BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Uncle passed down to me a vast array of fly and baitcasting gear that I am presently going through to sort out what I think I can use...

I happened across a Shimano Bantam Magnumlite BSM-2200W reel. Not a lot on the net about it...from what I can tell it seems to be around 20 years old, but like many things my Uncle owned just 'cuz it old doesn't mean it saw much use! It looks and feels in mint shape and I think I might take it out for a whirl.

Anyone have any idea of the spool capacity for various line test strengths? Any other experience and/or commentary??

Here are a few pics pirated from ebay of a similar model:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
37 Posts
They are mainly for Bass or other lake fish. I have had one for many years, from my Bass fishing days in Africa. You can spool 200 yards 12 lb mono or 160 15 to 17 lb mono. A bit light for Salmon, but a good solid reel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually happened across the original manual last night when I was rifling through some of the other tackle boxes! Took 'er apart, cleaned 'er all up...now I am gonna spool her up and take her out for a spin just for shizz-n-giggles....

·
Registered
886 Posts
If this is the reel that I think it is. I think you can change this reel into direct drive mode by simply flipping a button on the side of the reel to disengage the drag. Forcing you too only use thumb pressure on the spool :thumbup: . I'm not 100% sure though... That is plenty of reel for are local flows, IE Chehalis and Chilliwack rivers to name a couple. :cheers: and good fishing... sage

·
Registered
90 Posts
That was the first Baitcaster that I bought. That was about 18 years ago. I bought it after trying it out on the Stamp on a guided trip. I have long since retired it but t could handle the springs on the stamp with no problem. You know its a decent reel when the top guide on the stamp was using it. That reel was great for beginners that had trouble learning how to use a baitcaster as it was much more forgiving than an abu.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.