BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got back from the Sheridan Lake fishout last night. Left early...and that should give some indication on how fishing was. Regardless, it was very nice to see some old friends again, and to be able to put faces to names and meet new friends.

I was quite excited Friday morning as driving up to the Cariboo was quite pleasant with wonderful weather and absolutely no traffic. When my diesel Land Cruiser pulling a boat can make it to Sheridan in around 5 hours, even with a pit stop to disassemble one of my trailer's hubs that was getting too hot...that's pretty much a record!

Weather was gorgeous and warm on Friday as I launched the boat and headed out fishing at around 10:30 in the morning. Hit the island in front of Sheridan Lake Resort for a couple of hours and didn't get any hits. Explored the northern shore for the next couple of hours and found some really interesting structure, but again, no hits.

Lots of cinnamon caddis and mayflies hatching, and a few large traveller sedges mixed in. Even though I was covered in insects, there was not much activity to be found. My sounder was marking fish around the 30-40' range...nothing much going on in the shoals. I did spook a fish that looked HUGE by the shadow it cast...but couldn't get it to take my fly.

Pulled in to shore in the afternoon to catch up with the members who were attending. Had a quick dinner and headed out for the evening bite. Managed to catch and land a nice 20" rainbow soon after I anchored off the island...but that was it until sunset! There was a nice caddis hatch in the evening and I got a couple of hits on the dry fly...but then it was over in about 20 minutes.

Saturday brought a change in weather with some dark clouds rolling in occasionally bringing some light rain. Fishing continued to be really slow, and I didn't even touch a thing all morning. Fished the afternoon with Rick, and I think between the two of us we managed to miss a couple of takes on the chironamid, at which point I decided to pull out and have a real meal in Interlakes. The evening didn't bring much success either, and the caddis hatch was even weaker than the day before...with surface activity lasting only 15 minutes. It was at that point that I decided to leave early and go home to spend some vacation time with my family instead of another day at Sheridan.

Lots of the guys from our group had been fishing Lac Des Roches instead with good success on strong Mayfly hatches. Sheridan had apparently been fishing very poorly for more than a week, with limited success using deep trolling gear. There were some impressive fish weighed in during the two days I was there, one being 11.5 lbs! But again, those were uncommon, even for the gear guys.

This was my first time staying in Sheridan Lake Resort, and the following are my impressions...

What I was impressed with:
1) The cabin I was staying in was exceptionally clean, had a nice layout, and all for $89/night.
2) The resort's facilities were fantastic for both campers and cabin renters. The group washroom and shower facilities were clean, and there were a couple of beach areas for families to enjoy. Also lots of room for mooring boats.
3) Most of the other guests were friendly.

What I was NOT impressed with:
1) No detailed explanation was given on how mooring boats in the docks worked, especially considering I was a first time guest. Not only that, but when I made the honest mistake of docking in someone else's spot, I was blamed for it by a resort staff even though I made it clear no explanation was given to me at check-in.
2) The resort staff dealing with me at the time allowed the other guest whose docking spot I had mistakenly taken to continually verbally harass me while we were sorting out the docking issue. It took a lot of self control to keep myself from getting really angry.
3) The resort was really crowded, and supposedly it had already quieter from the week before.

Well, that's about it. If we are to go to Sheridan next year, it will have to be in June.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Nice write up Stone....I had a great time at the event. I would like to thank ALL the participants for making my son and his girlfriend feel so welcome. They really wanted to catch a fish, but it was not to be..They had a really good time. Even though the fishing was pretty poor, I managed a small 12-14" fish on Thursday night, and brought three to the boat and lost a bigger one at Lac Des Roches with the other guys.
Was planning on hooking up with Ribby and his Dad on the Sunday afternoon, but could not find them so did a little exploring and stayed over at Eagle Island resort at the eastern end of the lake on Sunday night...Very nice spot...... swimming,beach, cabins, docks,and owners that were friendly and helpful. Departed on Monday am via Little Fort and Hwy 5 to Kamloops.
If I were to head into that area again, it is quite a bit faster to do the 2 connectors to Kamloops and head north to Hwy 24 and then west into the Interlakes area...........Very fun time and thanks to everyone who made the week so enjoyable.........Ortho
S

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Just so you know it didn't get any better on Sunday Stone. My son and I started at 6:00 AM came in at noon. Not a touch. During the weekend I tried everything. Managed to get one nice laker on Friday night right at dusk but that was it. Missed one on Saturday night same time.

It was so slow that we spent the rest of the day floating on the water in a nice warm long 20 foot deep boatless channel. Water temp was over 65 degrees there.

RCMP came and checked things out as we were enjoying the water. As they approached my son heard the male officer remark to the young female officer that "You can always find something wrong with the boats out here to give out tickets". Lets see ........ boaters licence, fire extinguisher, life jackets for all ++, safety gear ......... after going through everything he stated that he was impressed. I actually had everything I should have and more!! He told us it was very uncommon up there with most boats.

Went out for supper to the restaurant at the entrance to the campsite ........... Sunday night was Chinese Food Special .......... all hand made and to die for. Best spread I've had in years. Eveything she made was all done from scratch .......... if you didn't eat there ......... it was fantastic and you really should try it!!

Packed the boat up Sunday night after supper .......... good thing we did as it rained a lot Monday AM. It was a nice drive home ........ came up via the canyon so we went home through Kamloops just for a change in scenery. Stopped in Kamloops for a while.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, Stu...I would have never expected the RCMP to be checking boats. I've bought a safety kit and I have a lifejacket and boater's license, so I think I would have been okay...I've never been checked before. Good for you for showing them up. :)

I'll definitely fish there in June next year. Talking with a couple of guys at the launch as I was pulling out has made me come to the conclusion that we got up there too late, and that July is touch and go. We're headed up to Lac Des Roches resort next month for our anniversary trip...might have to stay there and fish SHeridan next year...lol.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yes, Sheridan Lake in June would probably be better but I'll have to see how that goes over work wise. One thing for sure ........ there are some nice big fish in there.

Next time if it's dead I probably wouldn't hesitate to go try another lake. Heard that Deka and Bridge Lakes were hot ........ maybe should have tried one of those. (??)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Thanks for the reports guys! Boy - I'm going through a bit of a withdrawal. I haven't been out since the beginning of June! Sounds like it was challenging fishing - but it's always fun to try and figure it out. Stone - sorry to hear you had a tough time at the dock. Good on ya for keeping your cool. Hey Gofish - nice job on the boating inspection...

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you can,try in May !
Begining, middle or on long weekend. It's even better at that time.
Then try a day or two at Deka for Kokannee.
But the begining of may is best at Sheridan so I'm told from the locals !
It's just a little cooler !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts