BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lost a nice chrome coho in the morning, the guy beside me bonked a beauty 8 lber and lost one more, battled some big chum and then around noon the bite died off completely......went for a drive to try and find some more water to fish but the crowds were thick every where, fished a large run up river but there were no takers so finally ended up going back to where i started the day and around 4:00 the coho started showing...from 4:30 untill 6:30 it was non stop coho moving through but tite lipped for everyone, with about 15 rods stretched through the area there was one coho landed and one lost, they were just not going to take anything but man were they thick, at least some numbers are starting to show and things should pick up with this rain

fricken most blatent snagfest above me i have ever seen, so bloody frustrating you just want to dump these idiots in the river, these 3 goofs were just letting their gear rest in the slack deeper water and rippin back as hard as they could on every cast, they were almost falling backwards they were rippin so hard, i made a couple of loud comments up to them and gave the evil eye as often as i could but the english language was not one of their strengths either.....one guys drags a small back snagged coho up on the rocks then after a couple of minutes throws it back in and sure enough 20 minutes later it is belly up in the river....finally before i left i could not take it any more so went up and parked in between two of them to disrupt their ways and made nice long drifts from the top of the run so they had to wait to get their gear into the slow water in front of them......the guy to my left snags a big chum and says fish on and i looked at him and said ya right man don't you mean snagged fish on and i was not moving for this idiot so he drags his quite dark chum on tho the beach and kicks it farther up and keeps this old boot.....then the two guys start nattering to each other and were quite choked that i was screwing up their action, so i was happy about that, stayed untill almost dark just to mess with these guys, man i wish there was something that could be done with garbage like this,,,,,sorry, had to rant about this one

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Nocoho you shound like you were fishing with the guys we almost got in a fist fight with by the train bridge. snagging all the way :naughty: they thought they were the heroes of the run :wallbash: my dad spoke out as always which turned into like a 6on1 while i was re-rigging my brothers line (broke off on a chum) or i would have been right in there. one guy even had the nuts to shove my dad a couple times :naughty: :naughty: My bro kept saying that we should go kick some aSs :happy: which i was also thinking but i dont need that kind of trouble sometimes. My dad just kept threatening to charge the guy with assault for touching him LOL and another fisherman stepped in also to help break it up and that guy told my dad that the guy that shoved him had done the same to a woman the day before :pissed: He is lucky we werent there for that cause he would have been swimming :pissed: Im getting sick of this ShIt out there, it has got to stop. one of there guys even had his kids with him teaching them how to snag like pro's :wallbash: :wallbash:

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Words of wisdom jbj. Many times the urge is so overwhelming that I could hardly hold back.

This is a very passionate sport that most have very connected feelings. As jetboatjim stated :

"Observe Record and Report". Be aware of your surrounding, it's a jungle out there!!

:beerchug: Marko

· Registered
1,199 Posts
jetboatjim said:
all I need to say is you not a CO/fisheries officer.....so MYOB, and observe record and report.

you will have less problems this way.
Just a question - when you call them do they actually come? And if so how long does it take for them to get there??? (Just wondering)

· Registered
1,165 Posts
And the more reports they get about a certain area it helps them to find the problem areas on the river. This way they can concentrate there patrols to those areas.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
fishnfvr said:
jetboatjim said:
all I need to say is you not a CO/fisheries officer.....so MYOB, and observe record and report.

Just a question - when you call them do they actually come? And if so how long does it take for them to get there??? (Just wondering)
It all depends if they are busy on more serious issues like problem bears. I know that the CO's here in Maple Ridge come right away when called if they are not dealing with a bear.

· Registered
917 Posts
Yeah, I checked out this area a while ago and there were guys snagging fish for sure. One guy didn't even have a float on - but at least he had a spinner. He hooked tons of fish, most were fouled. At least he released all foul hooked fish (not that we should expect obeying the law as extraordinary). However, I do question the point of fighting a fouled hooked fish for a long period of time. I got crossed up with a guy across from me and upon untying the mess - I noticed a nice 1/0 hook with a big piece of yarn to go along with the 5 ft leader. Hmmm - what's the large hook and long leader for anyway? I thought about advising that his rig was far too big for the spooky coho - but decided he knew what he was doing.

I don't see a problem with politely advising of the correct way to fish - or even better, sharing information about my set-up if I'm hooking the fish when people ask. However, these guys likely know what they're doing and as long as they don't bother me directly (e.g. cast over me with a fish on, etc.) I'm not going to have a problem. At least on that day, when someone had a fish on - everyone in the vicinity would pull out and let the person fight the fish.

As far as ORR - unless you witness illegal activity (e.g. keeping foul hooked fish, bonking wild coho, or intentionally trying to snag fish in the body), there's no point. I just don't see how a CO/fisheries officer can cite a violation as these guys can argue that they're trying to hook the fish in the mouth. After all, they're releasing all foul hooked fish, and there's no leader length restriction on that river as far as I know. Believe me, I don't agree with these techniques, but that's the other side of the argument... :-\.

Sorry to hear of your experience Hook. Sometimes there's absolutely no point in trying to reason with idiots.......I mean, potentially aggressive persons. The best thing to do is lead by example - which I know you do.

· Registered
691 Posts
jetboatjim said:

exactly :thumbup:....i know its hard to but just walk away from them as you'll be better off not to confront them and play their game

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Hey guys some great points here and this is a very tough issue. I have split and moved this here so we can all discuss wether or not we choose to try and educate other anglers on the river without hijacking Flyguy's Vedder River report.

· Registered
917 Posts
Just took a closer read of nocoho's post and - yeah...very frustrating. Sometimes it's not worth fishing near guys like that. They'll end up spooking all the fish anyway. The other thing that is hard to see is mistreatment of the fish. I've been told to f-off many times when politely mentioning that fish intended to be released need to stay in the water and not dragged up on the rocks and kicked back into the water. Once I get the "f-off", I find it's not worth the potential violence to get into a heated discussion.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
I had some run-ins with a group of guys just u/s of the train bridge on saturday evening. Made my blood boil but I just walked away, I personally will not risk violence.

Great job on keeping this civil and constructive guys we appreciate it!

· Banned
934 Posts
To be honest i don't know if i could control my self that well if someone got physical with me if my fiancee is with me i would be able to but if I'm out there by my self i just dint know but then again that's why i just observe record and report because if you say something who knows how it going to turn out

· Registered
840 Posts
if you see a car run a red light or speed over the posted speed limit do you do anything? ............nope, they will eventually get caught.

criminal lawyer costs me about 3000$ a day , 5 days in court . you do the math, the police dont care if you think you were right.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Words of wisdom from JBJ. I always carry a camera and use it mostly to record guys and girls breaking the law. I know 99% of you guys carry camera and they should be used for this and not just trophy and hero shots. 2 years ago I ran into the same problem on another flow and spent 2 hours just taking pictures and video of these fellows. I did not say a word to them, I stood right beside them while they continued to snag chum and keep them. One guy even ask me to send him the pictures and gave me his e-mail address which I sent with my pictures to the C/O's along with a pictures of the boat and the BC number on the side. Just remember the more information you can get will only help the C/O's in doing their jobs, I.E. clear photo's of the person and the violation and a photo of their boat and number or vechile and plate number

Too all you Vedder vigalantes heres something you should remember, YOU ARE NOT C/O's. I know you think you are doing good but infact it could the woarse mistake of you life. Do what I do, stand back take a deep breath, bite your lip taste the blood and start recording............

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.