BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
My brother from the east coast sent me a Shimano bantam curado cu-200 baitcaster that he isn't using. i went on the website and it says line capacity 10 lbs - 155 yds. i was wondering if this is ample for steelhead? Is 10 lb enough or should i put 12 lb test on it, or is the reel not made for steelhead?I have an Abu 6500 that works great. maybe you guys that own one can let me know. Appreciate your input. ???

·
Registered
886 Posts
Personally I would go with 12lb Maxima ultra green. You will get about 140 yards on that reel give or take a couple yards. As for the reel being on the small side. Some people may think so but I think you will be alright. Hey give it a shot, the price was right and also that is a good reel...

:cheers: sage

·
Registered
279 Posts
That reel will hold plenty of line for steelhead fishing. When was the last time anyone had a steelhead peel off more than 100 yds of 10 or 12 lb test. ::) If a steel peels of that much line before you can start chasing it, you're doing something wrong. :confused: Also if a fish is that far away and you can't chase it, the odds of landing that fish are very slim. :p That reel is perfect for the Vedder. Well not perfect, a center pin would be perfect... ;) But It's alot better than a big clunky calcutta. :thumbup:

My :2cents:, Nates

·
Registered
84 Posts
I do think the Curado D 200 is good to fish the vedder. Like nates said, it is not chunky like a calcutta, and it has better gearing system than a regular calcutta. Trust me, the HEG on the curado is awesome. Look at how offset the handle is relative to the spool, then you can imagine how enlarge the gears are inside. If you are handy, you should open it up and see for yourself. Casting is great as well. And 12 lbs drag should not give you any problem.

It is a great reel for both steelhead and coho...

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
by what you guys have said this sounds like the perfect smaller sized reel for ALL smaller systems. I would use this everywhere BUT the fraser. I use a pin personally and pull out my Abu6500C3(s) for BBing for sockeye which is the only time i use them :-\ almost seems pointless to have them doesnt it? :happy: I also have a shimano Catala that the g/f uses because i havent gotten her on the pin yet LOL

my dad uses a smaller sized ABU5000 in the Vedder and everywhere but the fraser and he has NEVER been spooled yet. he has 15lb on his reel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.