BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experimenting with sickle hooks for 3 years now and have found them to be the cats a$$. For those of you who don't know what they here is one made by Matzuo

and another made by RVRFSHR

and a sickle jig hook

I started using them for bar fishing the Fraser 3 years ago with large spin-n-glos and have noticed more than double the fish to the beach. Next was using them on my spoons and spinners - same results. This year I have tied quite few jigs for chum in the Fraser, tied in pink/purple then tipped with a bit of prawn, these work very well with double digit landings. Just tying a bunch of jigs for steelhead now. I put the success of these hooks down to the "vee" shape instead of the circular shape of regular hooks. I find these hooks don't roll out a fishes mouth like normal ones when they are flipping and rolling around. The Matzuos are available at Canadian Tire and the Rvrfshr hooks are available at http://store.rvrfshr.com Try some out and you'll be surprised.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
I just started using them for my jigs and they are the best. I have hooked so many chum on them and they still do not need to be sharpened. :thumbup:

· Registered
237 Posts
Canadian Tire sells that brand of hooks ....all my spinners for summer coho had sickle siwashes affixed to them :thumbup: I landed almost every coho I had on this summer.
I was looking at the octopus siwash just the other day but not all the stores carry them in quantity so you have to know the stores with a good fishing department.

· Registered
186 Posts
I was wondering what those were ..I picked one out of the middle of the stave river when the dam was shut off .... never seen a hook like it before. ... was attached to a ....... :hmmm: .... coho set-up .....anyways already gave it back to the river gods.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
the hook is offset and has a notch at the bend so instead of popping out when the fish decides to roll like a normal octopus or siwash, it grips the fish, because the flesh is locked in the groove.

To noxcape, i am trying to order them off of rvrfshr products, good deal but once again no plastic. anyone willing, and then cash payment, and a few free hooks

· Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry yg but there is no offset, notch or grooves in either brand of these sickle hooks, only the "vee" shape as opposed to semi circular in the bottom of the hooks.

· Registered
143 Posts
Tried the Matzuos on sturgeon a few years age and found them brittle. Broke a couple, so went back to Gammies.
Those Rvrfshr ones look like their worth a try though. Their spinners look nice and heavy too. Can anybody tell me how well they spin?

Baiter.

· Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I only use the Matzuos for barfishing, Gammies for sturgeon. Rvrfshr spinners spin great, I use them in sizes 3,4,5, got 60 or 70 all made up and a couple hundred spoons. Size 4 silver spinner is my favorite, 10 and 12 lb coho does came home with me yesterday and todays were 8,9 and 11 lb.(2 bucks on 2/5 oz silver spoon)

· Registered
940 Posts
masterbaiter said:
Those Rvrfshr ones look like their worth a try though. Their spinners look nice and heavy too. Can anybody tell me how well they spin?

Baiter.
Yes they are nice and heavy. They get down very fast and spin very well. Doesn't take much to get them spinning or keep them spinning. They are well worth the money in my opinion if you are looking for a quality spinner.

The guys that came up with them are 2 top notch fishermen as well. They not only make the products, they use them as well.

Thrasher

· Registered
20 Posts
yes they have open eyed hooks, I have been playing around with their spinners a little recently and can say I'm pleased with them. I have been a vibrax fan for years, and won't be purchasing vibrax anymore. The one thing that I can say about these spinners is that if you have not done much spinner fishing these are a great choice. They are heavy and get down quickly and it don't take much to keep them spinning.

On a side note the hooks while very sharp don't seem to hold up very well in the salt.

RD

· Banned
934 Posts
yg you can go to safeway and buy a bass pro shop gift card and order them on line with the gift card that's how i order my stuff from bass pro and they have the mustad hooks and owner hooks in that model, just another option for you

· Registered
454 Posts
Just bought some 8/0 Matzuos reds at Canadian Tire today. Going to try them tomorrow for Sturgeon.
Tied the leaders just now and noticed the hooks bend when I tightened the knot. Gammies are much stronger with heavier wire than Matzuos. :2cents:
Will see if a Sturgeon can straighten a Matzuos hook. :hmmm: :hmmm:

FOCB

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.