BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought my second baitcaster (Shimano Citica 201E) [third if you count my Walmart sturgeon reel] reel this afternoon and I notice that in the free spool, the line guide does not move back and forth with the line. I did a couple of research through google and found the term "non-disengaging levelwind". I find it weird that the levelwind remains motionless on the cast. Although I haven't tested casting it out yet.

My first bait caster is an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6601C4 and it does not have this "problem".

Is this normal for this kind of reel? I'm new to this casting reel domain and would like to have any info if I should bring it back or not.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think you mean it is a non-disengaging levelwind if it DOES move when in free spool.

If the spool is narrow enough it is actually better to have a disengaging levelwind from what i read. The levelwind is parasitic and is driven off the spinning spool, therefore casting light weights won't go as far when the levelwind doesn't disengage. When one is casting large chunks of lead out, this factor is negated though.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tested it out this morning and it just frustrated me. It does not work with my fishing style of only using a light spoon out in the lake. I tried calibrating it for 2 hours then I finally gave up and returned it. Went to a fishing shop and got my self an Abu Garcia Cardinal instead. I know spin reels wont let me down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts