BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone tried those new wax wings for salmon. I saw them on TV and ordered 7 of them to try this season. The action of the lures look awesome and I am hoping they prove to be an effective part of my assault on the big springs this year.

Cheers8)

·
Registered
39 Posts
From the Shimano web site:

This extremely versatile lure can be used in an amazing amount of fishing situations and its unique action and technical design set it apart from anything in the fishing world today. The waxwing has a zig zag, side to side action, while the bottom wing adds stability to the lure, the top wing catches different shapes in the water creating an irregular kick, giving the lure its unique action!

The aerodynamic design and weight placement give the waxwing amazing castability, even in adverse conditions, and its wire through construction and super strong upturned hooks will keep you connected to even the toothiest critters.

A slow to medium paced retrieve with the rod tip down is all that is required to give this lure its optimum action and get you the best results. There are 5 sizes 48mm "Micro" 58mm "Mini" 68mm “Baby”, 88mm “Boy”, and the 118mm “JNR” in a well finished range of 9 colours.
The Waxwing lure system, is the most innovative, interesting and universal lures system this country has EVER seen!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Man, actually watching the youtube video on the shimano website makes me want to also buy a few and try it out for salmon fishing in the chuck. One good thing about this lure is that it supposedly never repeats the same action over and over. This makes it look more realistic. It's meant for subspecies fish.

Ddog, what's the cost of those waxwings?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lures have enough weight to cast them a long way, but should be able to put them on the down riggers too. They are pretty pricey. I paid $22 each for the largest size (6.6") and $17 for the next size down.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The lures have enough weight to cast them a long way, but should be able to put them on the down riggers too. They are pretty pricey. I paid $22 each for the largest size (6.6") and $17 for the next size down.
These look very cool but $22 is extremely pricey.
Almost double the price of a Tomic plug.
Not saying I wont buy a couple though.
Always looking for an edge over my arch rival.
May work for Albacore as well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I own several of these, I got them for casting on my Mexico trip. The lures action you see on the videos is legit..... it really is amazing to watch these things "swim". That said, if you really want to use them for salmon, do yourself a favor and buy/order on the smaller side. They are surprisingly large. Great for Mexico but overkill for salmon. I've been dying to try these on a down rigger but as I'm at the mercy of my father in law, well, It's been a "dry" year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hmm....that's an excellent idea! Troll them like a Tomic. I'm sure they would do well for cohos near the surface. Just have to change the hook

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Interesting...

May have to grab a couple and see just how well they work trolling for springs myself.
If they ever make the larger couple of sizes in Green/Glow, methinks that would also be a hell of a Search Pattern for trolling up the Flat Ones! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I usually use 7" Tomics when trolling plugs for springs, at times trying to reduce the number of Cohos biting (sounds stupid, but you guys know how crazy the coho can get at times). I ordered mostly the largest ones they make (Daddy 6.6", 4 oz) but did get a couple 5.4' too. I don't think the 6.6 will be too big, but we'll see. I got them in blue sardine, mackerel, green shad, squid and bone. They should work for halis too if you get the balls to the floor. Can't wait to try them out!!

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
The Waxwings look great.

I also tried to 'dissuade" coho with a 6" Tomic Tubby or 7" standard, and they'll still hit the darn things.

So I went even bigger...with 7"-, 8" --and 9" Storm Plugs--(a division of Rapala)
These take large lake trout, and Chinook salmon will hit them also.

They're on the bottom row to the right- They look HUGE, but it's nice to change up and try something new.

I remove the treble and put on a 7-0 Mustad-

They dip and dive like a Tomic, but there's a lot more action as they are segmented.

New g2.jpg

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
A close-up. The White "Flat Stik" on the bottom has rattles in it---and it's 8"+ overall--
Try to eat THAT, coho....
Ddog--no kidding... when the coho are in, it's great to switch to lighter tackle...I like a spinning rod with 10 lb line.
You can catch them on just about anything in the box.

These plugs ALL bob, dip, and weave in the water like crazy.

Stormy1.jpg

·
Registered
361 Posts
I just got back from Anaheim visiting Mickey and friends and snuck off to Melton Tackle and grabbed a few of these. I got 3.5 and 4" ones to try casting offshore when the Coho are thick on light tackle. Although after seeing the action I might give them a go off the rigger as well. They look to be decent quality and I really like the Sardine pattern one which is really a Pilchard pattern that we all seem to buy for offshore fishing. Can't wait to try them out.....��

·
Registered
315 Posts
I got one to experiment with a couple of weeks ago and will run it off the rigger on my large rudder. I think if I drop it back 25-50 feet it should produce some nice action. I will be dragging the small sardine colored plug.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts