BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to take my son out to catch his first Pink, and have never fished a river like the Fraser so I have a few questions for all you knowledgable fishermen:

1. I've read on other messages that when the pinks come in you can basically catch them anywhere from the shore. But I assume there some places better than others. Specifically, does anyone one know 2 or 3 areas of the North Arm of the Fraser that would be better to fish?

2. Also, the tide...I've read that it's better to fish an hour before to an hour after high tide? Is that correct? How much does the ability to land a fish decrease on a lower tide i.e., is it realistically even worth fishing on a lower tide?

3. I've also read that casting spoons or spinners or "anything pink" will work. Do you cast against the tide or with the tide? Also, I'd think one could lose a lot of lures. Am I mistaken or correct? Any other fishing methods as successful?

I know this amounts to a mini lesson, but after reading posts on this sight, there is definitely experienced fishermen here and whole lot of collective wisdom.

Thanks a bunch. :)

· Registered
9 Posts
Hi JA
Ive only tried for pinks at island 22 in chilliwack a few years ago and it was amazing. everyone was limiting out. they were biting anything pink and we did really well with copper spoons (homeade from someone we met there!) i cant tell you about the tides though, it didnt seem to affect us there that day bu it could have been just a really good day. any sandbar on the fraser from maple ridge out would probably be good.
Hope this helped a bit.

· Registered
209 Posts
There's no secret place to fish for Pinks. I find tide changes a good time to fish but in all honesty, if there are fish finning or jumping, that's a good time. Tidal changes seem to push the fish so that they end up in front of you at some point.

Places to fish?

Tons. Anywhere along the Fraser as mentioned earlier. There's a park/pier along Brunette Ave in New Westminter, where the old Harbour Air used to be. #3 Road pier in Richmond. Annacis island, Haney Dock, Two Bit Bar, Duncan Bar, Fraser Foreshore Park, Triangle Bar, Slaughterhouse Bar,Under the Port Mann Bridge, Brownsville.... you get the idea. There's a couple of books on Barfishing the Fraser that will tell you some spots.

As to losing gear. Well, that comes with the territory. As more people target pinks and start losing gear, then more gear gets hooked on the gear that was lost and so on and so on and so on.....
Unless you fish off a deep area like the Haney Dock.

I find that you just chuck out your spoon and retrieve. Slow retrieve works best for me but you should still work your spoon for max effect. Other methods of fishing are really dictated by what is legally allowed (I hear nets work great! :naughty: :happy:) and by the conditions you're fishing. Oh, and you can catch them on the fly.
Hope that helps somewhat.

Oh and if you're fishing below the train bridge at Mission you need a tidal license and salmon stamp. Above the same bridge at Mission you need a freshwater license and stamp but there's currently no fishing for salmon.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Merc hit thenail right on the head! Like i've stated over the years i fish for pinks in the lower fraser at derby reach in fort langley and all i use is a spoon called the HOTROD! And my next go to spoon is the gibbs Croc! I usually check the tides around new westminister and if i see a high tide at 4pm i head down to the river around 2pm! Ususally in the 2 hrs before the high tide and about an hr after i have my limit witch i usually share with family members who are not fortunate to have fresh fish all the time! I'm sure you son will have a blast fishing for pinks in the lower fraser, Just cast and retreave! Most of my fish i've caught were hooked within 10-15 ft from shore! But cast as far as you can and repeat the process untill ya hook fish! And remember always check your hook and make sure it's razer sharp, and don't forget to pinch your barb on your hook! Good luck!

CK

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd like to thank TJ, Merc and coho_killer for providing some practical info to my questions. The info does help clarify a things I wasn't sure about. If anyone has other useful tidbits, I'm definitely all ears ;D

Ashton, from the posts I've read so far, the main wave of pinks have not yet started. Sounds as though a small number of pinks that trickle in before the main schools. But definitely from the posts, it also seems that they should be in anytime within the next 10 days.

We're really looking forward to it.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
ja welcome to the greatest fishing forum on the planet! :thumbup: Any other questions you might have, don't be afraid to ask! members on this forum will be more than happy to help you and your son get into fish! :beerchug:

CK

· Registered
131 Posts
Been playing around in the NewWest area for about a week now and finaly saw the first fish landed last night.
:pissed: Not on my line though.
They are comin should be anytime now.

G

·
I WENT THIS MORNING AT DERBY REACH PARK IN FORT LANGLEY, TOO EARLY (6:30AM) TO CATCH THE HIGH TIDE (AT 6:32), BUT DIDN'T SEE AND CAUGHT NOTHING. THE SUN WAS SHINNING SO DECIDED TO HEAD HOME AND GO SWIM IN A LAKE. WILL TRY IN A FEW DAYS. HOPE YOU GET LUCKIER THAN ME.

PIZ

· Registered
47 Posts
I usually check the tides around new westminister and if i see a high tide at 4pm i head down to the river around 2pm!
Very sound advise, but I like to go 3 hours before high tide. You'll get a better spot before the crowds show up, and have a chance to get at the first "wave" of fish coming in.
Most of my fish i've caught were hooked within 10-15 ft from shore! But cast as far as you can and repeat the process untill ya hook fish!
Slow retrieve works best for me but you should still work your spoon for max effect.
Word. :thumbup: Times I thought I hit bottom, but was a fish on. :happy:

· Registered
45 Posts
was out today on the lower fraser and they seemed to be bubbling everywhere. hooked atleast 15 and managed 3 to the boat. Soon as high tide came it seemed to die off. it can only get better now :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.