Pat

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
goinfishin said:
This sounds interesting. Any idea when they would need the volunteers and how to sign up?
As in the seymour hatchery? I can find the link and post it later f you wish?

CK

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
coho_killer said:
I have since put my name in to help volunteer at the seymour fish hatchery! Duties would include removal of edds and milk from salmon,feeding smolts, river clean up ect..... Has anyone else ever done this kind of work befor? This will be my first time ever to help a river system with these kinds of duties! I'm looking forward to it!
Hi CK, I worked up there as the weekend hatchery worker in 1985 and 86 while attending BCIT FWR. Dave Bates was the manager way back then and we used to do 500,000 coho to fry (I think it 500,000), great fun to do egg takes and pool seining. Some really nice coho back then.. We also used to to rear 60,000 Steelhead smolts a year. I remember coming in to work on one Saturday and finding one of the up pipes in one of the Cap troughs left out from the cleaning of the previous Friday (by the manager) we lost over 15,000 smolts to de-oxygenated water as a result. Too bad really, at that point, Dave was really trying to turn the Seymour in to the premier urban river for steelhead and he was well on his way. The program never recovered once MOE decided that hatchery steelhead were bad. Now look where we are. Are therre even any steelhead left in the Seymour? :-[

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pat AV said:
Hey goinfishin

To get in touch with the seymour Salmonid Society folow this link www.seymoursalmon.com

Matt is the Volunteer Coordinator and is a great guy!

To get in touch with LEPS follow this link www.leps.bc.ca

Nichole is the volunteer coordinator and she has been a good friend of mine for many years.

Both groups need help on a weekly basis so get in touch and you will be giving back to our fishy friends in no time! I can personally reccomend giving your time te either of these fine groups.

Pat
Thank you Pat! ;D I'm going to look into this. Sounds like a great way to learn.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
It is a great way to learn goinfishin and if you meet any of the brood stock anglers make sure to pick their brains there are some great rods working with the boys at the hatchery (myself excluded I lucked into being on the "broodstock list")

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hey Finadict,

Good to hear there are other FWR alum on the site. There are still a few steelies in there around 60-100 summers and 100-200 winters.

There is a conservative steelhead enhancement project still happening on the system.

Cap_Slayer said:
Just watch out for gum chewing Kenny, not sure if he is still a broodstock anymore!
Cap Slayer,

Never met gum chewin Kenny up there so maybe he isn't still a broodstock anymore and you are right the water up there can be a bit chilly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.